Basic Sciences Department Chair for College of Medicine
JOB DESCRIPTION AND POSITION SPECIFICATIONS
JOB TITLE: Basic Sciences Department Chair for College of Medicine
SUPERVISOR: Dean for the College of Medicine
EFFORT: 1.0 FTE, full time, exempt
Obligations of the Department Chair The information provided below is a general description of the Department Chair’s responsibilities; it is not intended to provide an all-inclusive list of responsibilities.
Hours: The Department Chair must be a full-time exempt employee. The Department Chair will also hold a faculty appointment in the academic department for which he or she serves as Chair.
Teaching Load: The Department Chair will be expected to contribute to the teaching load of the Department in which he/she holds an appointment. The amount of teaching will be negotiated annually with the Dean.
Responsibilities: Department Chairmen serve at the discretion of the Dean and carry out the responsibilities of the academic department including, but not restricted to:
- Providing leadership and governance to all faculty and staff appointed to the department.
- Recommending academic appointment and recruitment of faculty, composed of members from the departments.
- Assigning teaching responsibilities to optimally deliver the professional curriculum.
- Providing opportunity for and assisting each member of the faculty to achieve their optimal professional development in teaching, scholarly activity, and professional service.
- Conducting annual and evaluations of departmental faculty and staff as required by CNUCOM policy, and making recommendations pertaining to salary adjustments and personnel actions to the Dean.
- Reviewing the departmental pool of applicants for promotion and formulate recommendations for academic promotion to the Faculty Academic Rank and Promotion Committee in the College.
- Providing mid-term promotion review and support to faculty planning to apply for promotion.
- Managing the departmental budget as directed by the Dean in accordance with CNUCOM policies.
- Department Chairmen may be assisted in his/her responsibilities by other faculty members appointed to serve as vice chair, program directors or coordinators or in other specific administrative functions. Such appointments are through approval by and action of the Dean and will be limited as described in the Bylaws of California Northstate University.
- In performing these duties, the chair is expected to seek the advice of faculty colleagues and COM administrators in a systematic way, and to provide for the conduct of department affairs in an orderly fashion through department meetings and the appointment of appropriate committees.
- The appointee should be receptive to questions, complaints, and suggestions from members of the department, and from students, and should take appropriate action on them.
- To Schedule and recommend to the Dean sabbatical leaves and other leaves of absence for member of the departments.
- To be responsible for departmental observance of proper health and safety regulations per California Northstate University and CNUCOM health and safety policies.
- To maintain records and prepare reports in accord with University procedures.
- To report any failure of a faculty or staff member to carry out responsibilities and to recommend and very, as appropriate, disciplinary action.
Criteria for Appointment:
* Outstandingscholarlyand/orprofessional t.
* Abilitytotheresourcesofthedepartment,includingfacultyand staff,physicalfacilitiesandbudgetinaccordwithity policies and procedures.
* Abilitytofosterprivateandgrantfundedsupporttothecollege California
* Although service as chair is at the pleasure of the Dean, a chair normally serves for a period of three to five years.
* A chair may be continued beyond five years of service only after a mandatory review of the appointee’s service and a report to the President by the Dean.
* For academically related matters (e.g., ensuring sufficient numbers of teaching faculty for inpatient rotations) the chairs report directly to the Dean of the College of Medicine through the Vice Dean.
Department of Basic Sciences will include faculty holding academic appointment in one or more of the biomedical sciences relative to medicine: Anatomy, Histology, Cell Biology, Pathology, Molecular, biology (biochemistry), Physiology, Microbiology, Pharmacology, Biostatistics, Genetics and Genomics, Embryology.
Applications will be reviewed upon receipt. For full consideration, candidates should provide curriculum vitae with at least three references. All candidates are asked to provide a cover letter, articulating how their knowledge, experience, and beliefs have prepared them to function in support of California Northstate University's vision and mission statements.
Please submit your cover letter, curriculum vitae, list of references, and any additional information to the HR Department. Review of applicants will begin immediately and will continue until positions are filled.
California Northstate is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply. For inquiries, please contact us by email or telephone: (916) 686-7400.
Share this job with your network:
Diversity Profile: University
AAUP COMPENSATION SURVEY DATAView more
Apply for Basic Sciences Department Chair for College of Medicine
Already uploaded your CV? Sign in to apply instantly