Department Faculty, Clinical Psychology
Job location: New Orleans, LA
Employment Type: Full-time
Posted data: 2020-03-05
The Chicago School of Professional Psychology is an independent professional graduate school with a dynamic student body and a professionally accomplished faculty. Our curriculum and training opportunities prepare graduates to deliver outstanding professional services emphasizing the ability to understand and work with diverse populations.
For its new innovative Clinical Psychology Psy.D. program at Xavier University of Louisiana, The Chicago School of Professional Psychology is currently seeking outstanding practitioner-scholar applicants for Department Faculty. Specific duties for this New Orleans-based position include teaching at a graduate level in various subjects that include the Department’s four orientations of Cognitive-Behavioral, Humanistic-Existential, Psychodynamic, and Systems. Faculty members also teach courses in Assessment, Research Methods/Statistics, and in concentration areas that include Child/Adolescent, Forensics, Neuropsychology, and Health Psychology. Applicants with expertise in assessment and research methods are especially encouraged to apply. Finally, the ability to mentor a diverse student body, utilize technology/varied educational methods, and support student scholarship are important qualities.
Over the course of the three-semester academic year, Clinical Psy.D. faculty members may be responsible for teaching, student advisement, chairing dissertations, research/scholarship, professional service to the School and community, and administration. While faculty members are fundamentally responsible for teaching in accordance with TCS's workload policy, adjustments to an individual's teaching load may be made by the Department Chair based on Department needs first and individual talents and abilities second.
- Teach over the course of three semesters (at least 18 units)
- Hold office hours on a weekly basis
- Remain current in field of study/teaching expertise and update course content to reflect knowledge updates
- Prepare course syllabi and plans in accord with Department requirements
- Select textbooks and teaching aids as required
- Classroom instruction including lectures, demonstrations, discussions, or other appropriate modes of education delivery in a higher education setting
- Develop, and regularly update, a system for ongoing evaluation of teaching and student learning
- The position will require teaching in, and supervising doctoral dissertation research using empirical research methods
- Additional teaching experience in any of the following areas preferred: Research Methods or related courses, Assessment, Diversity in Clinical Psychology
- Maintain an advisee load according to Department needs
- Spend time with advisees to provide mentorship on matters related to their academic, curricular, and career development
- Mentor advisees in preparing their vita and training application materials, as well as write recommendation letters
- Assist the Department Chair in documenting student progress through the program; when necessary, this includes crafting individual Academic Development Plans for Advisees, tracking their compliance, and documenting their progress
- Present progress of advisees to Faculty at semester Student Review meetings, meet with advisees to gather additional information or communicate Faculty concerns, and report back to Faculty on the results
- Scholarship may include qualitative/quantitative research, presentations at professional conferences, scholarship-based community service, etc.
o Professional Service
- Maintain scholarly activities that further the practice of professional psychology
- Foster education of, and interest in, student service in the community
- Engage in community service
- Participate in Departmental functions, including but not limited to participating in the analysis of student progress, assisting in general faculty searches, and admissions activities, contributing to general and specific curriculum development activities, mentoring of new faculty members, and other related duties as assigned
- Attendance at faculty meetings and participation in the Faculty Council is an expectation.
- Service on committee(s) as agreed upon with Department Chair, including Departmental and Institutional Committees.
o Ph.D. or Psy.D. in Clinical Psychology preferred.
o Certain courses require State licensure as a psychologist; licensed or license-eligible in Louisiana within two years of hire
o Teaching experience of at least 3 years preferred
o Record of scholarship and community service preferred
o Ability to behave in a collegial and professional manner with all members of TCS community.
o Ability to adhere to the highest professional conduct and ethical standards of the professional of psychology.
o Expertise and experience in quantitative/qualitative research methods
For more information about The Chicago School of Professional Psychology visit www.thechicagoschool.edu
The Chicago School of Professional Psychology offers a generous compensation and benefits package, as well as the opportunity to work for a leader in the field of education. Some of our key benefits include: generous paid time-off, medical and dental coverage, company-paid life and disability insurance, retirement plan with employer contribution, multiple flexible spending accounts (FSA), tuition reimbursement, professional development, and regular employee appreciation events.
The Chicago School of Professional Psychology is an Equal Opportunity Employer.