Instructor & Academic Advisor (Part-Time) - Corsicana
Job location: Commerce TAMUC
Employment Type: Part-time
Posted data: 2019-07-16
Job TitleInstructor & Academic Advisor (Part-Time) - CorsicanaAgencyTexas A&M University - CommerceDepartmentCurriculum And InstructionProposed Minimum SalaryCommensurateJob LocationCommerce, TexasJob TypeFacultyJob Description
INSTRUCTIONS TO APPLICANT:
During the application process you have one opportunity to upload documents as a combined PDF. The page “My Experience” has an area provided under Resume/CV to drop or upload the file.
This one combined PDF must include:
- Cover Letter
- Three professional references with complete contact information (Unsolicited letters of recommendation will not be considered).
- Transcripts – If required for the position (Unofficial will be accepted with application. Official transcripts are required at time of verbal offer).
If transcripts are from an international institution, it is the responsibility of the prospective faculty member to have the transcripts translated and evaluated by an approved credential evaluator.
All documents must be electronically submitted through the Texas A&M Online Employment Services website to be considered. Incomplete or improperly submitted applications may be excluded from consideration.
The Instructor & Academic Advisor (50%) serves as a part-time lead academic undergraduate advisor in Corsicana for the Department of Curriculum & Instruction and teaches undergraduate courses at the discretion of the department. Position will be responsible for performing duties at the Navarro campus in Corsicana, main campus, the Mesquite Metroplex campus, online and potentially other sites.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Serves as undergraduate advisor.
- Provides students with updated academic information about BSIS graduation requirements.
- Conducts orientation registration sessions and attends new student orientations.
- Participates in outreach for new transfer students.
- Assists with coordinating graduation checks.
- Attends new and ongoing training for advisors.
- Works collaboratively with faculty and staff to implement departmental programs and Student Learning Outcome Assessments.
- Works with public school partners and community colleges on collaborative projects and mutual goals.
- Provides service to the department, college, university, public schools, and community.
- Assists with undergraduate student degree plans, career information, course schedules, department recruitment and retention efforts. Additionally, assists students with registration through Degreeworks and Banner.
- Instructs one course per semester at the discretion of the department head.
- Education: Master’s degree in Curriculum & Instruction or related discipline.
- Experience / Knowledge / Skills: Three (3) years elementary or middle school classroom teaching experience. Academic advising experience. Excellent presentation skills. Experience with Microsoft Office, especially MS Word and Excel.
- Ability to: Ability to multitask and work cooperatively with others. Ability to travel with students and for recruitment purposes.
- Licensing/Professional Certifications: Current Teacher Certification. Valid driver’s license.
- Physical Requirements: None
- Other Requirements: None
PREFERRED EDUCATION / SKILLS/ EXPERIENCE:
Three (3) or more years of experience in advising undergraduate education students. Experience teaching undergraduate teacher education and/or reading courses. Working knowledge or familiarity with Banner and Degreeworks systems, the A&M-Commerce undergraduate catalog, especially BSIS degree plans in the Department of Curriculum & Instruction. Texas K-6 Teacher Certification Generalist with Bilingual or ESL specialization.
SUPERVISION OF OTHERS:
May supervise student workers and/or graduate assistants
This document represents the major duties, responsibilities, and authorities of this job, and is not intended to be a complete list of all tasks and functions. Other duties may be assigned. Texas A&M University-Commerce is committed to promotion of diversity and thus the all employees are expected to facilitate a work environment that encourages knowledge of, respect for, and ability to engage with those of other cultures or backgrounds. This job description is not an employment agreement or contract. The University has the exclusive right to alter this job description at any time without notice.
All positions are security-sensitive. Applicants are subject to a criminal history investigation, and employment is contingent upon the institution’s verification of credentials and/or other information required by the institution’s procedures, including the completion of the criminal history check.
Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action/Veterans/Disability Employer committed to diversity.