Dir Development Communications
Dir Development Communications
University of San Francisco
USF Hilltop Campus
Dir Development Communications
The Director of Development Communications drives the university's marketing and communication strategy for the Office of Development and is responsible for managing its execution in consultation with division and department leadership. The Director manages the Development Communications team and collaborates with key partners across the division in planning and creating communications that educate, cultivate, and inspire philanthropic support for and engagement with USF.
The Director is responsible for ensuring that all donor, alumni and prospect communications deliver a consistent, clear and compelling message about the value of the University of San Francisco and the impact of philanthropy. The Director will manage the department's content and channel strategy, in consultation with division and department leadership, in support of both ongoing and campaign communications goals. The Director will oversee execution of new communications for internal and external audiences; evaluate and elevate existing communications; drive cross-division collaboration on the timing of communications to ensure well-timed engagement with key audiences; and oversee results. The Director must be an excellent communicator, researcher and problem-solver with the versatility and judgment to draft clear and consistent messages for a variety of audiences. As a resource for key partners within Development, the Director will collaborate in creating communications plans and assist colleagues in identifying how and when to communicate for best results.
Serving as the senior writer and editor for the division, the Director must be a strong storyteller with the ability to translate complex concepts into persuasive communications. The Director will also review and approve messaging and communications written by others outside Development Communications. The Director must be an expert collaborator and consensus builder and will be able to effectively communicate the goals of the development division to other business units and schools across the university to ensure the success of the mission of the University of San Francisco. The Director leads a team of at least 2 full-time staff.
Full Job Description:
- Utilize marketing and communications principles and practices in the creation of targeted content, timing of messages and delivery of print and digital collateral to ensure the university is staying top of mind with its various stakeholders and in keeping with higher-education best practices.
- In collaboration with the Senior Director, drive a development marketing and communications strategy that tells the university's story, including donor impact, supports division priorities, advances the campaign, and creates a consistent experience for constituents.
- Drive development and implementation of the Development Communications content and channel strategy in support of campaign and ongoing communications. This includes oversight of websites, e-communications, social media, print collateral, video content, magazine content, event communications, and more. Ensure regular updates to existing content and the creation of new content that demonstrates the impact of giving to the University. Oversee the tracking and measurement of results; report out to leadership.
- Act as liaison to the Office of Communications and Marketing to execute key marketing communications efforts while ensuring consistency, alignment with USF brand, timely production of communication pieces and effective engagement internally and externally.
- Serve as the senior writer and editor for the Development Communications team and the division, using best practices in communications and storytelling to translate complex concepts into persuasive communications.
- Collaborate with the editor of USF Magazine to create development-focused and campaign-related content.
- Collaborate across the division - major gifts, annual giving, alumni engagement, events, stewardship, corporate and foundation, gift planning, parent relations - to encourage consistency in messaging and adherence to best practices in communications.
- Develop key communications vehicles for USF leadership so that fundraising and campaign priorities are consistently messaged and supported. This may include talking points, presentations, position papers and other vehicles, as needed.
- Supervise the Development Communications team of two FTE plus interns. Set team goals, mentor, motivate and manage direct reports.
- Oversee departmental budget.
- Research best practices in development communications; propose new products and delivery methods; and identify compelling stories and visuals to support the strategic goals of development, fundraising and the University.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's degree in marketing, communications, journalism, public relations, or related fields.
- Seven or more years of professional experience in communications, including experience developing effective marketing communications plans. Experience in higher education or non-profit development marketing and/ or communications preferred.
- Exceptional writing and editing skills, with the ability to quickly find the heart of a story and its supporting facts. Must be a creative thinker with the ability to use words and visuals to motivate and excite audiences.
- Demonstrated leadership and project management skills, including multi-tasking and the management of multiple projects for diverse purposes and audiences.
- Thorough knowledge of how to leverage market principles, communications vehicles and channels, including print and digital, and knowledge of effective messaging and writing styles.
- Demonstrated capacity to manage and motivate a team.
- High aptitude for collaboration and demonstrated success at working as part of a team.
- Demonstrated experience in tracking and reporting on key metrics and campaign results. Passion for data-driven decision making.
- Passion for working in a diverse, multi-cultural environment.
- Willingness to learn new skills and applications and implement new ideas.
- Advanced degree in related field, such as marketing, digital media, or related fields.
- Experience working in higher education environment.
- Direct experience with comprehensive/ capital campaign communications.
To apply, visit https://usfca.wd5.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/USF_Staff/job/USF-Hilltop-Campus/Dir-Development-Communications_R0001110.
The University of San Francisco is located in the heart of one of the world’s most innovative and diverse cities, and is home to a vibrant academic community of students and faculty who achieve excellence in their fields. Its diverse student body enjoys direct access to faculty, small classes and outstanding opportunities in the city itself. USF is San Francisco's first university, and its Jesuit Catholic mission helps ignite a student’s passion for social justice and a desire to “Change the World From Here.” For more information, visit http://www.usfca.edu.
Copyright ©2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency