Administrative Assistant - Campus Facilities
Locations:: Oakland, CA
Posted:: Apr 24, 2019
Closes:: Open Until Filled
Type:: Full-time Non-Exempt
About Mills College:
Located in Oakland, California, in the heart of the San Francisco Bay Area, Mills College is a liberal arts college for women and gender non-binary students, with graduate programs for all genders. Consistently ranked one of the top master's universities and one of the best value colleges in the West by U.S. News & World Report, Mills also has been named one of the Best Colleges in the nation by The Princeton Review. The Mills experience is distinguished by small, interactive classes, one-on-one attention from exceptional faculty, a culture of creative experimentation, and cutting-edge interdisciplinary learning opportunities which empower students to make a statement in their careers and communities. As one of the most diverse liberal arts colleges in the country, we have a strong record of academic success with first-generation students, students of color, Latinx students, LGBTQ students, and other underrepresented students. Mills College has recently become a Hispanic Serving Institution. Applicants with expertise and experience in supporting and promoting success for Latina/o students are encouraged to apply.
Mills College encourages diversity in hiring and particularly welcomes applications and nominations from women, gender non-binary individuals, and minorities. Mills College seeks to recruit and retain a diverse workforce as a reflection of our commitment to equity, inclusion, and social justice and our desire to maintain the excellence of our faculty. In so doing, we offer our students not only the opportunity to learn about varied disciplines but to engage with diverse perspectives and ways of knowing and learning. For more information, please visit www.mills.edu.
Reports to: Associate Vice President (AVP) for Operations
Summary of Position:
Under the direction the AVP for Operations, provide administrative, clerical and project support to the Facilities Department which includes Engineering, Building Maintenance and Grounds. This position supports the facilities management team to ensure the efficiency and smooth operation of the department.
This position supports the Mission statement of Mills College by delivering excellent support and services to students, staff and faculty. Through its operational excellence, it advances the initiatives of the strategic plan, by ensuring goals are established, monitored and measured to meet the plan's timelines and objectives. This position plays a significant role in supporting sustainability programs and creating a vibrant and inclusive campus life.
Essential Job Functions:
- Receives and dispatches work orders by phone or e-mail. Monitors work order completion. Responds and investigates complaints about incomplete work orders or dissatisfaction with the job.
- Answers inquiries requiring interpretation of routine policies, rules and regulations for the Facilities Department. Assists customers/students by providing general information either in person or by telephone, mail, or email.
- Prepares, proofs and edits documents, correspondence, spreadsheets and reports while meeting established due dates and deadlines.
- Tracks all permits and licenses to ensure compliance to regulations.
- Maintains various Excel tracking sheets to monitor expenditures, including utilities, vehicles, etc. Receives department invoices and codes for approval and payment.
- Answers and directs phone calls to the department. Receives and routes mail.
- Coordinates the flow of information among supervisor, programs, and various groups such as other college staff, students, or community groups.
- Compiles documents and procedure manuals according to established guidelines and provides assistance in areas such as budget preparation, presentations, and record-keeping.
- Maintains and organizes storerooms for excess campus office furniture. Repurpose, as needed.
- Manages office by maintaining office and building supplies, maintaining filing system, sorting and directing department mail.
- Performs related duties as assigned.
Additional Duties and Responsibilities:
- Fill in with examples of common problem solving tasks associated with this position.
- Fill in with examples of unusual or complex problems solving tasks associated with this position.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Multi-line telephones, faxes, scanners,
- Basic computer programs such as email, MS Office suite
- Basic trades information and understanding of building maintenance, grounds and engineering support.
- Basic understanding of regulatory requirements.
- Interpreting and applying policies and procedures and explaining them to others
- Strong organizational skills.
- Interpersonal skills including tact, patience, courtesy.
- Solid judgment and decision making capability.
- Detailed recordkeeping practices
- Meet or exceed the college's attendance and tardiness guidelines.
- Communicate effectively through oral and written mediums.
- Work with diverse academic, cultural and ethnic backgrounds of college students, faculty and staff.
- Follow through consistently on inquiries, requests, and suggestions.
- Maintain confidentiality of sensitive information.
- Work safely in compliance with College Injury and Illness Prevention Plan
Education and Training:
- High School diploma and a minimum of two years experience in an administrative/secretarial capacity required.
- Associate degree, business/vocational technical degree, or specialized training equivalent to satisfactory completion of two years of college education with emphasis in secretarial duties or a closely related field preferred.
- Experience in the construction or building management industry, a plus.
Physical, Mental and Environmental Demands:
- Requires ability to stoop, reach, stand, walk and sit for extended periods of time
- Push and/or pull objects weighing up to 30 pounds, and lift or carry objects weighing up to 15 pounds.
- More than half of time is spent in normal office setting.
- Frequent interruptions and changes to the work schedule.
- The ability to receive shipments.
- Frequent use of computer keyboards.
This position description is not intended to contain a comprehensive list of activities, duties, or responsibilities. Additional duties may be assigned based on business operational needs.
This is a full-time, non-exempt position with an FTE of 1.0. Compensation is commensurate with experience, ranging from $22.00 to $25.00 per hour, and includes an excellent benefits package including medical/dental/vision/life/LTD insurance, 403(b) retirement plan with college-matching after 6 month qualifying period, 10 days of vacation for year one, 15 days of vacation for years 2-10, and 22 days of vacation years 10+ plus, 12 sick days and 17 paid holidays (subject to annual review). Staff members also receive free admission to campus events, use of the pool, fitness center, and tennis courts. Tuition remission is also available after an introductory period. Voluntary benefits include: pet insurance, long-term care insurance, legal-assistance insurance, cellular provider discounts and computer hardware discounts.
Mills College does not permit discrimination based on pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions, race, religious creed, color, national origin or ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, marital status, age, sex, sexual orientation, or gender identity. For more information on Mills' non-discrimination policy, please go to https://inside.mills.edu/administration/administrative_offices/policies/nondiscrimination.php.
All positions are subject to a background check. Prior to the first date of employment, an applicant's background check must be cleared.
Click the "Apply Now" button below and follow instructions to submit the following documents:
- Employee Application
- Cover Letter and
- Salary Requirements
Please note that you can only upload 6 "Other" documents. You can consolidate multiple pages/documents into one file upload. The file size limit for each upload is 10Mb.
Review of applicants will begin immediately; applications will be accepted until the position is filled.