Associate Professor, Department Head of Instructional Services & Assessment #443343 - Position ...
Position DetailsPosition Information Posting Number Classification Title Position Title Associate Professor, Department Head of Instructional Services & Assessment #443343 - Position Available to Current LU Employees Only FLSA Salary Commensurate Job Summary/Basic Function
The Department Head of Instructional Services and Assessment reports to the Dean of the Library. Responsibilities include development and management of the library’s instructional programs, which consist of for-credit courses, continuing education offerings, and library instruction offerings (both classroom sessions and self-paced tutorials). The position is also responsible for coordinating the library’s assessment program, which will include standardized instruments (e.g., LibQual+, MISO), coordination of in-house efforts, including surveys or projects in partnership with other campus units, and consultation and support for assessment efforts within various library programs and units. The Head, Instructional Services and Assessment will be expected to actively work to build and maintain skills, knowledge and awareness of trends and developments in both of these areas and perform in all areas at a level commensurate with the rank of Associate Professor.
Duties and Responsibilities:
• Coordinate, develop, and oversee the operation of the library’s credit-bearing course offerings, growing the program beyond the current course LIBR 1101, into a multi-level/multi-topic program that provides both generalized and specialized classes in various aspects of Information Literacy.
• Develop a non-credit instructional program that may include continuing-education courses, micro-credentialing and multi-course certificates.
• Manage and develop the library’s point-of-need instructional program, including one-shot sessions, online sessions, and self-paced online tutorials.
• Oversee the administration of standardized assessment instruments, such as LibQual+.
• Coordinate analysis of the data generated by standardized instruments.
• Conduct periodic surveys on a library-wide basis, analyzing and reporting results.
• Assist individual units in conducting assessment efforts and analyzing results.
• Work with Systems to create a centralized repository of library assessment data.
• Assist in the preparation of reports, such as SACS, IPEDS, ACRL, etc.
• Manage personnel assigned to Instructional Services and Assessment
• Serve as a member of the Library’s administrative team
• Engage in scholarship and service commensurate with the rank of Associate Professor.
• Serve on university and library committees as appointed by the Dean or other university officials.
• Perform related duties as assigned.
Required: Master’s degree in Library or Information Science from an American Library Association accredited institution. A second master’s degree is also required to serve at the Associate Professor level.
• At least two years of experience leading an instructional program in an academic library setting.
• At least four years of experience participating as an instructor in an academic library setting.
• Supervisory experience.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
• Ability to establish and maintain productive collaborative relationships with students, faculty, and staff.
• Effective oral and written communications skills.
• Ability to effectively engage with individuals and entities outside of the university.
• Desire and record of working to maintain and develop professional knowledge and skills.
• Record of scholarship and service appropriate to appointment as Associate Professor.
Lamar University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability or protected veteran status.Veteran's Preference
Lamar University is proud to provide employment preference to veteran applicants in accordance with Texas 805 Government Code, Section 657.003.Security Sensitive Statement
This position is security-sensitive and thereby subject to the provisions of the Texas Education Code §51.215, which authorizes the employer to obtain criminal history record information.Lamar Expectation of Quality
Employee will support the mission of Lamar by providing high quality, professional services, timely responses and solutions to customer requests.Disclaimer
This job description is intended to convey information essential to understanding the scope of the job and the general nature and level of work performed by job holders within this job. But, this job description is not intended to be an exhaustive list of qualifications, skills, efforts, duties, responsibilities or working conditions associated with the position. This description is subject to modification as the needs and requirements of the position change. Lamar University reserves the right to revise, change or eliminate this job description at any time.
Other duties may be assigned to this position on a regular or occasional basis to respond to the needs of the university.
This Job Description is not intended to be a contract of employment or a legal document. Employment with Lamar University is at will, and may be terminated with or without cause, and with or without notice, at any time. Nothing in this Job Description shall be interpreted to be in conflict with or to eliminate or modify in any way the employment-at-will status of Lamar University employees.Posting Detail Information Open Date 04/24/2019 Close Date 04/30/2019 Open Until Filled No Special Instructions to Applicants Quick Link for Direct Access to Posting http://jobs.lamar.edu/postings/7487 Supplemental Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * What is the highest level of education that you have achieved?
- Master's Degree
- Bachelor's Degree
- * In what area(s) did you receive your degree(s).
(Open Ended Question)
- * The Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board (THECB) maintains a list of Institutions Whose Degrees are illegal to Use in Texas. You can search for your institution on the THECB website at: http://www.thecb.state.tx.us/index.cfm?objectid=3D2801D0-1C9F-11E8-BC500050560100A9. Copy and paste this link into a web browser in order to search under "Fraudulent or Substandard Institutions" for your college/university attended for your degree. Please check your answer BEFORE you submit your application. HR is not responsible for checking your answer nor resubmitting your application back into the pool if you do not answer this question correctly.As part of your educational qualifications for this position, are you claiming a degree from any of the institutions listed on the THECB website referenced above?
- Yes, my institution IS on this list & IS Not accredited.
- No, my institution is NOT on this list & IS accredited.
- * Are you a current employee of Lamar University?
- * If you are a current LU employee, which department are you employed in and your supervisor's name? Please provide dates of employment (leave the end date blank if still employed).
(Open Ended Question)
- * How many years of teaching experience do you have? In what field of study? Briefly list.
(Open Ended Question)
- * Are you claiming Veteran's Preference in accordance with Texas Senate Bill 805, Section 657.003? FAILURE TO EMAIL THE FOLLOWING REQUIRED DOCUMENTS PER THESE INSTRUCTIONS MAY IMPACT VETERAN'S PREFERENCE: To claim Veteran's Preference under the law you must be: (1) a veteran, including a veteran with a disability; (2) a surviving spouse of a veteran killed on active duty who has not remarried; or (3) an orphan of a veteran if the veteran was killed while on active duty. If claiming Veteran's Preference, you MUST immediately email to [email protected] your specific supporting documentation at the time of application such as the DD Form 214 (member 4 copy), AND, if applicable, the Dept of Veteran's Affairs Verification of Disability Benefits Letter if claiming a service related disability, a DD Form 1300 to include qualifying Death, Birth, and Marriage Certificates if claiming surviving spouse/orphan. Your email MUST also include your name, position number, job title and the department for each position you are applying for. Documents received after a position closes will not be accepted.
- Letter of Interest
- Curriculum Vitae
- Unofficial Transcript 1
- Unofficial Transcript 2
- Statement of Teaching Philosophy