Postdoctoral Research Associate
Posting DetailsPosition Information Job Title Postdoctoral Research Associate Department Civil and Environmental Engineering Full Time/Part Time Full-Time Requisition Number P19083 Open Date 04/23/2019 Close Date Benefits Eligible Yes Position Summary
A collaborative team at Rice University invites applications for a postdoctoral research position under the joint supervision of Profs. Lauren Stadler, Caroline Masiello, and Joff Silberg. The postdoctoral researcher will work on an NSF-funded project focused on environmental applications of synthetic biology.
The specific goals of the project are to understand:
(1) what conditions promote genetic mobilization of antibiotic resistance genes in wastewater communities?
(2) which community members are critical to the transfer of antibiotic resistance genes to pathogens?
The research project will involve the development of biosensors for measuring horizontal gene transfer of antibiotic resistance genes in situ and the deployment of the sensors in bioreactor experiments.Education Required PhD or other Doctoral Degree Major/Discipline
Synthetic biology, bioengineering, environmental engineering, cell biology, biosciences, or related field.Education Preferred Experience Required No experience required Type of Experience Experience Preferred Skills Required
Knowledge in molecular biology, cloning, genetic engineering.Skills Preferred Physical Demands
Must be able to complete laboratory work. May require minor lifting (10lbs).Working Conditions
May be required to work extended hours to meet research project requirements.Security Sensitive Yes Special Instructions to Applicants
Upload two relevant publications under Writing Sample and Writing Sample 2.Quick Link for Posting http://jobs.rice.edu/postings/19290 Job Duties Job Duty Name Research Work Description of Job Duty
- Plans and executes original research projects
- Development of biosensors for measuring horizontal gene transfer of antibiotic resistance genes in situ
- Deployment of the sensors in bioreactor experiments
- Meets project deadlines and reporting requirements
- Attends and participates in laboratory meetings
- Meets with larger collaborative group
- Meets individually with Dr. Lauren Stadler and other members of the research team
- Facilitates collaborations with the multi-disciplinary, multi-institutional project team
- Cover Letter
- Curriculum Vitae
- Writing Sample
- Writing Sample 2
- References/Recommendation Request
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Do you have a PhD or other doctoral degree in synthetic biology, bioengineering, environmental engineering, cell biology, biosciences, or related field?
- Will have by Spring/Summer 2019