Postdoctoral Research Associate
Posting DetailsPosition Information Job TitlePostdoctoral Research AssociateDepartmentCivil and Environmental EngineeringFull Time/Part TimeFull-TimeRequisition NumberP19083Open Date04/23/2019Close DateBenefits EligibleYesPosition Summary
A collaborative team at Rice University invites applications for a postdoctoral research position under the joint supervision of Profs. Lauren Stadler, Caroline Masiello, and Joff Silberg. The postdoctoral researcher will work on an NSF-funded project focused on environmental applications of synthetic biology.
The specific goals of the project are to understand:
(1) what conditions promote genetic mobilization of antibiotic resistance genes in wastewater communities?
(2) which community members are critical to the transfer of antibiotic resistance genes to pathogens?
The research project will involve the development of biosensors for measuring horizontal gene transfer of antibiotic resistance genes in situ and the deployment of the sensors in bioreactor experiments.Education RequiredPhD or other Doctoral DegreeMajor/Discipline
Synthetic biology, bioengineering, environmental engineering, cell biology, biosciences, or related field.Education PreferredExperience RequiredNo experience requiredType of ExperienceExperience PreferredSkills Required
Knowledge in molecular biology, cloning, genetic engineering.Skills PreferredPhysical Demands
Must be able to complete laboratory work. May require minor lifting (10lbs).Working Conditions
May be required to work extended hours to meet research project requirements.Security SensitiveYes Special Instructions to Applicants
Upload two relevant publications under Writing Sample and Writing Sample 2.Quick Link for Postinghttp://jobs.rice.edu/postings/19290 Job Duties Job Duty NameResearch WorkDescription of Job Duty
- Plans and executes original research projects
- Development of biosensors for measuring horizontal gene transfer of antibiotic resistance genes in situ
- Deployment of the sensors in bioreactor experiments
- Meets project deadlines and reporting requirements
- Attends and participates in laboratory meetings
- Meets with larger collaborative group
- Meets individually with Dr. Lauren Stadler and other members of the research team
- Facilitates collaborations with the multi-disciplinary, multi-institutional project team
- Cover Letter
- Curriculum Vitae
- Writing Sample
- Writing Sample 2
- References/Recommendation Request
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Do you have a PhD or other doctoral degree in synthetic biology, bioengineering, environmental engineering, cell biology, biosciences, or related field?
- Will have by Spring/Summer 2019