Job no: 499796
Work type: Staff Full Time
Location: UMass Amherst
Department: University Relations
Categories: Public Relations, Marketing, Communications
About UMass Amherst
UMass Amherst, the Commonwealth's flagship campus, is a nationally ranked public research university offering a full range of undergraduate, graduate and professional degrees. The University sits on nearly 1,450-acres in the scenic Pioneer Valley of Western Massachusetts, and offers a rich cultural environment in a bucolic setting close to major urban centers. In addition, the University is part of the Five Colleges (including Amherst College, Hampshire College, Mount Holyoke College, and Smith College), which adds to the intellectual energy of the region.
Reporting to the Chief Relationship Officer, the Customer Relationship Management (CRM) Director advances Online Education’s strategic goals for branding and marketing by identifying, developing, and managing implementation of a competitive presentation of individual schools and colleges’ content and websites, with a particular focus on digital media. This position requires both strong editorial judgment and a fluent understanding of multimedia venues. Performance is measured by successful implementation of communications strategies supporting campus-wide marketing and advertising efforts aimed at internal and external constituents; and ensures a cohesive content strategy across all platforms. The CRM Director is responsible for content, functionality, editorial, design and maintenance of the individual schools and colleges’ websites, social media outlets, as well as the media that drives attention such as advertising and email marketing.
Website, Content Development & Search Engine Optimization (SEO) Management:
Accountable for website architecture and content strategy, with editorial oversight over site map, and all content and design. Responsible for directing creation of new templates and wireframes. Ability to write technical and functional specifications when necessary. Is also accountable for SEO strategy, keyword management, effective oversight of web traffic and ensuring consistently positive user-experience throughout website and associated digital collateral. Analyzes and consolidates SEO/SEM findings for review by the Chief Relationship Officer and Chief Marketing Officer. Monitors the effectiveness and efficiency of marketing campaigns, including all tracking and management in appropriate tools such as Google Analytics.
Customer Relationship Marketing (CRM):
Works closely with University IT and Online Education on the implementation and management of CRM systems such as Salesforce.
Oversees the development of a robust social media plan, including usage of LinkedIn, Facebook, Youtube/Vimeo, Twitter, blogs and
other outlets. Researches and plans projects that test leading technologies and advises on the adoption of new media practices
across all schools and colleges. Develops a plan to monetize and track success. Guides individual schools and colleges on how to
measure success, and generate reports for central review.
Project and Personnel Management:
Accountable for specs, success measures and timely execution of all projects. Must manage internal and cross-functional teams effectively so that assignments are appropriately delegated and tracked. Clearly communicates to a wide array of people (from programmers to vendors to senior management and University-wide directors). Sets and manages expectations. Plans and organizes projects with Chief Relationship Officer/Chief Marketing Officer. Develops website and social media administrator training workshops and ensures dissemination of best practices, policies and procedures. Builds and manages new cross-functional teams when necessary.
Serves as a liaison for University Relations Department, Online Education and other cross-functional teams to facilitate goals and strategies. Manages digital production and marketing vendor relationships as needed. Facilitates the generation of annual digital communications budgets, plans, and reports.
Performs related duties as assigned or required to meet University goals and objectives.
Minimum Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, Experience, Certifications, Licensure)
- Bachelor’s degree in marketing, communications, information design, technology or related field; Seven years of experience in marketing, communications, information design, technology or related field.
- Excellent planning and web project management skills across multiple simultaneously developing platforms such as websites, social media, apps, mobile, etc. Ability to set, manage and ensure teams meet deadlines.
- Solid analytical and problem solving skills; ability to integrate disparate and fragmented content and processes across departments. Must possess an ability to identify and implement process improvements.
- Excellent collaborator. Ability to work effectively and harmoniously with technical and non-technical colleagues to successfully execute web projects in support of marketing and business development goals.
- Fluency in industry best practice tools and techniques for site optimization, and the capacity to successfully prioritize and implement improvements. A sophisticated understanding of digital user behavior and can apply these insights to develop more user-friendly experiences.
Preferred Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, Experience, Certifications, Licensure)
- Master’s degree in marketing, communications, information design, technology or related field and five years of experience in increasingly senior roles managing websites and/or digital campaigns.
- Experience using various social media platforms and web integration tools. Familiarity with LinkedIn, Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, etc.
- Extensive experience managing websites using Customer Relationship Management Systems (CRMs) and Content Management systems (CMS). Knowledge of multi-media content platforms and databases: HTML5, DRUPAL, CSS, AND PHP programming languages.
PSU Level 29
Special Instructions to Applicants
To apply, please submit a letter of interest, resume, and the names and contact information of three professional references. Applicants should apply by the priority deadline of May 6, 2019, in order to ensure consideration.
UMass Amherst is committed to a policy of equal opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, age, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, military status, or genetic information in employment, admission to and participation in academic programs, activities, and services, and the selection of vendors who provide services or products to the University. To fulfill that policy, UMass Amherst is further committed to a program of affirmative action to eliminate or mitigate artificial barriers and to increase opportunities for the recruitment and advancement of qualified minorities, women, persons with disabilities, and covered veterans. It is the policy of the UMass Amherst to comply with the applicable federal and state statutes, rules, and regulations concerning equal opportunity and affirmative action.
Advertised: Apr 22 2019 Eastern Daylight Time