Associate Dean, Business, Public Services, Information Systems and Mathematics
Associate Dean - Business, Public Services, Information Systems and Mathematics
Hiring Range: Minimum starting salary $67,932 – commensurate with qualifications and experience
Job Type: Full-Time (Salaried)
The Associate Dean reports to the division dean and provides leadership and oversight for an academic division of instructional programs and courses that support the first two years of baccalaureate education and prepare students to directly enter the workforce. In conjunction with the division dean, the associate dean provides a key leadership role in recruitment, professional development, evaluation, and promotion of full-time and adjunct faculty. In close collaboration with the faculty and other academic administrators, the Associate Dean promotes and ensures quality, integrity, currency, and responsiveness of all instructional activities and promotes the division’s vision that advances the College’s mission and contributes to achievement of the College’s goals and objectives for student success. By supporting the division’s innovative partnerships and grant opportunities, the associate dean represents the College in community outreach.
The Division for Business, Public Services, Information Systems and Mathematics contains a wide variety of academic programs including Associate of Science degrees, Associate of Applied Science degrees, Certificates, and Career Studies Certificates that support direct transfer to 4-year colleges and universities, as well as direct pathways to careers. The academic disciplines include Accounting, Administration of Justice, Administrative Support Technologies, Business, Cybersecurity, Early Childhood Development, Geographical Information Systems, Human Services, Information Technologies, Management, Marketing, Mathematics, and Paralegal.
Duties and responsibilities
- Responsible for assisting with the oversight and management of Division in collaboration with the Dean.
- Gives focused attention to budgetary planning and operational processes that effectively support the needs of College.
- Proposes, creates, and implements projects and initiatives that serve the College’s strategic goals for student success, excellence, and innovative partnerships.
- Serves as liaisons with internal and external auditors while ensuring compliance with statutes, policies, regulations and procedures of the VCCS and the Commonwealth of Virginia.
- Directs, plans, organizes, and provides leadership to the day to day operations and recruit, develop, supervise, support, and evaluate full-time and part-time faculty.
- Participates in creating and administering the division budget to ensure effective and efficient use of the division’s resources.
- Leads, manages, and coordinates assessment of college and division goals and of outcomes.
- Resolves student, faculty and staff complaints based on applicable policies and procedures.
- Acts on behalf of the Division Dean and represent the division as needed.
- Ensures compliance with requirements and standards for SACSCOC and specialized or programmatic accreditation with special attention to student learning outcomes.
- Conducts systematic curriculum development and review, ensuring continued excellence in signature programs, and building new and emerging programs.
- Coordinates with program and department chairs on curricula, scheduling, staffing, and assessment.
- Creates faculty class schedule assignments and monitor and report faculty workload.
- Promotes and ensures quality, accuracy, and responsiveness of student advising.
- Promotes effective use of technology in face-to-face and online instruction.
- In conjunction with faculty and administrative staff, develop pathways for timely program completion and meets the needs of students and community stakeholders both on and off campus.
- Works with Workforce Development and business and industry to develop and maintain internship and cooperative education opportunities for students.
- Reviews processes and procedures and collaborate in the implementation of new technologies and workflows to improve services to students.
- Works with four-year colleges and universities to develop and maintain innovative partnerships that provide effective pathways for efficient transfer.
- Provides leadership for special programs and initiatives, to include dual enrollment, early college, and college readiness in conjunction with regional high schools; developmental mathematics; honors; student cohorts and learning communities; service learning.
- Ensures compliance with all Federal/State laws.
- A master’s degree with 18 graduate semester credit hours from a regionally accredited college or university in a discipline served by the Division.
- Experience in curriculum development, assessment and accreditation, integrated higher education student information systems and development and application of academic policies and procedures.
Specialized knowledge and experience in:
- Implementing best practices and innovative strategies that support teaching and learning.
- Supervising personnel, training methodologies, and communication techniques.
- Planning, implementing, and monitoring of budgets
- Managing and developing curriculum.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Financial management and strong analytical skills.
- Exceptional presentation skills.
- Strong customer service skills.
- Leadership ability for team oriented environment.
- Superior strategic and tactical planning skills.
- Work cooperatively with multiple constituencies, both internal and external
- Write effective and accurate reports
- Maintain confidential and sensitive information
- Resolve problems and to develop relevant alternatives and recommendations
- Manage multiple tasks, be organized and detail oriented
- Work at all campus and off site locations
- Work independently and as a part of a project team to meet deadlines
- Train staff and campus services programs and policies
- Ability to use current administrative and instructional information technology hardware, software, platforms, and social media
- Doctoral degree in education leadership, educational administration or any related field.
- Extensive/progressive experience with one or more of the following: dual enrollment, early college, and college readiness in conjunction with regional high schools; developmental mathematics; honors; student cohorts and learning communities; service learning
- Familiarity with SACSCOC accreditation standards as well as any applicable specialized accreditation, certification, and licensure requirements
- Teaching and/or administrative experience at a college or university and experience with college transfer and career & technical programs
Hours of Duty: Will vary, some evenings and weekend may be required
Special Instructions to Applicants
APPLICATION PROCESS: Applicants must submit an online application for this position by visiting the following website: http://virginiajobs.peopleadmin.com/postings/145620. Thomas Nelson does not accept applications by mail, fax or e-mail. Failure to provide a complete application package may decrease the opportunity for interview selection or disqualify the application.
Complete application packages will include:
- Online application: A resume will not substitute for a completed on-line State application. Applicants are encouraged to fully represent their qualifications on the application and must include complete information in all sections.
- Cover letter
- Unofficial copes of college transcripts related to the degree requirement. All transcripts from foreign institutions of higher education must be verified by an evaluation agency.
- Three professional references with title, current email address and telephone number.
- Three letters of recommendation – Preferred, to include a former supervisor, former colleague and a character reference, no relatives. These should be uploaded to the online application system under “Other Documents”.
If you are having difficulty uploading your transcripts or letters of recommendation, please contact the Human Resources Department. The system will only allow you to upload a total file size maximum of 2 MB. Please scan your documents and upload them as a single PDF file.
BACKGROUND CHECK STATEMENT: The selected candidate’s offer is contingent upon the successful completion of an extensive background investigation, which may include: criminal history, employment verification, verification of education and professional reference checks.
Thomas Nelson Community College, an EEO employer, welcomes applications from people of all backgrounds and recognizes the benefits of a diverse workforce. Therefore, Thomas Nelson is committed to providing a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. Employment decisions are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications. We prohibit discrimination and harassment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, mental or physical disabilities, political affiliation, veteran status, gender identity, or other non-merit factors.
Thomas Nelson Community College
Human Resources Department
99 Thomas Nelson Drive
Hampton, VA 23666