Posting DetailsPosting Details Posting Number S02987P Working Title Business Analyst Department CAES Finance and Administration About the University of Georgia
The University of Georgia (UGA), a land-grant and sea-grant university with statewide commitments and responsibilities is the state’s oldest, most comprehensive, and most diversified institution of higher education (http://www.uga.edu/). UGA is currently ranked among the top 20 public universities in U.S. News & World Report. The University’s main campus is located in Athens, approximately 65 miles northeast of Atlanta, with extended campuses in Atlanta, Griffin, Gwinnett, and Tifton. UGA was founded in 1785 by the Georgia General Assembly as the first state-chartered University in the country. UGA employs approximately 1,800 full-time instructional faculty and more than 7,600 full-time staff. The University’s enrollment exceeds 36,000 students including over 27,500 undergraduates and over 8,500 graduate and professional students. Academic programs reside in 17 schools and colleges, as well as a medical partnership with Augusta University housed on the UGA Health Sciences Campus in Athens.About the College/Unit/Department
The UGA College of Agricultural and Environmental Sciences (CAES) is among the best and most established U.S. colleges of agriculture. In its classrooms, its Agricultural Experiment Stations and its statewide network of UGA Cooperative Extension offices, the faculty and staff of CAES are dedicated to discovering, teaching, and delivering the science required for healthy living to flourish in Georgia. Agricultural and environmental sciences are only as important as the food you eat, the clothes you wear and the water and air around you. To improve the quality and guard the safety of life’s necessities, CAES has gathered world-renowned scientists and exceptional students.
The CAES encompasses nine academic departments, six official research centers, and one institute. It offers a diverse and comprehensive research portfolio based on a well-integrated blend of fundamental and translational research. Internationally recognized centers of excellence have emerged in the areas of plant breeding and genomics; food quality, food safety, and product development; and animal genetics, reproductive technology, and nutrition. The CAES operates nine college-wide research and education centers located across the state and comprising more than 11,000 acres, providing unprecedented opportunities for problem-solving research and technology transfer to growers and other stakeholders.
UGA Cooperative Extension is also part of CAES and was founded in 1914 to bring research-based agricultural information to the people of Georgia. County agents and specialists throughout the state share information on issues like water quality, profitability in agribusiness, family wellness, and life skills. UGA Extension coordinates 4-H, Georgia’s largest youth program. Each year, almost 200,000 young Georgians participate in community projects, summer camps and conferences on today’s issues while having fun and learning to work together. UGA Extension reaches more than 2 million Georgians through education programs each year. Millions more rely on UGA Extension’s publications, educational news articles and public television programming for advice and information.
http://www.caes.uga.edu/about/overview.htmlCollege/Unit/Department website http://www.caes.uga.edu/ Posting Type External Retirement Plan TRS or ORP Employment Type Employee Benefits Eligibility Benefits Eligible Full/Part time Full Time Work Schedule Additional Schedule Information
Monday – Friday, 8 am – 5 pm with occasional evening and weekend work to meet performance expectationsAdvertised Salary Commensurate with qualifications Posting Date 04/22/2019 Open until filled No Closing Date 05/10/2019 Proposed Starting Date 05/01/2019 Special Instructions to Applicants Location of Vacancy Athens Area EEO Policy Statement
The University of Georgia is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, ethnicity, age, genetic information, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation or protected veteran status.Position Information Classification Title Business Operations Professional Pay Grade FLSA Exempt Job Family FTE 1.00 Minimum Qualifications
Requires at least a baccalaureate degree in the field. Please contact your Human Resources office for an evaluation of education/experience in lieu of the required minimum qualifications.Preferred Qualifications Position Summary
This new position will be responsible for business related project management and business analytics for the College of Agricultural & Environmental Sciences (CAES). It will collaborate regularly with the College’s leadership, the leadership of the College’s departments, units, and centers, the support personnel in those units, employees in the CAES Business Office, as well as employees in the University’s central units. The role will also serve as financial liaison to the UGA Foundation and provide foundation related financial support to the College.Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and/or Competencies Physical Demands
Light office workIs driving required to perform essential duties outlined in this position? (This does not include infrequent trips) The successful candidate would have to provide proof that s/he has a valid driver's license when offered employment. Does this position have financial responsibilities? Yes Does this position require a P-Card? No Is having a P-Card an essential function of this position? No Credit and P-Card policy
Be advised a credit check will be required for all positions with financial responsibilities. For additional information about the credit check criteria, visit the UGA Credit Background Check website.Duties/Responsibilities Duties/Responsibilities
Business Analytics Team Oversight:
- Serves as Team’s project request central point of control. Team provides data analysis to State, University, and College decision makers to support short term actions and long-range strategies. Its composition is an informal grouping of Ag Business Office employees and others who are skilled in data retrieval, compilation, analysis and problem solving.
- Develops and maintains data dashboards for budget execution, staffing, personnel breakdowns, and other related data.
Team Mission: To provide data to decision makers to support short term actions and long range strategy. Must be prepared to handle ad hoc projects, issues, problems and investigations and determine prioritization.
- Effectively considers appropriate inputs, data, information, trends, current issues, organizational or system anomalies, overall decision support from a strategic point of view. Requires clear understanding of data available, problem to be addressed, effective formatting to support management decisions.
- The Business Analytics Team will support:
i. Short range goals (updated regularly):
ii. College level budget execution charts.
iii. Research/Extension/Instruction level budget execution charts.
iv. College and department level staffing charts.
v. Personnel breakouts by rank, type, unit, location, contract, YOS, salary, position, etc.
Project Management and Leadership:
- Hires, supervises, trains, and provides performance management direction to Administrative Specialist (Office Manager), Accountant, and student workers.
- Provides strategic leadership and direction for bi-weekly staff operational meeting, prioritizes project and information requests, develops effective solutions for unique problems, and communicates accomplishments and resolutions to the College’s business leaders.
- Assists and coordinates business office employees in training departments/units/employees on processes, programs, and changes.
- Develops awareness of regular performance/knowledge gaps in CAES systems uses to proactively address and resolve.
- Collects and tracks P-Card data for the College, routes change request and Approver forms. Provides input and oversight regarding the necessity or reasons for department purchasing card requests.
- Bridges the gap between finance and HR at all levels through effective coordination of problem resolution and communication.
- Functions as Project Lead or assists as required by CAES Finance & Administration Directors
- Serves as backup for CAES Business Office Manager
UGA Foundation Financial Support for CAES:
- Provides financial oversight of foundation accounts for the College
- Maintains standing list of foundation accounts with no spending
- Contacts spending authorities for under-spent accounts
- Coordinates actions to consolidate accounts with expired purposes or infrequent spending
- Responds to Foundation and UGA Foundation requests for information
- Coordinates with Office of Development and Alumni Relations to develop new accounts and update existing accounts
- Serve as Business Office contact to help coordinate new professorship and endowment accounts and faculty appointments
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- Cover Letter