Interim Dean of Instruction
Description***Internal job announcement for current Butte College employees only***
Interim Dean of Instruction
Biology, Mathematics, MESA, Physical Sciences (Chemistry, Engineering, Geology, Physics, Physical Science), and AB 705
Full-time Exempt 40 hours per week; interim for 12 months (7/1/19 - 6/30/20)
MSC Range 26; $126,814.07 per year
Tentative interview date: May 8, 2019
Under the administrative direction of the Vice President of Instruction, administers and supervises their assigned educational programs of the District, ensuring compliance with established curricular and instructional objectives and policies. Assists with the selection, management and evaluation of academic and classified staff within the departments supervised, and performs related work as required. Representative Duties
The duties recorded below are representative of the duties of the class and are not intended to cover all the duties performed by incumbent(s) of any particular position. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the scope of work is similar, related or a logical assignment to this class. The essential duties of the class are indicated with an asterisk *.
- Provides leadership in the formulation, development and revision of curricular and instructional objectives within the departments supervised*
- Assists with the preparation of the master class schedule; updates College catalog content as appropriate; develops teaching schedules, loads and room schedules for day and evening classes and supervises the selection of appropriate texts and instructional materials*
- Ensures that all courses remain current in relation to the standards of industry, transfer institutions and State mandates*
- Assists in the recruitment, recommendation and evaluation of academic staff*
- Supervises and supports academic and classified staff. Supervisory duties include instructing, planning and assigning work, maintaining standards, coordinating activities, acting on employee problems, assisting with new employee selection, recommending employee discipline, transfers, promotions and discharge as appropriate. Reviews and evaluates the work of subordinates for effectiveness, accuracy and adherence to department policies; offers advice and assistance as needed*
- Works with departmental personnel to maintain and improve standards of instruction; assigns teaching and office hours of academic staff; makes faculty assignments; approves field trips and conference requests for instructors; works with chairs and coordinators in all schedule development; provides orientation of new academic staff to their duties and obligations, and performs other administrative duties as required*
- Prepares annual budget recommendations for the departments; prepares budget reports as required*
- Maintains an inventory of instructional equipment*
- Works cooperatively with other instructional administrators in using facilities and equipment; supervises the issuance of keys for facilities*
- Initiates and maintains positive relationships with other departments and members of the College community*
- Attends federal, state and regional meetings as appropriate*
- Serves on a variety of District committees as requested
- Performs related work as required
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Possession of a Master's Degree from a regionally accredited body; AND
- One year formal training, internship or leadership experience reasonably related to the administrator's administrative assignment.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATION AND OTHER REQUIREMENTS:
- Hold and maintain a valid driver's license throughout duration of employment with the District.
- Doctorate degree
- Knowledge of California community college system and the various initiatives that support it. (http://www.cccco.edu/).
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
May be acquired through education, training and/or experience.
Knowledge and ability to apply District policies, rules and procedures.
Knowledge of: laws, ordinances pertaining to the specific responsibilities of the position; supervisory and managerial concepts and principles; curricular and instructional program development theories and methods of implementation; equipment and instructional materials used in the areas assigned.
Ability to: ensure compliance with all laws, regulations and policies through effective supervision and management; motivate and provide leadership to a diverse group of professionals and staff; plan and coordinate the most effective use of faculty, staff, facilities and resources to achieve District-wide instructional goals; comprehend and stay current with the theories of and practices in vocational education instruction and programming; communicate professionally in confrontational situations; compose complex reports, analyzes and correspondence; prepare complex schedules; analyze administrative problems and prepare comprehensive, clear and concise reports and recommendations; make sound, educated decisions; work independently; establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with those contacted in the course of work; work with diverse populations; make required mathematical calculations accurately; make public presentations; maintain records accurately and with confidentiality as required; compile, organize and use various financial information necessary in the preparation and management of budgets.
WORK DIRECTION, LEAD AND SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITIES:
Provides direct supervision of academic, professional and classified staff; provides technical direction to faculty members as assigned.
Normal office environment.
All classifications of faculty, staff and administration at Butte College; administrative staff from other educational institutions; general public.
Normal office environment.
ALL APPLICANTS, MUST SUBMIT ALL REQUIRED DOCUMENTS WITH THE ONLINE APPLICATION IN ORDER TO MOVE FORWARD IN THE RECRUITMENT PROCESS.
All on-line attachment types require that you attach a document.
LETTER OF INTEREST:
Please attach a letter of interest that addresses the following:
- What has attracted you to this position? Please address working with STEM departments specifically.
- How would this position provide you with an opportunity to contribute to the District in a new way?
- What managerial and/or leadership skills would you bring to this position?
- What other related experience would you like to share?
RESUME OR VITA:
Please submit this as an attachment, not as a text resume within the application.