Executive Director of Undergraduate Admissions
Executive Director of Undergraduate Admissions
UNIVERSITY OF MIAMI
Coral Gables, Florida
The University of Miami’s story—past, present, and future—is a collective narrative told by the thousands of individuals who have developed the education, research, service, and spirit of community that are our hallmark. Our faculty, staff, students, alumni and supporters have played a pivotal role in the growth and prosperity of this city, this region, and beyond.
President Julio Frenk
University of Miami
The University of Miami, a top-tier private research university with approximately 10,000 undergraduate students and 6,000 graduate and professional students from around the world, is seeking a collaborative and data driven admissions professional with exceptional management skills and an acute understanding of systems and processes to serve as Executive Director of Undergraduate Admissions. This experienced professional will report to Assistant Vice President of Admissions and Marketing Nate Crozier within the enrollment division and is responsible for all undergraduate recruitment initiatives (freshman and transfer, domestic and international) while overseeing a holistic admissions process with over 38,000 applicants for a highly qualified, first-year class of approximately 2,200 and 500 transfer students.
The successful candidate for the position of Executive Director of Undergraduate Admissions will be responsible for the recruitment of undergraduate students while overseeing a holistic admissions process. This involves leading all undergraduate recruitment efforts (for domestic
and international students), including on and off campus programming. Additionally, this individual will bring a systems and analytics approach to recruitment and admissions; it is critical for the chosen candidate to recognize opportunities to create efficiencies using new processes and technologies. Finally, an important element to this position involves leading, managing, mentoring, and coaching the undergraduate admissions team with energy and compassion. The ideal candidate will have a defined leadership and management style that is authentic to who they are, and be able to articulate that philosophy to cohesively lead their team in a fast paced, ever advancing environment.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
The successful Executive Director of Undergraduate Admissions will:
- Strategize and prioritize recruitment events that highlight the University of Miami’s competitive advantages.
- Motivate, direct, and empower the undergraduate admissions team in the nuanced approaches to recruitment, providing a path for professional growth and development.
- Recognize and respect the talents and skills of a hard working and motivated team and provide clear expectations to a talented, bright, and energetic staff.
- Think operationally and strategically and utilize a holistic admissions process and rubric to productively and efficiently manage the high volume of applications.
- Possess an integrated approach to systems and analytical eye toward recruitment and admissions.
- Understand systems and technical solutions as well as use of data analytics to ensure the enrollment division uses technology to create efficiencies and improve enrollment efforts.
- Lead the development of reporting tools to assess application volume, campus visit productivity, and other metrics to monitor application and enrollment forecasting.
- Analyze undergraduate admissions data to ensure enrollment number, profile, and diversity initiatives are achieved.
- Know and adhere to NCAA Division I and Atlantic Coast Conference regulations as they pertain to athletic recruitment and eligibility.
- Collaborate closely with university leaders and other internal and external colleagues and stakeholders; serve on campus committees as related to undergraduate admissions.
- Attend undergraduate admissions, marketing and recruitment related conferences as necessary to develop professional skill sets and share that knowledge with staff.
- Continue to align the admissions office with industry best practices and influence policy in ways that are congruent with the university’s mission and ambitions.
- Appreciate the institutional commitment to diversity, inclusion and equity, and champion institutional and departmental efforts going forward.
Qualifications and Characteristics:
The successful candidate will have significant and progressive experience in higher education, with at least eight years of experience in undergraduate admissions preferred. A bachelor’s degree is required; an advanced degree is preferred.
In addition, the executive director should have the following skills and characteristics:
- Thorough mastery of a productive and efficient admissions operations process; exposure to high volume recruitment and admission offices is desired.
- Demonstrated quantitative, qualitative and analytical problem solving and decision making skills.
- Knowledge, understanding and technical savvy of student information systems.
- Excellent written, oral and interpersonal communication skills.
- Demonstrated time management and organizational skills.
- Ability to communicate with internal and external stakeholders at multiple levels regarding admission and operational processes.
- Understanding of and energized by a high volume and fast paced environment.
- Possession of the important attributes of transparency, malleability, flexibility, availability and responsiveness.
- A healthy sense of competition.
- Demonstrated ability to juggle multiple priorities and multitask.
- Ability to see the big picture but also pay attention to detail.
- Deep commitment to diversity in all forms.
The University of Miami is a vibrant and diverse research university located near one of the most global cities in the United States. Founded in 1925 by a group of Miami, Florida citizens who believed that an institution of higher learning was necessary for the development of their young and growing community, the University has matured into a major research university and academic health system. Located within one of the most dynamic and multicultural cities in the world, the University is a distinctive community with a variety of races, ethnicities, customs, genders, and faiths. Its geographic location uniquely positions the University of Miami to be both local and global in outlook and outreach.The stunning campus lined with palm trees and well-maintained buildings offers students a comfortable and intimate campus setting with exceptional, cutting edge academic and cultural opportunities. A top national and
internationally renowned institution, the University comprises 11 schools and colleges serving undergraduate and graduate students in more than 180 majors and programs. To read more about the University and the inspiring momentum including President’s Frenk’s Hemispheric Initiatives, visit https://welcome.miami.edu/. For information about Coral Gables and the Miami region, visit http://www.coralgables.com/ and http://www.miamiandbeaches.com/.
Napier Executive Search is assisting the University of Miami with its search for an Executive Director of Undergraduate Admissions. All inquiries, nominations and conversations about this opportunity are welcome and will remain confidential. For more information, please contact Mary Napier ([email protected]) or Laura Robinson ([email protected]). If you wish to apply, please send a resume, cover letter and contact information for three professional references to [email protected] Resumes will be reviewed until the position is filled; priority consideration will be given to resumes received before May 10, 2019.
References will not be contacted without permission. Anticipated start date is Summer 2019.
The University of Miami values diversity and is committed to equal opportunity for all persons regardless of age, color, disability, ethnicity, marital status, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, veteran status or any other status protected by law.