ORTHODONTICS CLINIC & CUSTOMER ENGAGEMENT MANAGER
Posting DetailsPosting Details Reference Number 51-31282 Posted Job Title ORTHODONTICS CLINIC & CUSTOMER ENGAGEMENT MANAGER School Name School of Dental Medicine Org Orthodontics Posted to the Web 03/21/2019 Posted Job/Salary Grade 027 Employment Type Exempt Hours N/A Position Type Full Time Position Schedule 8-5 Months 12 Position Length Ongoing Position End Date University Overview
The University of Pennsylvania, the largest private employer in Philadelphia, is a world-renowned leader in education, research, and innovation. This historic, Ivy League school consistently ranks among the top 10 universities in the annual U.S. News & World Report survey. Penn has 12 highly-regarded schools that provide opportunities for undergraduate, graduate and continuing education, all influenced by Penn’s distinctive interdisciplinary approach to scholarship and learning.
Penn offers a unique working environment within the city of Philadelphia. The University is situated on a beautiful urban campus, with easy access to a range of educational, cultural, and recreational activities. With its historical significance and landmarks, lively cultural offerings, and wide variety of atmospheres, Philadelphia is the perfect place to call home for work and play.
The University offers a competitive benefits package that includes excellent healthcare and tuition benefits for employees and their families, generous retirement benefits, a wide variety of professional development opportunities, supportive work and family benefits, a wealth of health and wellness programs and resources, and much more.School/Center Overview
Established in 1878, Penn Dental Medicine is among the oldest university-affiliated dental schools in the nation. Penn Dental Medicine (PDM) is on a mission to provide the highest quality clinical and research environment for students while shaping the future of care. Join Penn Dental Medicine to live that mission every day by supporting the research and clinical needs of our patients, students, faculty, staff, and community. With PDM, not only can you maximize your career potential at an Ivy League Institution, but you can make a real difference in the lives of our patients and students. http://www.dental.upenn.edu/Duties
Lead Orthodontics Department in a collaborative service-oriented environment in partnership with Clinic Directors, Department Chair, and diverse Penn Dental Medicine stakeholders. Manage clinic efficiency, productivity and customer satisfaction/engagement with a key focus on effective chair side assistance, oversight of positive patient experiences and efficient revenue cycle/reimbursement execution. Model effective conflict resolution strategies, service-oriented behaviors, collaborative process improvement execution with various departments and timely quality assurance for our patients, residents, students, faculty and staff communities. As a key leader in the Orthodontics Department, demonstrate expert proficiency with project management, continuous training, oversight of clinic staff performance
Overall job duties include management of clinic staff-hiring, orienting, assigning and reviewing employee work, coaching, acting on leave requests and timesheets, conducting performance evaluations, and disciplinary processes.
Develops, in conjunction with the Department Chair and Clinical Directors, the annual operating plan for the practice in accordance with financial guidelines to ensure the alignment of the practice with Penn Dental Medicine’s strategic objectives. Monitors and improves financial performance of clinic including production, staff productivity, other controllable expenses and accounts receivables. Provides leadership to inspire and coach employees on accomplishing strategic and operational goals and related tasks. This includes leadership related to recruiting, selecting, training and motivating employees, as well as managing employee performance, executing strategic operations plans and developing and administrating operational budgets. Regularly reviews, interprets and uses financial data including income statements and balance sheets to identify plan shortfalls and opportunities and focuses resources and efforts to these items to ensure plan achievement. Understands the importance of customer service and sets an example of exemplary customer service. Continuously builds customer understanding by monitoring patient satisfaction performance and customer feedback.
Lead the overall operational management of the clinic including but not limited to registration/scheduling, insurance approval, billing, supplies, assisting & laboratory staff. Hires, trains, supervises, evaluates, counsels & performance manages staff. Ensures the orientation of staff to role functions, policies, & procedures. Coordinate effective & efficient Orthodontic resident & student schedules in partnership with clinical faculty. Consistently model customer service & service behaviors.
Develops, implements, maintains & monitors departmental policies & procedures to reduce rework, improve quality and process consistency. Oversees coding & billing, ensuring that documentation is complete. Assists in follow up appeals on claims and monitors work queues, coding edits, bundling issues & follow up/appeal of procedures. Resolve billing related questions on medical & dental Orthodontic accounts & completes payment contracts. Follows up on the timeliness of insurance payments.
Establishes, analyzes, monitors & responds to reports related to productivity & quality standards of work. Resolve clinic & equipment issues for Orthodontist, staff & residents, oversee & coordinate clinic assignments, case completion & patient outcomes; Supervise & assist in ensuring a safe environment for patients & staff & ensure maintenance of maximum aseptic techniques throughout clinic. Collaborates with IT to implement, maintain, & troubleshoot orthodontic equipment & software.
Contracts with & maintains relationships with vendors & supplies of services. Establishes & maintains a feedback mechanism to ensure residents, faculty, patients & staff needs are met. Participate/lead quality improvement & operational improvement initiatives. Represent department on task forces, committees & advisory groups. Monitors, evaluates & justifies monthly budget expenditures & revenue. Participates in identification, submission and implementation of annual capital requests/projects.
Prepare clinic flow statistics, identify opportunities for increasing clinic census, proposes, & designs new policies/procedures; Ensures that policies & procedures are updated & followed with Clinic Directors. Ensures that patient & employee incident policies are followed. Ensures that health & safety training is provided to all staff. Prepares agenda for monthly clinic meetings. Responds & resolves patient complaints jointly with Clinic Directors.
Audit & report on all service lines to Department Chair & Clinic Directors. Monitors monthly review of patient financial records to minimize accounts in arrears. Assists with the annual budget preparation; executes and reviews monthly AxiUm financial reports. Provides billing information for inquiries from patients & third-party payers. Ensures that patient charges & credits are processed timely. Ensures handling processes are followed & transactions reconciled.
Regularly reviews, interprets & uses financial data including income statements & balance sheets to identify plan shortfalls & opportunities & focuses resources & efforts to these items to ensure plan achievement. Understands the importance of customer service & sets an example of exemplary customer service. Continuously builds customer understanding by monitoring patient satisfaction performance & customer feedback.
Fosters strong relationships to ensure a commitment to productivity objectives, revisiting monthly forecasts & measures actual productivity against plan. Develops, schedules & maintains operational calendar to foster alignment on key operating plan & practice management objectives. Demonstrates a commitment to PDM’s core values. Ensures that the practice policies, procedures & processes are in compliance with PDM protocols, state & federal law, regulations & accreditation guidelines.
Other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
Affirmative Action Statement
* Bachelor’s degree (business, social work, psychology, counseling) or a related field or least 5 years of management-level experience in an Orthodontic health care setting or equivalent, including supervision of employees, office management, and policy/procedure development.
* Intermediate to advanced computer skills with Microsoft Office suite (including Excel) and axiUm.
* Excellent interpersonal oral, written and electronic communication skills.
* Excellent customer service experience, modeling advocacy and service-minded behaviors as a leader
* Proven ability to take direction, meet expectations, and work cohesively as a member of a team
* Strong personal integrity, trustworthiness, and professional work ethic
* Excellent problem-solving skills
* Demonstrated positive, optimistic, success-oriented attitude and ability to positively support the organization, applicable policies, and management decisions
* Able to proactively anticipate and recognize problems, and develop and implement creative, cost-effective solutions with tact combined with social and emotional intelligence.
* Able to function within a complex University and clinic environment
* Demonstrated ability to effectively interpret and apply standards, regulations, policies, and procedures
* Proficiency with infection control procedures and standards
* Be an effective team leader
* Demonstrate personal integrity and trustworthiness
* Manage stressful situations and changing priorities effectively
* Anticipate, recognize, and resolve problems
* Be responsible and accountable
* Use organizational skills and provide attention to details
* Maintain a positive, optimistic, and success-oriented attitude
* Exercise professional demeanor, which includes being tactful and courteous
* Exhibit a professional work ethic
* Continuously promote a safe work environment
* Exhibits a comprehensive understanding of driving revenue within the practice, operational processes, analysis of data, and the ability to analyze expense controls.
* Advanced business knowledge of strategies and tactics that affect our marketplace.
Penn adheres to a policy that prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, creed, national or ethnic origin, citizenship status, age, disability, veteran status, or any other legally protected class.Special Requirements Background check required after a conditional job offer is made. Consideration of the background check will be tailored to the requirements of the job. Quick Link http://jobs.hr.upenn.edu/postings/44526 Posting Supplemental Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * How did you hear about this employment opportunity?
- [email protected]
- Contacted by a Penn Recruiter
- Referred by a Penn Employee
- Referred by a friend or family member
- Higher Education Recruitment Consortium (HERC)
- Inside Higher Ed
- Other Internet Advertisement
- Other Social Media Site
- Professional Affiliation/Trade Website
- Diversity Association/Publication Website
- Heard about it at a conference or career fair
- Apple One
- Recruitment and/or staffing agency
- * What is your highest level of education completed?
- Less than high school education
- High School Diploma or GED
- Vocational or Technical School
- Associate's Degree or Two Year College
- Bachelor's Degree
- Master's Degree
- PHD/MD/JD or equivalent doctoral degree
- * How many years of experience do you have related to this position?
- 0 to 1 Year
- 1 to 2 Years
- 2 to 3 Years
- 3 to 5 Years
- 5 to 7 Years
- 7 to 10 Years
- Over 10 Years
- Cover Letter