Apr 19, 2019
Under the general supervision of the Custodian Foreman and/or Manager of Custodial Services. The Custodian is responsible for the overall cleanliness, sanitation, appearance and safety of their assigned area within the Hamilton College facilities. The custodian may also be required to assist with additional projects or maintenance of additional areas on campus as needed.
All employees are expected to act in a professional manner and to share the common values of respect and decency toward one another.
- Maintaining the cleanliness and safety of assigned area(s) by performing duties which include but are not limited to, dusting, sweeping, waxing, vacuuming, polishing, washing windows, washing walls and wood work with a variety of finishes, washing furniture, bathrooms, shampooing carpets.
- Gathering and proper removal of trash, debris and recyclables. Emptying and cleaning refuse containers.
- Responsible for the maintenance, safe storage and tracking of inventory cleaning supplies. Requests inventory when needed.
- Operates machinery necessary in a safe and efficient manner including, but not limited to, vacuum cleaners, buffing machines, scrubbers, water pick-ups, upholstery cleaners, carpet shampooers, extractors, tenant floor machine.
- Performs additional functions such as keeping building entrances and walkways free of ice, snow and other debris, changing light bulbs, moving and set up of furniture, reporting building damage, malfunctions and hazardous conditions to the Work Control Secretary, etc.
- Performs housekeeping duties for guest rooms at the Bristol Campus Center and Roger's Estate. Supports Summer Programs with similar housekeeping services, as directed.
- Performs sets-up and breaks down of campus catered functions and special events including but not limited to, in-house stage flats, podiums, tables, chairs, partitions, coat racks.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
High School diploma or equivalent required. 1 year cleaning/custodial experience preferred. Equivalent combination of education and experience in a similar field will be considered.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Knowledge of standard custodial methods which include maintaining, cleaning, and preserving a wide variety of surfaces, or the ability to learn procedures and effectively demonstrate these methods no later than the end of the introductory period.
- Knowledge of the proper use of a wide range of chemicals and personal protective equipment (PPE) according to state and federal regulations or the ability to effectively demonstrate proper use of chemicals and PPE no later than the end of the introductory period.
- Ability to handle and properly dispose of hazardous materials and waste.
- Ability to adapt to changing work priorities, work independently or in a diverse team oriented environment.
- Ability to learn and upgrade job skills as needed to meet changing job conditions and demands.
- Problem solving and time management skills.
- Ability to work overtime, as required.
Please submit cover letter, resume and contact information for three professional references. Consideration of candidates will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.