Global Health Human Factors Fellow
Posting DetailsPosition Information Job Title Global Health Human Factors Fellow Department Rice 360: Institute for Global Health Full Time/Part Time Full-Time Requisition Number S19559 Open Date 04/18/2019 Close Date Salary Information
Salary Commensurate with Experience and QualificationsWork Schedule
Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., with occasional evenings and weekends.Benefits Eligible Yes Eligible for Overtime No Position Summary
The Global Health Human Factors (HF) Fellow will research and help to develop low-cost healthcare technologies and is primarily responsible for supporting research by conducting basic research, collecting data, performing basic statistical analysis, proofreads and edits published written work, drafts articles, reports, and other publications. In addition, they assist in minor administrative functions.
Together with the Director of Human Factors, the Global Health HF Fellow will assist in developing and implementing technologies, the training programs for the devices created, and will interact extensively with clinicians for the implementation and improvement of their designs.Education Required Bachelor's Degree Major/Discipline
Psychology, cognitive sciences, or engineering or other related fields with a focus on human factors, human-computer interaction, system usability and/or medical human factors.Substitution for Education Requirement
Experience may not be substituted for the education requirement.Education Preferred
Bachelor’s degree in psychology, cognitive sciences, or engineering.Experience Required 1 year Type of Experience
Related research experience and/or coursework in human factors/human-computer interaction/usability. Internships, research projects, lab experience, coursework (three credits = six months of experience), and industry jobs all count towards the experience requirement.Substitution for Experience Requirement
May substitute additional related education, above and beyond what is required, on an equivalent year for year basis in lieu of the experience requirement.Experience Preferred
- System design and development using human factors/human-computer Interaction methods.
- System usability evaluations (experience gained during education or internship is acceptable).
- Knowledge of software statistical packages such as Stata, SAS, R, or HLM.
- Good analytical and research skills.
- Ability to build reports.
- Good verbal and written communications skills including proofreading.
- Good presentation skills.
Internal interaction with Rice students, staff, faculty, Director of Human Factors and interns.
External contacts may include clinicians, researchers/educators in the US and the developing world, non-Rice students and interns.Physical Demands
Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., with occasional evenings, weekends, and travel to Malawi.Security Sensitive Yes Special Instructions to Applicants Quick Link for Posting http://jobs.rice.edu/postings/19276 Job Duties Job Duty Name Essential Functions Description of Job Duty
- Participates in the design, planning and implementing of research projects and data analysis.
- Identifies, locates and obtains data/information.
- Utilizes statistical software to quantifies data.
- Builds automated reporting solutions.
- Manipulates and cleans up data.
- Completes data entry and analysis.
- Reports research findings.
- Ensures information presented is valid and accurate.
- Develops presentations and reports.
- Designs and develops affordable, high performance clinical technologies for sustainable use in low- resource settings using integrated human factors/human-computer interaction methods for design.
- Engages in all aspects of system usability research/evaluations using a variety of methods.
- Works with external partners to advance technologies towards commercialization.
- Cover Letter
- Curriculum Vitae
- Publications List
- Research Papers
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Do you have a bachelor's degree or higher in psychology, cognitive sciences, or engineering or other related fields with a focus on human factors, human-computer interaction, system usability and/or medical human factor?
- * Do you have a year or more of related research experience and/or coursework in human factors/human-computer interaction/usability, or additional related education, above and beyond what is required, on an equivalent year for year basis in lieu of the experience requirement? PLEASE NOTE: internships, research projects, lab experience, coursework (3 credits = 6 months of experience), and industry jobs all count towards the experience requirement.
- * What is your minimum salary requirement? (please specify actual dollar amount)
(Open Ended Question)