Chief of Police
Posting InformationPosition Information Position Type Permanent Staff (EHRA NF) Department UPD Police-234401 Working Title Chief of Police Appointment Type EHRA Non-Faculty Position Posting Category Police/Security Salary Range Full Time/Part Time? Full-Time Permanent Hours per Week 40 Vacancy ID NF0003705 Position ID 01000697 Posting Open Date 04/18/2019 Application Deadline 05/01/2019 Open Until Filled No Proposed Start Date 07/01/2019 Position Summary
The primary purpose of the UNC Police Department (UPD) is to provide comprehensive and professional public safety services for the University, as well as secure and convenient access to the University and UNC Hospitals, a community of approximately 50,000 faculty, staff, and students. Public Safety’s law enforcement responsibilities are established, legally organized, and authorized by N.C. General Statute 116-40.5. The Director and Chief of Police is the administrative head of the agency department as authorized by this statute, and reports to the Associate Vice Chancellor of Campus Safety and Risk Management. The Chief and each sworn officer have the powers and authorities vested in Peace Officers as authorized by GS 116, and their jurisdiction extends to all property owned or leased by the University and that portion of any public road or highway passing through or immediately adjoining such property, wherever located. This position has critical enterprise-wide security and compliance responsibilities. UNC PD has annual operating expenditures of about $10 million, with about 60 sworn officers, 20 sworn reserve officers, 35 non-sworn permanent staff, and 50 temporary employees.Educational Requirements
A master’s degree in criminal justice, police science, public administration, behavioral science, or a related field is required.
Ten years of progressively responsible experience, including command level management experience, in a police agency providing a full range of law enforcement services to the community is also required.
Mandatory Certification Requirements:
1. Must meet physical and psychological requirements of the N.C. Criminal Justice Education and Training standards Commission, including satisfactory physical examination, psychological examination, and drug test.
2. Must pass sworn law enforcement officer background investigation, including but not limited to driving record and criminal history.Qualifications and Experience
- Advanced Law Enforcement Certification in North Carolina.
- Graduation from a nationally recognized advanced law enforcement management program such as the FBI National Academy, the Southern Police Institute, or the Senior Management Institute for Police.
- Experience in a university public safety department, preferably at a Carnegie Research I university with significant biomedical research and nationally prominent athletic teams.
- Experience in management of an emergency communications center.
- Experience in management of large events involving significant numbers of attendees
- Experience in management of large-scale emergency response.
The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, color, disability, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, or status as a protected veteran.Special Instructions Quick Link http://unc.peopleadmin.com/postings/160269 Department Contact Information Department Contact Name and Title Department Contact Telephone or Email Office of Human Resources Contact Information
If you experience any problems accessing the system or have questions about the application process, please contact the Office of Human Resources at (919) 843-2300 or send an email to [email protected]
Please note: The Office of Human Resources will not be able to provide specific updates regarding position or application status.
- Curriculum Vitae / Resume
- Cover Letter
- List of References
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Please select the response below that describes your level of education that best or mostly closely satisfies the education requirements for this position.
- Bachelor’s degree in required discipline(s) listed or related field
- Bachelor's degree in any field/discipline
- Master's degree or Doctorate degree in required discipline(s) listed or related field
- Master's degree or Doctorate degree in any field/discipline
- None of the above