Medical Office Specialist
Request/Posting Number 0711920
Classification Title Medical Office Specialist
Working Title Full time position, subject to academic break layoff
Job Class # 004962
Type of Position Civil Service
Percent Appointment: 1-100 (For Student Employment and Graduate Assistant Only; state hours per week) 100
Representation: AFSCME Local 3236
Department Health Services - 02540000
Job Category Staff
General Summary Under general supervision, performs complex and specialized clerical work assignments for the preparation and maintenance of medical records in the Health Information Management (HIM) department at Student Health Services. In addition, performs duties related to Immunization Compliance and customer reception. This position will adhere to "Roles of Student Health Services Staff" policy and support the Student Health Services mission.
Required Qualifications 1. High school diploma or equivalent/GED
2. Any one or any combination of the following, totaling two (2) years (24 months), from the categories below:
a) work experience comparable to that performed at the Medical Office Associate level or in other positions of comparable responsibility
(b) college education with coursework in a medical or para-medical field (such as nursing assistant, medical assistant or medical secretary) and/or business field (such as business, finance, computer science, public administration, or social science)
-30 semester hours equals 6 months
-60 semester hours equals 1 year (12 months)
-90 semester hours equals 2 years (24 months)
Work experience in a medical or para-medical fields (such as nursing assistant, medical assistant or medical secretary)
3. If this position is Security Sensitive or if you are subject to a criminal background investigation based on University policy, employment is contingent upon you passing a satisfactory criminal background investigation. You may not begin work until the criminal background investigation results have been received and cleared by Human Resources.
Desired Qualifications: 1. Familiarity with Health Services Policies and Procedures and clinic capabilities.
2. Ability to use a computer terminal with mouse; demonstrate typing skill and knowledge of word processing software such as Microsoft Word, Outlook E-Mail; label recovery, printer assignment, SHS home page (i.e., SharePoint, SHS fiscal year calendar and other SHS-related items) and mainframe reference transactions.
3. Versed in medical terminology, anatomy, and other medical jargon.
4. Excellent telephone communication and public relation skills and ability to deal with difficult or irate customers under stressful conditions.
5. High level of accuracy and attention to detail required.
6. Must be sensitive to multicultural issues and support the creation of a diverse environment. Practice the appreciation of cultural differences and facilitate the appreciation of differences for others.
Hiring Rate/Range $15.64-$16.42 per hour
Work Hours Monday-Friday 8:00 am-4:30 pm
Proposed Starting Date: May 2019
Posting date 04-18-2019
Closing date 04-30-2019
Special Instructions to Applicants For full consideration, the application and all supplemental information must be submitted on-line. Applications submitted via fax, e-mail or mail will not be accepted. Please complete the entire employment application including the education and work history background. Please do not put "see resume" in the duties and responsibilities section of the work history. This will be considered an incomplete application and incomplete applications will not be considered. The employment application (not resume/cover letter) will be reviewed to determine if applicant meets minimum qualifications. Please be complete in the duties and responsibilities section for each position listed.
Required documents include a cover letter, resume and a reference list of at least three professional references including name/title/contact information (phone number and email). You must attach the required documents at the time of application.
The Civil Service examination for this classification is based on your application materials. No participation other than submission of applicant materials is required from applicants that qualify to take the exam. If you meet the minimum required qualifications for this position, you will receive a score calculated based on your education and experience, and your name will be placed on the active employment register by exam score. After the application deadline, the names within the top three scores will be referred to the department for interview.
Copies of transcripts (may be unofficial) must be submitted by deadline date in order to receive full consideration for this position. Transcripts may be submitted on-line or to the address/fax listed below.
Other documentation such as DD214 paperwork must be faxed, mailed, or delivered to Human Resources prior to the closing of the posting in order to receive the maximum eligible points:
Fax: 309.438.7421, Attn: Brandy O'Grady
Address: Illinois State University
Campus Box 1300
Normal, IL 61790-1300
This position is represented by AFSCME Local 3236 - Clericals.
This is a full-time 12 month position on an academic calendar. It will be subject to academic break lay-off (such as spring break, summer break).
Illinois State University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer.
If you are an individual with a disability and need a reasonable accommodation under the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) or other state or federal law you may request an accommodation by contacting the Office of Equal Opportunity and Access at 309-438-3383.
If you are having difficulty accessing the system, please call Human Resources at (309) 438-8311.
Contact Information Brandy O'Grady
Required Applicant Documents PLEASE NOTE: These documents are required to be submitted online in order to complete the application process. Please have these documents ready prior to clicking on "Apply For This Posting". Resume/C.V.
Optional Applicant Documents Certification of Retirement Annuity (required for SURS annuitants only)
Civil Service Test 4962 Medical Office Specialist
Physical Requirements: Must be able to complete the following with or without a reasonable accommodation:
1. Ability to lift and transport 30-pound boxes of office supplies a distance of 5-130 feet occasionally.
2. Ability to stand for long periods of time.
3. Ability to stoop, bend and reach when filing.
4. Ability to walk rapidly for long distances throughout the clinic.
5. Ability to speak, hear and see.
6. Ability to effectively communicate on a daily basis.
7. Ability to maintain a high level of concentration.
8. Ability to use a computer in day-to-day work (i.e. type on a keyboard and use a mouse).