Vice Chancellor for Student Affairs
Posting DetailsPosting Summary Logo Posting Number STA00106PO19 Classification Title Vice Chancellor Internal Title Vice Chancellor for Student Affairs Campus Upstate Work County Spartanburg College/Division USC Upstate College/Division Level Department UPS Student Affairs Admin Band Unclassified Advertised Minimum Salary Salary commensurate with qualifications. Advertised Salary Range Salary commensurate with qualifications. Location of Vacancy Spartanburg, SC Part/Full Time Full Time Hours per Week Work Schedule
Monday – Friday, 8:30 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
Must be willing to work a flexible schedule to meet the needs of the department.Type of Staff Position Full-time Equivalent (FTE) Basis 12 months Job Search Category Student Services About UofSC
The University of South Carolina System is comprised of the state's flagship university in Columbia (founded in 1801 and currently one of the top 50 "Best Colleges" according to U.S. News and World Report), three regional comprehensive universities (USC Aiken, USC Beaufort and USC Upstate), and Palmetto College consisting of four two-year campuses (USC Lancaster, USC Salkehatchie, USC Sumter, USC Union and Fort Jackson/Extended University). Together, the USC System institutions offer more than 450 degree programs on campus and online and are uniquely positioned to meet the state's educational, cultural, health and research needs. The System employs nearly 14,000 people who work daily to improve the lives of students, fellow South Carolinians and the world. Our diverse engaged faculty and staff enjoy a dynamic and intellectually stimulating work environment.Benefits for FTE, Research Grant or Time-Limited Positions Are Indicated Below
The University of South Carolina (UofSC), through the State of SC and Public Employee Benefit Authority (PEBA), offers employees a valuable benefits package, including health and life insurance, generous paid leave and retirement programs. To learn more about UofSC benefits, access the About Benefits section on the Applicant Portal at uscjobs.sc.edu.Research Grant or Time-limited positions may be eligible for all, some, or no benefits, based on the grant or project funding.Benefit Eligibility Type Full-Time Equivalent (FTE) South Carolina Retirement Yes State Insurance Programs Yes Annual Leave Yes Sick Leave Yes Position Description Advertised Job Summary
The Vice Chancellor for Student Affairs is the chief student services oﬃcer for the University. The responsibilities include visionary leadership and management of units in the Division of Student Affairs: Dean of Students Office (Student Conduct and coordination of the Campus Assessment, Referral, & Evaluation Team); Disability Services; Residential Life; Student Life (Campus Programs, Fraternity/Sorority Life, Leadership Programs, Multicultural Programs, Non-Traditional Student Services, and Volunteer Services); Student Counseling Services; Student Health Center and Spartan Recreation Center (including intramural sports programs).
- Promote a fully-integrated student experience as outlined by the holistic education initiatives contained in the current University Strategic Plan and University Scorecard. Advance and enhance a robust student life experience with programs, services, activities, and facilities to maximize student engagement, participation, community development, and leadership opportunities.
- Strategically review the current organizational structure, staff functions, and staffing levels for efficiency and effectiveness. Recruit, hire, educate, and inspire top talent to create an engaged and healthy living/learning environment. Responsible for a University budget exceeding $2,000,000.
- Serves as an active and valued member of the University’s leadership team, with an appointment on Chancellor’s Cabinet. As a senior leader will also contribute to sustaining successful university recruitment, orientation, retention and graduation rates through use of data, research, programs, and special interventions.
- Teach, as needed.
- Provide responsive assistance to students and the university in crisis situations and a proven ability to create and maintain a culture responsive to student concerns.
- Promote, support, and strengthen the University’s diversity and inclusion efforts.Minimum Qualifications (Classified and Unclassified positions)
Candidates must possess an earned doctorate with substantive, progressively responsible leadership experience in student affairs. A successful background check is required.Preferred Qualifications
The Vice Chancellor should demonstrate proven effectiveness at a Dean or Assistant/Associate Vice President level in student affairs or student success areas.Knowledge/Skills/Abilities
Possess deep experience and knowledge of current trends in student affairs management and implementation of best practices. A successful history of supervising and mentoring staff, enhancing student life on a residential campus, and working effectively across the campus community.
Strong organizational presentation and interpersonal skills, and must demonstrate effective leadership,strategic planning, writing, and intercultural skills.Position Attributes Hazardous weather category Non-Essential Safety Sensitive or Security Sensitive No Posting Detail Information Number of Vacancies 1 Desired Start Date 07/01/2019 If Research Grant/Time Limited, give end date Job Open Date 03/07/2019 Job Close Date Open Until Filled Yes Special Instructions to Applicant
Positions are advertised for a minimum of five (5) business days on our job website. After five (5) business days, positions can be closed at the discretion of the department at any time. This position is open until filled. This employment site is updated on a regular basis. The length of the recruitment and screening process may vary from position to position, depending upon a variety of factors. Should review of your qualifications result in a decision to pursue your candidacy, you will be contacted by phone or email.Quicklink for Posting http://uscjobs.sc.edu/postings/53777 EEO Statement
The University of South Carolina does not discriminate in educational or employment opportunities on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender, age, disability, protected veteran status or genetics.Supplemental Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Are you willing and able to submit to a pre-employment background check that may include, but it is not limited to, criminal history, national sex offender search and motor vehicle history as a condition of hire?
- * Do you possess an earned doctorate with substantive, progressively responsible leadership experience in student affairs?
- Cover Letter
- Curriculum Vitae
- Letter of Recommendation 1
- Letter of Recommendation 2
- Letter of Recommendation 3