#99102 Health System Patient Line Cook
This is a UC San Diego Internal Recruitment open to UCSD and UCSD Health System Staff Only
UCSD Layoff from Career Appointment: Apply by 04/19/2019 for consideration with preference for rehire. All layoff applicants should contact their Employment Advisor.
Special Selection Applicants: Apply by 04/24/2019. Eligible Special Selection clients should contact their Disability Counselor for assistance.DESCRIPTION
Under supervision, perform a variety of duties related to hot and cold production and service to customers, according to established procedures and quality standards. Prepare menu items in advance of serving and to order for cafeteria, tray-line and special functions, according to department standardized recipes. Prepare food items to the highest standards with respect to appearance, taste, temperature, and portion control.
The Line Cook will also perform meat fabrication, fish cutting, sauce making. Assumes 100% responsibility for quality of products served. Knows and complies consistently with our standard portion sizes, cooking methods, quality standards and kitchen rules, policies and procedures. Maintains a clean and sanitary work station area including tables, shelves, grills, broilers, fryers, pasta cookers, sauté burners, convection oven, flat top range and refrigeration equipment.
Prepares item for grilling, sautéing or other cooking methods. Follows proper plate presentation and garnish set up for all dishes. Closes the kitchen properly and follows the closing checklist for kitchen stations. Assists others in closing the kitchen. Attends all scheduled employee meetings and brings suggestions for improvement. Performs other related duties as assigned by the Executive Chef, Sous Chef or manager-on-duty.MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
One year experience as a cook in a large restaurant, hotel, or complex healthcare facility.
Ability to prepare and coordinate food orders to support timely and efficient delivery to patients and special functions, according to department standardized recipes.
Demonstrated knowledge of food and food products.
Demonstrated skill in all areas of quality food production to include tray-line, cafeteria, grill and/or catering.
Ability to maintain kitchen area in a clean and organized fashion at all times, with floor dry and equipment property cleaned and sanitized.
Knowledge of health department codes and ability to adhere to policies regarding sanitation at all times.
Possess superb customer service skills.
- Food Handler’s Card/Certification.
- Ability to efficiently scratch cook with meats, fish, vegetables, soups and sauces.
- Ability to perform other duties in the areas of food and final plate preparation including plating and garnishing of cooked items and preparing appropriate garnishes for all hot menu item plates.
- Demonstrated experience in all stations, proficient knife skills, ability to take directions and work as part of a team.
- Must be able to work various hours and locations based on business needs.
- Must be able to bend, squat, stand, and walk for long periods of time.
- Employment is subject to a criminal background check and pre-employment physical.