PAYROLL TECHNICIAN II
PAYROLL TECHNICIAN II
Posting Number: SRGV3873
Number of Vacancies: 1
Location: Edinburg, Texas
Department: Financial Services-Comptroller
Scope of Job:
To provide the accounting and advanced technical skills necessary to the function of a payroll department. Responsible for maintaining accurate employee records and the preparation of reports affecting transfers of retirement and other taxing authority funds.
Description of Duties:
• Provides customer assistance in regard to payroll-related inquiries as posed from various sources, including personal, telephone, or e-mail. Helps direct customers to appropriate area when not payroll-related.
• Audits and reviews electronic time record activity for hourly employees. Responsibility includes posting Web Time Entry hours for payroll processing. Works with various departments/employees to resolve any inconsistencies/corrective action.
• Audits and reviews electronic time record activity for salaried employees other than faculty. Responsibility includes posting leave absences to update employee leave balances. Works with Academic Affairs to resolve any inconsistencies/corrective action.
• Audits/reviews electronic faculty absence reporting via APEX system. Responsibility includes posting leave reporting to Payroll system to update faculty leave balances.
• Processes, reviews, reconciles, prepares various payroll related disbursements such as retirement funds, employment tax funds, insurance funds, etc.
• Posts journal entries to record disbursement activity.
• Submits routine payroll job to process monthly employee vacation and sick leave accruals and validates results.
• Submits routine payroll jobs and reports to support payroll-related activities.
• Assists in auditing holiday, vacation, and sick leave taken and related accrued leave balances.
• Performs the payroll exit process regarding employees who are terminating employment with UTRGV.
• Analyzes employee data and initiates vacation settlement processing.
• Audits/validates overtime reporting for payroll processing. Communicates with various personnel to resolve inconsistencies.
• Provides specific assistance to Payroll staff, collecting data necessary for research, follow-up action, and communicating with applicable party(ies).
• Evaluates payroll adjustments in pay or accrued leave and presents findings to Supervisor.
• May assist in payroll related reconciliations
• May assist in state related reporting activities
• May assist in tax withholding reviews
• May provide support to Tax Compliance Office staff
• May be tasked with special projects and performs other duties as assigned.
• Meets daily, weekly, monthly, and quarterly deadlines.
• Performs other duties as assigned.
Specific supervision from assigned supervisor.
May supervise assigned staff.
High school diploma or equivalent.
Business/vocational school training or college course work in accounting or business.
Two (2) years of payroll experience and/or three (3) years accounting/bookkeeping experience.
Use of standard office equipment. Typing/data entry skills and ten key calculator by touch.
Needs to be able to successfully perform all required duties. Office Environment; some travel and weekend work may be required.
Must have excellent interpersonal, analytical, and organizational skills. Must be able to exercise patience and tact in dealing with irate/upset employees. Must be able to stoop and reach to retrieve and replace files and documents. May be able to lift and carry up to 20 pounds unaided. Must have ability to move between offices and buildings.
Physical Capabilities: N/A
Employment Category: Full-Time
Minimum Salary: Commensurate with Experience
Posted Salary: Commensurate with Experience
Position Available Date: 04/18/2019
Grant Funded Position: No
If Yes, Provide Grant Expiration Date:
UTRGV is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer that strives to hire without regard to race, color, national origin, sex, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetic information or veteran status. UTRGV takes affirmative action to hire and advance women, minorities, protected veterans and individuals with disabilities.
Special Instructions to Applicants:
Human Resources will not be held responsible for redacting any confidential information from the documents you attach with your application. The confidential information includes the following:
*Date of Birth
Please make sure that you omit this information prior to submission. We are advising that Human Resources will be forwarding your application to the department as per your submission. The University of Texas Rio Grande Valley reserves the right to discontinue accepting applications prior to the stated close date of this position, after meeting the posting requirement of three (3) calendar days.
If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact us at (956) 665-2451 and/or [email protected]
UTRGV is a distributed location institution and working location is subject to change based on need.
All UTRGV employees are required to have a criminal background check (CBC). Incomplete applications will not be considered.
Substitutions to the above requirements must have prior approval from the Chief Human Resources Officer.
To apply, visit https://careers.utrgv.edu/postings/20944
Copyright ©2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency