PROMOTIONS SPECIALIST, DUKE INNOVATION & ENTREPRENEURSHIP
Auto req ID
1266 PROMOTIONS SPECIALIST
Promotions Specialist, Duke Innovation & Entrepreneurship Initiative
The Promotions Specialist serves as the social media manager and primary visual content creator (video, photography, graphic design) for Duke Innovation & Entrepreneurship (I&E), playing an important role in telling the story of innovation and entrepreneurship across Duke. S/he will work with the I&E team and communicators across Duke to tell university-wide stories of Duke innovators, to share entrepreneurial resources available to the entire Duke community (students, faculty, alumni, staff, parents), and to increase Duke’s profile as an international leader in this space. The ideal candidate will be an experienced content creator (video, photography, graphic design), a savvy social media manager (Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, Snapchat, LinkedIn, YouTube), and a strong storyteller who’s passionate about the role innovation and entrepreneurship play in positively impacting the world. S/he will be experienced in sourcing, producing, and sharing compelling content across internal and external platforms and will be a strong ambassador for I&E across the Duke and greater communities with a natural inclination for collaboration. Work Performed The Promotions Specialist will report to the Communications Manager while working closely with the Administrative Director, the Strategic Advisor for Communications & Partnerships, and the student marketing team.
Summary of Responsibilities:
• Collaborate with the Communications Manager on storytelling priorities and implementation to capture the impact of innovation and entrepreneurship at Duke;
• Manage I&E’s social media accounts and utilize social channels to source content, build audience engagement, and build relationships with partners at Duke and in the greater community; and
• Develop multimedia assets for both I&E and partner organizations in alignment with I&E’s communications strategies and priorities.
Social Media Strategy, Management, Monitoring, and Assessment (40%)
Co-create social media strategy and lead execution and outreach on Instagram, Twitter, Facebook, Snapchat, YouTube, and LinkedIn, sharing current, relevant, and engaging updates on innovation- and entrepreneurship-related programs, events, people, and stories at I&E, at Duke, and in the Triangle. Manage social media components of editorial strategy/calendar and event promotion plans. Co-create and execute on digital marketing campaigns and gather and analyze the data results. Build social media audiences, maintaining and expanding upon I&E’s relationships with Duke audiences (students, faculty, staff, alumni, prospective students, and parents) as well as with individuals, companies, community/area partners, and universities leading in innovation and entrepreneurship. Use social media channels to build Duke’s reputation in the thought leadership space surrounding innovation and entrepreneurship, drawing on faculty publications. Use social channels to source editorial content, monitoring stories and events that I&E and the greater University should amplify. Co-create social media toolkit guiding I&E stakeholders in managing their own social accounts as well as submitting content for I&E channels. Use analytics to grow channel audiences, take lessons from digital marketing campaigns, and inform larger editorial strategy, providing regular reports and making recommendations to improve reach and impact.
Digital Content Creation and Management - Video, Photography, Graphic Design (40%)
Work closely with the I&E team to create multimedia campaigns, content series, collateral pieces, and outputs across platforms and formats, including videos, images, gifs, infographics, and podcasts, both as part of our strategic communications and to leverage opportunities in the news cycle. Create high-quality original images to support social media posts/channels. Develop design assets for digital campaigns for I&E and partner organizations. Attend and cover live events with photography, videography, and social media coverage. Organize and manage I&E’s digital library, primarily photos and videos, and provide guidance/assistance to others seeking to utilize these assets. Keep up-to-date on digital media standards and trends as well as partners’ and other universities’ strategies.
Collaborative Editorial Planning and Project Management (10%)
Work with Communications Manager to determine editorial treatment of I&E’s and our partners’ events, programs, and stories. Provide support (information gathering, interviewing, etc.) for the creation andpublishing of new web and editorial content. Represent I&E at standing Duke-wide communicator working groups (for social media, photography, video).
Miscellaneous Support (10%)
• 3-5 years of working on multifaceted communications programs;
• Ability to manage multiple projects and priorities efficiently and effectively;
• Experience managing professional/organizational social media accounts and differentiating content based on different channels’ audiences;
• Experience producing a wide range of visual content, including videos, photos, graphics, infographics, and collateral;
• Demonstrated time- and project-management skills, including an ability to meet multiple deadlines by maintaining a high level of organization. Ability to set priorities and identifyresources;
• Ability to work independently with limited supervision. Flexible and able to routinely juggle multiple competing priorities and work with internal and external teams to meet project goals;
• Sense of humor, creative energy, proactivity, and strong skills working in teams; problem solver; relationship builder; and solid interpersonal skills;
• Strong written communication skills and an ability to maintain a consistent and professional voice;
• Experience with video and photography equipment and editing tools required;
• Proficiency in InDesign and Photoshop required;
• Proficiency in WordPress preferred
Note: This position includes work that at times takes place after “standard” office hours and on weekends. Please provide links for four work samples (two video, two graphic design) along with your application.
The Duke Innovation & Entrepreneurship Initiative works across the Duke community to turn ideas into action that can positively impact the world. I&E serves as an umbrella and entrepreneurial resource center across the university for students, faculty, and alumni who are using innovative approaches to tackle complex problems in order to create social impact. I&E supports the Duke community through:
• Teaching: classes and intensive hands-on experiences that build innovative mindsets
• and introduce entrepreneurial skills (ideation, business fundamentals, marketing, new venture creation)
• Mentoring: one-on-one engagement with experts in the field
• Realization: support for Duke entrepreneurs in moving their ideas into products in the marketplace
• Research: top-tier scholarshipon best practices and latestthinking on innovation and entrepreneurship
• Funding: investment in promising ideas with the necessary resources to seed new
• Ventures For more information about Duke I&E, see entrepreneurship.duke.edu
PROMOTIONS SPECIALIST, DUKE INNOVATION & ENTREPRENEURSHIP
Job Family Level
Full Time / Part Time
Regular / Temporary
PAS Adm - Duke Entrepreneurship
Duke University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employercommitted to providing employment opportunity without regard to anindividual's age, color, disability, gender, gender expression, genderidentity, genetic information, national origin, race, religion, sex,sexual orientation, or veteran status.
Duke aspires to create a community built on collaboration, innovation,creativity, and belonging. Our collective success depends on the robustexchange of ideas—an exchange that is best when the rich diversity ofour perspectives, backgrounds, and experiences flourishes. To achievethis exchange, it is essential that all members of the community feelsecure and welcome, that the contributions of all individuals arerespected, and that all voices are heard. All members of our communityhave a responsibility to uphold these values.
Essential Physical Job Functions:Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System mayinclude essential job functions that require specific physical and/ormental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests forreasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.
EducationWork requires analytical, communications and organizational skillsgenerally acquired through completion of a bachelor's degree program.
ExperienceWork requires one year of experience in program administration orinvolving academic, instructional or counseling activities to acquireskills necessary to plan, coordinate and implement a variety of programactivities and events.OR AN EQUIVALENT COMBINATION OF RELEVANT EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE