Academic Advisor and Capstone Coordinator for Graduate IT Programs
Academic Advisor and Capstone Coordinator for Graduate IT ProgramsTracking Code623-674 Job Description
The Academic Advisor and Capstone Coordinator for Graduate IT Programs is responsible for the students, the University, the community as a key individual in helping students make a connection to VU, assisting with the retention of students, and providing a multitude of services to meet an increasingly diverse student population. In addition, this position coordinates the Capstone semester for students in the MSIT program, which can be an on-campus professional development course (in the form of an incubator project), internship, research project or six credit thesis project.
- Academic advisor provides academic, social and personal support for students.
- Support the University by effectively advising students to make adjustments to academic and social systems at VU.
- Work with a diverse student population.
- Evaluate internship sites for the MSIT program.
- Coordinate the paperwork for all MSIT students entering their Capstone semester.
- Have a detailed understanding of the composition of CIS curriculum.
- Advise students for registration, review degree audits and track progress towards degree completion.
- Work alongside local, regional and national companies to develop internship opportunities.
- Coordinate activities with the chairperson of the CIS department, as well as other University offices.
- The advisor may approve drop/add, course withdrawals and also grants on-line class petitions.
- Assist the Program Director for the MS IT program by attending Program Director meetings, communicating with admitted students, assisting in marketing and recruitment efforts, and assisting with commencement activities.
Successful applicants will demonstrate a commitment to cultural diversity and the ability to work with individuals or groups from diverse backgrounds.
Employment at Valparaiso University will require a criminal background check.
To be considered for this position you must upload:
- Cover letter
- List of 3 professional references
- Answer all the application questions
Please address cover letter to:
Aysegul Yayimli, Chair of Computing and Information Sciences
Valparaiso, IN 46383
- Ability to work with students from different cultures and for whom English is not a first language.
- Possess strong communication and organizational skills.
- Understanding of basic technology.
- Understanding of administrative office functions, and basic office equipment.
- BA/BS from an accredited higher education institution
- Experience in student support services preferred