Job location: Charlottesville, VA
Employment Type: Full-time
Posted data: 2019-04-18
The Presidential Fellow is a full-time administrative position. As a staff member in the Office of the President, the Presidential Fellow works on initiatives related to the President’s current, highest priorities while carrying out other essential duties related to the activities of the President’s staff. The Presidential Fellow will conduct research, coordinate outreach and communications, and manage special projects as assigned by the President, Chief of Staff, and other members of the President’s Office team. The Presidential Fellow reports to the Special Advisor to the President for External Affairs.
This position has a 12 month term limit. At the conclusion of the appointment, the Presidential Fellow will be required to submit a written summary report of accomplishments, including recommendations for current and future initiatives.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities
Support for the President’s Priorities
- Conducts research and provides analysis related to the shaping and implementation of the University’s strategic plan
- Conducts research, coordinates teamwork, and provides analysis related to follow-up on equity issues identified in the report of the UVA-Community Working Group: jobs/wages; affordable housing; public health care; and youth/education
- Researches and analyzes issues in higher education for the president’s review and use
- Identifies and supports opportunities for the President to engage with the University community, with a particular focus on opportunities for student interaction
Communications and Project Support
- Researches, coordinates, and drafts briefing and background materials for the President and Chief of Staff in advance of meetings and events
- Conducts research related to the President’s speaking events, in support of the President’s speechwriter
- Prepares presentation materials for the President and Chief of Staff
- Researches and drafts letters and correspondence for the President’s Office; assists with tracking correspondence to ensure a coordinated and timely response
- Collaborates with staff in the Office of the President to coordinate and execute special projects
- Serves as a liaison between the President’s Office and other University departments for specific projects and assignments
- Assists with travel arrangements and logistics for the President
- Serves as an aide to the President during University-related travel (as needed); ensures the President is prepared for and appropriately staffed during University-related travel
- Provides coverage and assistance during major University events, as necessary (e.g., Final Exercises, Founders’ Day, visits by dignitaries)
Other Duties as Assigned
- Carries out other duties as assigned by the President or Chief of Staff
- Assists with unforeseen priorities that emerge in the Office of the President
- May be required to assist the agency or State government generally in the event of an emergency declaration by the Governor
Skills and Qualifications
- A degree from UVA with recent demonstrated knowledge of the culture within the University of Virginia is required.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Excellent oral and written communication skills; proven ability to clearly articulate information in multiple forums to a broad array of stakeholders.
- Excellent operational and project management skills, including the ability to prioritize and multi-task.
- Ability to interact with executive level administrators, government officials, faculty, staff, students, alumni, parents and other stakeholders in a productive, positive and professional manner.
- Ability to handle sensitive issues while maintaining confidentiality
- Ability to exercise discretion in prioritizing tasks, sharing information and using independent judgment.
- Ability to work independently as well as in collaboration with cross-functional teams.
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Strong knowledge of and passion for the University of Virginia, its culture, policies, and procedures.
- Ability to translate prior UVA experiences and knowledge in support of the institution’s mission, strategic aims, and programs.
The anticipated hiring range is $45,000 - $50,000. To be considered applications must be received by April 28, 2019.
To apply, visit https://uva.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/UVAJobs, Requisition number R0004596. Complete a job application online and upload each of these items: a cover letter, resume, writing sample, and contact information for three references. For questions about the position or application process please contact Ashley Cochran, Senior Academic Recruiter at [email protected]The University of Virginia, including the UVA Health System and the University Physician’s Group are fundamentally committed to the diversity of our faculty and staff. We believe diversity is excellence expressing itself through every person's perspectives and lived experiences. We are equal opportunity and affirmative action employers. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, color, disability, gender identity, marital status, national or ethnic origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, veteran status, and family medical or genetic information.