Communications Coordinator, Youth-Nex
Job location: Charlottesville, VA
Employment Type: Part-time
Posted data: 2019-04-17
The Curry School of Education and Human Development seeks a part-time Communications Coordinator to work in the Center for Effective Youth Development (Youth-Nex). Youth-Nex is a trans-disciplinary center focusing on three core domains: a) Out-of-School Time; b) Educational Systems: Middle School; and c) Community Engagement: Civic and Political. Central to its work is a translational approach to scholarship and innovation which aims to expand and apply the science of Positive Youth Development to enhance the strengths of youth and to prevent developmental risk such as violence; physical and mental health issues; substance abuse and school failure. Reporting to the Center Administrator of Youth-Nex, the Communications Coordinator provides support to Youth-Nex by performing a broad range of functions such as content development, writing, event advertising and marketing, and multimedia and creative production.
- Drafting and editing articles, press releases, annual reports and other documents
- Assist with maintaining a social media presence for the Center
- Providing project coordination
- Independently monitor and update organizational websites, social media sites, blogs, and newsletters
- Coordinate events, meetings, lectures and conferences.
- Assist in outreach to prospective students through helping to plan and implement activities throughout the year including developing fliers, handouts and other collateral to support admissions events and marketing.
- In addition to the above job responsibilities, other duties may be assigned as needed.
The anticipated hiring range for this position is $20,000-$21,000 working 20 hours per week.
This is a restricted position funded from non-continuous sources. Renewal will be ongoing based on performance, business need, and the availability of funding.
Education: Bachelor’s degree
Experience: At least two years of communications and marketing experience. Degree in English or communications may substitute for experience.
- Outstanding interpersonal, oral and written communication skills are required.
- Excellent organizational skills and exceptional attention to detail are required.
- Ability to manage and prioritize multiple priorities simultaneously under pressure is required.
- Ability to use Microsoft Office, Adobe Create Suite including InDesign, PhotoShop, Illustrator, digital photography, web-based content management systems and social media and other computer software, as needed.
- Ability to take initiative and work independently, as well as work effectively with a diverse community of students, faculty, staff and community members is essential.
- Demonstrated ability to interact tactfully with the general public and provide excellent customer service is required.
- Knowledge of established language style guides and the ability to edit according to set standards is essential.
- Must possess basic knowledge of Youth-Nex and the University’s mission, strategic aims, and programs.
PROCESS FOR EXTERNAL APPLICANTS: Please apply through Workday, and search for ‘Communications Coordinator, Youth-Nex'. Complete an application online and attach a cover letter, CV/resume, and contact information for three references (name, email address, telephone number, and address).
PROCESS FOR INTERNAL UVA APPLICANTS: Please apply through your Workday Home page, search “Find Jobs”, and search for ‘Communications Coordinator, Youth-Nex'. Complete an application online and attach a cover letter, CV/resume, and contact information for three references (name, email address, telephone number, and address).
For questions about this position or the application process please contact Bethany Case, Academic Recruiter, at [email protected].The University of Virginia, including the UVA Health System and the University Physician’s Group are fundamentally committed to the diversity of our faculty and staff. We believe diversity is excellence expressing itself through every person's perspectives and lived experiences. We are equal opportunity and affirmative action employers. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, color, disability, gender identity, marital status, national or ethnic origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, veteran status, and family medical or genetic information.