Admissions Counselor, Transfer
Posting DetailsPosition Information Posting Number 20111750 Position Title Admissions Counselor, Transfer Template Title Position Type Staff Position Number Department Enrollment Services Position Summary Information Job Summary/Basic Function
Lamar University admissions counselors are responsible for recruiting prospective students by promoting Lamar University programs to undergraduate students, pre-admission advisement and matriculation to ensure enrollment goals are met. The transfer admissions counselor should be well versed in networking, undergraduate degree programs, and the college course numbering system. This position will live and work in the Southeast Texas area and reports directly to the Assistant Director of Transfer Recruitment.
•Recruit prospective students by roving accurate and timely – pre-admission advisement to prospective students, parents, families and other members of the public.
•Network with junior colleges, community colleges, technical institutions of higher learning, who already have a signed memorandum of understanding, to help establish an articulation agreement (program to program) with departments.
•Providing knowledgeable and professional representation of Lamar University with students in groups, one-on-one, and during on and off campus events to increase community awareness.
•Working directly with community colleges, technical centers, businesses, and other constituencies in activities designed to prepare students for an easier transition to a Lamar University four-year program.
•Facilitating the pre-admission and conversion process through various sales methods to include, but not limited to: automated and personalized communication, community college visits, pre-screened cold calling, presentations, etc.
•Assisting prospective students, and their families with the ApplyTexas application. Federal Application for Financial Student Aid (FAFSA) and other items that are needed to transfer.
•Maintaining and expanding prospective student recruitment through lead generation, prospect guidance, and matriculation assistance.
•Researching prospective student history, following though on leads, and maintaining records on assigned recruiting territory.
•Attending events and making presentations to communicate with prospective students and their families in an effort to promote Lamar University and its programs.
•Evaluating prospective student needs and building productive relationships by providing individualized assistance with educational goal identification, program selection, payment/financial aid planning, and paths degree and/or certificate completion.
•Corresponding professionally with students offering advice, resources, or referral to other camps resources.
•Advising the Assistant Director of Transfer Recruitment on significant matters and supporting other members of the team in meeting foals and expectations.
•Contributes information and supports team efforts by accomplishing goals, monitoring competition and reactions from prospective students.
•Addressing issues and inquiries from prospective students, parents, families, and other members of the public in a timely and professional manner.
•Participating in staff development programs and campus functions. Mae recommendations regarding the website and publications to promote campus visit programs.
•Work with recruitment leadership to develop communication plans as a follow-up to campus visits.
•Attend various functions that merit Lamar University’s attendance.
•Performs all other essential duties as assigned.
Required Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
•Contacts with coworkers from other organizational units of the University.
•Tact and judgement are requirements in obtaining or giving information of a confidential nature.
•Comprehensive, practical knowledge of a technical field with use of analytical judgement and decision-making abilities appropriate to the work environment of the organization.
•Demonstrated time-management skills, ability to multitask, and meet deadlines.
•Ability to work and communicate effectively and respectfully with diverse populations.
•Strong interpersonal skills, creative problem-solving skills, and demonstrated skills in oral and written communication.
•Presentation and public speaking skills.
•Bachelor’s degree required
•Valid driver’s license required
•Experience recruiting a diverse and varied student population including low socioeconomic (SES), first generation, and other groups traditionally underrepresented in higher education preferred.
•Sales experience and familiarity with customer relationship management systems, relationship selling, and other sales techniques preferred.
•Preference given to candidates having direct experience at Lamar University as a successful and active student
•Transfer Admissions Counselors are expected to travel extensively within Lamar University’s recruitment zones. Evening and weekend hours will be required.
Lamar University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability or protected veteran status.Veteran's Preference Statement
Lamar University is proud to provide employment preference to veteran applicants in accordance with Texas 805 Government Code, Section 657.003.Preferred Qualifications Security Sensitive Statement
This position is security-sensitive and thereby subject to the provisions of the Texas Education Code §51.215, which authorizes the employer to obtain criminal history record information.Salary $38,000 Work Hours Application Information Posting Date 04/18/2019 Close Date Open Until Filled Yes Special Instructions Posting Specific Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Are you claiming Veteran's Preference in accordance with Texas Senate Bill 805, Section 657.003? FAILURE TO EMAIL THE FOLLOWING REQUIRED DOCUMENTS PER THESE INSTRUCTIONS MAY IMPACT VETERAN'S PREFERENCE: To claim Veteran's Preference under the law you must be: (1) a veteran, including a veteran with a disability; (2) a surviving spouse of a veteran killed on active duty who has not remarried; or (3) an orphan of a veteran if the veteran was killed while on active duty. If claiming Veteran's Preference, you MUST immediately email to [email protected] your specific supporting documentation at the time of application such as the DD Form 214 (member 4 copy), AND, if applicable, the Dept of Veteran's Affairs Verification of Disability Benefits Letter if claiming a service related disability, a DD Form 1300 to include qualifying Death, Birth, and Marriage Certificates if claiming surviving spouse/orphan. Your email MUST also include your name, position number, job title and the department for each position you are applying for. Documents received after a position closes will not be accepted.
- * Do you have a Bachelor's Degree?
- * In what field did you earn your Bachelor's degree?
(Open Ended Question)
- * The Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board (THECB) maintains a list of Institutions Whose Degrees are illegal to Use in Texas. You can search for your institution on the THECB website at: http://www.thecb.state.tx.us/index.cfm?objectid=3D2801D0-1C9F-11E8-BC500050560100A9. Copy and paste this link into a web browser in order to search under "Fraudulent or Substandard Institutions" for your college/university attended for your degree. Please check your answer BEFORE you submit your application. HR is not responsible for checking your answer nor resubmitting your application back into the pool if you do not answer this question correctly.As part of your educational qualifications for this position, are you claiming a degree from any of the institutions listed on the THECB website referenced above?
- Yes, my institution IS on this list & IS Not accredited.
- No, my institution is NOT on this list & IS accredited.
- * How many years of progressive recruiting, admission and/or higher education experience in student services do you have? Please specify area(s) and years.
(Open Ended Question)
- * Do you have a valid drivers license? If yes, please specify the expiration date.
(Open Ended Question)
- Letter of Interest
- Unofficial Transcript 1