PAYROLL TECHNICIAN II
To provide the accounting and advanced technical skills necessary to the function of a payroll department. Responsible for maintaining accurate employee records and the preparation of reports affecting transfers of retirement and other taxing authority funds.Description of Duties
• Provides customer assistance in regard to payroll-related inquiries as posed from various sources, including personal, telephone, or e-mail. Helps direct customers to appropriate area when not payroll-related.
• Audits and reviews electronic time record activity for hourly employees. Responsibility includes posting Web Time Entry hours for payroll processing. Works with various departments/employees to resolve any inconsistencies/corrective action.
• Audits and reviews electronic time record activity for salaried employees other than faculty. Responsibility includes posting leave absences to update employee leave balances. Works with Academic Affairs to resolve any inconsistencies/corrective action.
• Audits/reviews electronic faculty absence reporting via APEX system. Responsibility includes posting leave reporting to Payroll system to update faculty leave balances.
• Processes, reviews, reconciles, prepares various payroll related disbursements such as retirement funds, employment tax funds, insurance funds, etc.
• Posts journal entries to record disbursement activity.
• Submits routine payroll job to process monthly employee vacation and sick leave accruals and validates results.
• Submits routine payroll jobs and reports to support payroll-related activities.
• Assists in auditing holiday, vacation, and sick leave taken and related accrued leave balances.
• Performs the payroll exit process regarding employees who are terminating employment with UTRGV.
• Analyzes employee data and initiates vacation settlement processing.
• Audits/validates overtime reporting for payroll processing. Communicates with various personnel to resolve inconsistencies.
• Provides specific assistance to Payroll staff, collecting data necessary for research, follow-up action, and communicating with applicable party(ies).
• Evaluates payroll adjustments in pay or accrued leave and presents findings to Supervisor.
• May assist in payroll related reconciliations
• May assist in state related reporting activities
• May assist in tax withholding reviews
• May provide support to Tax Compliance Office staff
• May be tasked with special projects and performs other duties as assigned.
• Meets daily, weekly, monthly, and quarterly deadlines.
• Performs other duties as assigned.Supervision Received
Specific supervision from assigned supervisor.Supervision Given
May supervise assigned staff.Required Education
High school diploma or equivalent.Preferred Education
Business/vocational school training or college course work in accounting or business.Licenses/Certifications
Two (2) years of payroll experience and/or three (3) years accounting/bookkeeping experience.Preferred Experience
Use of standard office equipment. Typing/data entry skills and ten key calculator by touch.Working Conditions
Needs to be able to successfully perform all required duties. Office Environment; some travel and weekend work may be required.Other
Must have excellent interpersonal, analytical, and organizational skills. Must be able to exercise patience and tact in dealing with irate/upset employees. Must be able to stoop and reach to retrieve and replace files and documents. May be able to lift and carry up to 20 pounds unaided. Must have ability to move between offices and buildings.Physical Capabilities
N/AEmployment Category Full-Time Minimum Salary Commensurate with Experience Posted Salary Commensurate with Experience Position Available Date 04/18/2019 Grant Funded Position No If Yes, Provide Grant Expiration Date Posting Detail Information EEO Statement
UTRGV is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer that strives to hire without regard to race, color, national origin, sex, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetic information or veteran status. UTRGV takes affirmative action to hire and advance women, minorities, protected veterans and individuals with disabilities.Special Instructions to Applicants
Human Resources will not be held responsible for redacting any confidential information from the documents you attach with your application. The confidential information includes the following:
*Date of Birth
Please make sure that you omit this information prior to submission. We are advising that Human Resources will be forwarding your application to the department as per your submission. The University of Texas Rio Grande Valley reserves the right to discontinue accepting applications prior to the stated close date of this position, after meeting the posting requirement of three (3) calendar days.
If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact us at (956) 665-2451 and/or [email protected]Additional Information
UTRGV is a distributed location institution and working location is subject to change based on need.
All UTRGV employees are required to have a criminal background check (CBC). Incomplete applications will not be considered.
Substitutions to the above requirements must have prior approval from the Chief Human Resources Officer.Quick Link http://careers.utrgv.edu/postings/20935 Posting Supplemental Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Are you a current UTRGV employee?
- * Are you now, or previously, employed by The University of Texas System or any of its institutions?
- Yes - I currently am employed by the UT System or its institutions
- Yes - I have previously been employed by the UT System or its institutions
- No - I have never been employed by the UT System or its institutions
- * Please select your highest level of completed education.
- 6th grade education
- 10th grade education
- High School Diploma or GED
- Associates Degree, Technical, or Trade School Degree/Certification or 60 Hours of College Hours
- Bachelors Degree from an accredited university
- Masters Degree from an accredited university
- Ph. D. or other terminal degree from an accredited university
- None of the above
- * Please provide the field of study for your education:
(Open Ended Question)
- * Please indicate the number of years of full time work experience you have directly related to the position in which you are applying for:
- Less than 1 year
- 1 year
- 2 years
- 3 years
- 4 years
- 5 years
- 6 years
- 7 years
- 8 years
- 9 years
- 10 years
- Over 10 years
- * Do you meet the minimum requirements for this position?
- Cover Letter/Letter of Application
- Curriculum Vitae
- Unofficial Transcripts
- Reference Letter 1
- Reference Letter 2
- Reference Letter 3
- Certifications and Licenses
- Other Document
- List of 3 References
- Unofficial Transcripts 2
- Unofficial Transcripts 3
- Letter of Interest
- Unofficial Graduate Transcripts
- Additional Document
- Training Certificates