ASSISTANT DIRECTOR NMR FACILITIES
Posting DetailsPosting Details Reference Number 02-31617 Posted Job Title ASSISTANT DIRECTOR NMR FACILITIES School Name School of Arts and Sciences Org Chemistry Posted to the Web 04/12/2019 Posted Job/Salary Grade 027 Employment Type Exempt Hours N/A Position Type Full Time Position Schedule TBD Months 12 Position Length Ongoing Position End Date University Overview
The University of Pennsylvania, the largest private employer in Philadelphia, is a world-renowned leader in education, research, and innovation. This historic, Ivy League school consistently ranks among the top 10 universities in the annual U.S. News & World Report survey. Penn has 12 highly-regarded schools that provide opportunities for undergraduate, graduate and continuing education, all influenced by Penn’s distinctive interdisciplinary approach to scholarship and learning.
Penn offers a unique working environment within the city of Philadelphia. The University is situated on a beautiful urban campus, with easy access to a range of educational, cultural, and recreational activities. With its historical significance and landmarks, lively cultural offerings, and wide variety of atmospheres, Philadelphia is the perfect place to call home for work and play.
The University offers a competitive benefits package that includes excellent healthcare and tuition benefits for employees and their families, generous retirement benefits, a wide variety of professional development opportunities, supportive work and family benefits, a wealth of health and wellness programs and resources, and much more.School/Center Overview
The School of Arts and Sciences forms the foundation of the scholarly excellence that has established Penn as one of the world’s leading research universities. We teach students across all 12 Penn schools, and our academic departments span the reach from anthropology and biology to sociology and South Asian studies. http://www.sas.upenn.edu/Duties
This position is Assistant Director of the NMR Facility. Primary function is to assist the facility Director with the following principal duties in the facility: instrumentation maintenance, NMR training, NMR experiments implementation and other operations in NMR facility.
* Regularly performing routine calibrations and adjustments on the spectrometers and related accessories, including the helium compressor outdoor unit.
* Assisting with troubleshooting and spectrometer repair, including related hardware and software, operating system maintenance and management (Windows and Linux)
* Cryogen fills
* Training NMR new users, including scheduling training sessions and corresponding with new users, and setting up new user’s account on the online scheduler
* Updating and maintaining teaching pedagogy to maintain high quality training
* Non-routine NMR experiments training such as VT NMR and others
NMR experiments implementation:
* Implementing new NMR techniques
* Performing specialized experiments
Other operations in NMR facility:
* Running industrial samples
* Consulting with departmental research on advanced NMR related problems
* Assisting in NMR data management, online scheduler maintenance, instrument computer programming, computer security issues and the development of NMR website
- A Master’s Degree in the field of Chemistry is required, and a PhD degree in Chemistry is strongly preferred
* Minimum 2 years’ experience in NMR laboratory with at least one-year experience maintaining NMR instrumentation
* Demonstrated communication and interpersonal skills and team player are required
* Experience with Bruker NMR hardware and software and cryogenic fills are required.
* Experience with 1D and 2D solution state NMR techniques is required
* Teaching and training experience is preferred
* Experience with Unix/Linux and Windows operating systems is preferred. Programming skills in Perl or other scripting languages and experience in webpage development are a plus.
* Knowledge on electronics and experience of electronics repair are highly preferred.
Penn adheres to a policy that prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, creed, national or ethnic origin, citizenship status, age, disability, veteran status, or any other legally protected class.Special Requirements Background check required after a conditional job offer is made. Consideration of the background check will be tailored to the requirements of the job. Quick Link http://jobs.hr.upenn.edu/postings/45251 Posting Supplemental Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * How did you hear about this employment opportunity?
- [email protected]
- Contacted by a Penn Recruiter
- Referred by a Penn Employee
- Referred by a friend or family member
- Higher Education Recruitment Consortium (HERC)
- Inside Higher Ed
- Other Internet Advertisement
- Other Social Media Site
- Professional Affiliation/Trade Website
- Diversity Association/Publication Website
- Heard about it at a conference or career fair
- Apple One
- Recruitment and/or staffing agency
- * What is your highest level of education completed?
- Less than high school education
- High School Diploma or GED
- Vocational or Technical School
- Associate's Degree or Two Year College
- Bachelor's Degree
- Master's Degree
- PHD/MD/JD or equivalent doctoral degree
- * How many years of experience do you have related to this position?
- 0 to 1 Year
- 1 to 2 Years
- 2 to 3 Years
- 3 to 5 Years
- 5 to 7 Years
- 7 to 10 Years
- Over 10 Years
- Cover Letter