Technical Assistant III - Student Affairs Technology Services
Technical Assistant III - Student Affairs Technology Services
Job no: 499676
Work type: Staff Full Time
Location: UMass Amherst
Department: Technology Services
Categories: Computer & Information Technology
About UMass Amherst
UMass Amherst, the Commonwealth's flagship campus, is a nationally ranked public research university offering a full range of undergraduate, graduate and professional degrees. The University sits on nearly 1,450-acres in the scenic Pioneer Valley of Western Massachusetts, and offers a rich cultural environment in a bucolic setting close to major urban centers. In addition, the University is part of the Five Colleges (including Amherst College, Hampshire College, Mount Holyoke College, and Smith College), which adds to the intellectual energy of the region.
Works under the direct supervision of the Technical Services Manager/Analyst. Daily assignments and work coordination is under direction of Lead Help Desk Technician.
- Configures, installs, and maintains computer equipment and software programs including computer set-ups per departmental and division standards; responsibilities include software installation, upgrade and/or configuration, hardware replacement, troubleshooting and configuration, network configuration, application of fixes, patches and upgrades, documentation of all configurations and installations.
- Performs the helpdesk/field service function providing front line technical end-user support to Student Affairs staff to troubleshoot malfunctions or difficulties in using computer and network equipment, such as problems with printing, hardware and software configuration, network connectivity, system instability, hardware malfunction, memory configuration and operation system failures. Working with the Technical Services manager/Analyst, as needed, for resolution, to coordinate the prioritization and resolution of computer technical problems throughout Student Affairs. Resolves issues and documents problems and/or new installations or configurations.
- Provides administrative and software support for specialized developed and vendor systems. Responds to problems on site, resolves issues and documents problems and/or new installations or configurations. Installs, upgrades, and maintains databases and information systems on client machines. Documents all configurations and installations.
- Timely completion of scheduled tasks, appropriate follow up and documentation. Keeps complete and up-to-date documentation of all work in help Desk management System.
- In the absence of the User Support Manager, coordinates daily assignments of help desk technicians and student staff; reviews work order management system, prioritizes, and assigns work of help desk staff.
- Assembles, reassembles, installs and operates various types of mechanical and electronic equipment using small hand tools and various testing equipment and devices in accordance with established specifications, technical manuals and/or diagrams.
- Keeps the asset inventory records up to date following all University and SACL policies related to equipment receiving, naming, location identification, and equipment disposal.
- Develop, spreadsheet or word processing systems to automate necessary tasks; responsible for documenting, maintaining, and upgrading these systems.
- Assists with research on new hardware and software and/or upgrades.
- Provides field training to users on operation systems and desktop applications and upgrades.
- Transports equipment, office supplies, and miscellaneous parcels, documents and delivers items to various sites on and off campus for SA Tech Services.
- Operates motor vehicle to travel to work sites.
- Understands and is committed to implementation of departmental and institutional goals for achieving non-discrimination and creating a multi-cultural environment.
- Performs other tasks as assigned.
Minimum Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, Experience, Certifications, Licensure)
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- 3 years relevant work experience in a technician/troubleshooting/help desk role, or equivalent technical certification, training or education. Experience to include:
- Expertise with the set-up, configuration, networking, diagnosis and troubleshooting of personal computers and peripheral devices such as printers, external drives, portable devices, etc.
- Experience providing technical support.
- Experience in at least one basic programming/scripting language.
- Experience using the Web to research problems, solutions, and related technology information.
- Experience working in a customer-orientated environment supporting both technical and non-technical users.
- Successful CHSB (Criminal History Systems Board) check.
- Valid Driver's License.
- Proficiency in business applications such as word processing, spreadsheet applications, presentation, and graphics programs.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing.
- Ability to work independently, manage multiple tasks and manage time effectively.
- Strong organization and documentation skills.
- Ability to attend to details, prioritize, maintain accuracy, follow through on detailed tasks and meet deadlines.
- Maturity and discretion working with confidential data.
- Ability to perform physically demanding work lifting 50 pounds.
Preferred Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, Experience, Certifications, Licensure)
- Associate’s Degree or Technical Program Certification strongly preferred.
- Knowledge of University and SACL rules, policies and procedures.
- Knowledge of computer and networking support in a large university setting.
- Extensive knowledge and experience in participating in a help desk function.
- Knowledge and experience in new and emerging technologies.
Physical Demands/Working Conditions
- Typical Office Environment
- Requires some off hour and weekend work to meet deadlines, for system upgrades, to resolve critical problems, and for high profile business operations.
- Monday - Friday, 37.5 hrs/wk
- Pay Grade 15
UMass Amherst is committed to a policy of equal opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, age, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, military status, or genetic information in employment, admission to and participation in academic programs, activities, and services, and the selection of vendors who provide services or products to the University. To fulfill that policy, UMass Amherst is further committed to a program of affirmative action to eliminate or mitigate artificial barriers and to increase opportunities for the recruitment and advancement of qualified minorities, women, persons with disabilities, and covered veterans. It is the policy of the UMass Amherst to comply with the applicable federal and state statutes, rules, and regulations concerning equal opportunity and affirmative action.
Advertised: Apr 18 2019 Eastern Daylight Time
Applications close: Apr 24 2019 Eastern Daylight Time