Laboratory Assistant Job Number Full/Part Time Schedule Salary 201903229541 Full Time 8AM - 5PM $32,656 - $37,835 Position Information UC Riverside, Botany and Plant Sciences Department is seeking a Laboratory Assistant I to carry out molecular biology procedures such as DNA extraction & PCR and maintain research plants. UCR is the premier research University in Inland Southern California and we are seeking the best to join us. UCR gives every employee the resources to explore, engage, imagine and excel. The department administrative staff is committed to Service Excellence, Honesty, Integrity and an Optimal work environment. Within this exciting environment, rich with growth opportunities, you will perform duties such as water and maintain healthy plants, hand pollinate tomato and wild tomato plants, collecting data on phenotypes of plants, sectioning and staining dates and maintaining tobacco plants. Expected appointment duration is a year and continued employment is based on availability of funding. Minimum Requirements Ability to work in a greenhouse to ensure that experimental plants are maintained well. Ability to read and follow written and oral directions. Must be able to organize or develop a system to keep track of samples or data collected, must be able to enter data into an Excel spreadsheet. Under general supervision, ability to work independently but also work well with others when needed. Experience with Microsoft Excel and Word. Preferred Qualifications Graduation from college including courses in plant biology and molecular biology, and 6-months experience in a plant biology laboratory. Ability to use a microtome, experience with sterile technique and plant transformation. Ability to carry out molecular biology procedures, such as DNA Extraction and PCR. Solid mathematical skills (adding, subtracting, multiplying, dividing, percents, proportions, fractions, dilutions, metric-English conversions, scientific units). Additional Information In the Heart of Inland Southern California, UC Riverside is located on nearly 1,200 acres near Box Springs Mountain in Southern California; the park-like campus provides convenient access to the vibrant and growing Inland region. The campus is a living laboratory for the exploration of issues critical to growing communities' air, water, energy, transportation, politics, the arts, history, and culture. UCR gives every student, faculty and staff member the resources to explore, engage, imagine and excel.
UC Riverside is recognized as one of the most ethnically diverse research universities in the country boasting several key rankings of which we are extremely proud.
- UC Riverside was included in the (August 2018) edition of The Princeton Review's "The Best 382 Colleges."
- Shanghai Jiao Tong University (August 2017) Academic Ranking of World Universities ranked UC Riverside among the top 151 institutions. This survey bills itself as "the most trustworthy precursor of global rankings of the world's top 500 universities."
- In 2016, UCR was recognized for graduation rate success by the Association of Public and Land-Grant Universities (APLU) for achieving near parity across racial-ethnic, socio-economic, and gender boundaries.
- UCR ranks among the Top 15 Public Research Universities in the nation, as identified by the 2017 Washington Monthly.
- In 2017, two separate reports from the Education Trust celebrated UCR as a national leader for African American and Latino student success. UCR was one of just three schools to be named top-performing institutions in both reports and the only California campus recognized among 18 top-performing colleges and universities in the nation for high black student graduation rates.
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer with a strong institutional commitment to the achievement of excellence and diversity among its faculty and staff. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
For information about our generous employee benefits package, visit: Employee Benefits Overview
Job Description Details View complete Job Description for this position