Catering Services Coordinator
Amherst College invites applications for the Catering Services Coordinator position. The Catering Services Coordinator is a full time, year round position, job group and level AO-4. This is a one-year term appointment. Under the direction of the Manager of Dining Services and Catering, and the Assistant Manager of Dining Services, the Catering Services Coordinator supports all aspects of supplies and equipment, delivery, and setup and breakdown required to execute catered events in multiple locations across campus. In addition, the coordinator schedules and assigns tasks to catering assistants and dishwashers during events.
The work schedule varies and corresponds to the College's operational needs. Our work is central to student life and their needs occur at a variety of times throughout the day, week, and year and in such, a flexible schedule with extended shift times and weekends are required.
The Coordinator takes appropriate actions to support a diverse workforce and participates in the College's efforts to create a respectful, inclusive, and welcoming work environment.
Event Logistics Coordination
- Meet with Catering Manager/Assistant Manager regularly review and establish expectations for the successful execution of specific assigned catered event(s)
- Manage the food inventory transition from kitchen to event space
- Oversee the delivery, and set up and breakdown of events, as well as participate in these duties
- Communicate with the Culinary Staff to assure proper timing of reception/buffet presentations and/or plated meal service
- Ensure all facilities used are properly secured and closing procedures are followed for every aspect of the event including kitchens, dish rooms, storage areas, event spaces and delivery vehicles
- Complete post event inventories and route to appropriate staff
- Place supply orders appropriate for event needs
- In coordination with and as assigned by Catering Managers participate in ongoing orientation and training of all casual and student wait staff/bartenders/delivery and set-up staff
- In consultation with the Catering Managers, schedule catering services assistants (regular and casual) and dishwashers for events
- Assign tasks to dishwashers and catering assistants during events
Physical and Environmental Demands
- Lift, carry, push and or/pull up to 50 lbs. with assistance
- Outdoor elements-exposure to fluctuations in temperature and weather conditions
- Exposure to wet floors
- Ascend and descend stairs
- Reaching, bending, frequent walking and standing
- Visual - normal concentration
- Repetitive motions including hands, wrists and fingers
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Serve Safe Certification and TIPS Certification or completed within 6 months of hire
- Valid Driver's License and successful credentialing is required in order to operate college vehicles
- two years of related experience
- Attention to detail and problem solving skills
- Strong organizational and time management skills
- Ability to follow written and verbal instructions as well as strong verbal communication skills
- Commitment to supporting a diverse workplace environment
- Successful completion of pre-employment physical and lift test
- Experience working in College or University Food Service or Hospitality
Interestedcandidates are asked to submit a cover letter, resume, and the names and contact information (email and/or telephone numbers) for three professional references. Review of applications will continue until the position is filled.
ABOUT AMHERST COLLEGE
Amherst College, one of the premier liberal arts colleges in the nation, is located in Amherst, Massachusetts, a town of approximately 35,000 residents in the western part of the state. The college's community is composed of about1,800 students from 48 states, plus Washington, D.C., Puerto Rico and 54 countries around the world, and about 1,000 staff and faculty. The college's scenic 1,000-acre campus includes a 500-acre wildlife sanctuary and the Book & Plow Farm ; three museums: Emily Dickinson Museum , Beneski Museum of Natural History and Mead Art Museum ; and multiple educational and cultural venues and resources through the Five College Consortium. The town of Amherst offers an amazing variety of coffee shops, restaurants and entertainment, and a very active outdoor life. Our vibrant campus, diverse community and beautiful surrounding, makes Amherst College and the Town of Amherst the perfect place to work, learn and live!