Special Collections Librarian, Senior Assistant Librarian (PT -Temp)
San José State University
San José, California
ANNOUNCEMENT OF POSITION AVAILABILITY
Subject to Budgetary Approval
Part-Time, Temporary - Senior Assistant Librarian
Position and Rank: Special Collections Librarian, Senior Assistant Librarian (PT – Temp)
- ALA-accredited Master’s degree in library and information science (MLIS) or its equivalent.
- One year experience working in a Special Collections or Archives setting.
- Demonstrated knowledge of and experience using Special Collections and University Archives across both print and electronic formats within a library setting.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to work collaboratively with other librarians, support staff, teaching faculty and students in an evolving organization and rapidly changing information environment.
- Candidate must demonstrate awareness and sensitivity to educational goals of a student population of great diversity – in age, cultural background, ethnicity, primary language and academic preparation - as might have been gained in cross-cultural study, training, teaching and other comparable experience.
Description of Duties:
- Facilitate public services in Special Collections & Archives Reading Room, responding to on-site and off-site reference requests.
- Supervise and train student assistants in answering reference questions and processing collections.
- Assist with physical arrangement and online description of archival collections according to DACS standards.
- Assist with archival instruction sessions for visiting classes.
- Assist with scanning requests and curating exhibits.
- Promote the library's Special Collections and University Archives resources, services, and programs through social media.
Salary: Commensurate with qualifications and experience. Salary information is available at: Salary Schedule
Eligibility: Employment is contingent upon proof of eligibility to work in the United States.
Application Procedures: Please email the following items to [email protected]:
- Cover letter expressing qualifications and relevant experience,
- A resume/CV of academic preparation, experience and qualifications,
- The names, addresses and telephone numbers of 3 professional references
NOTE: If selected for an interview, applicants will be asked to provide: (1.) Original transcripts and (2.) Three original letters of recommendation
Deadline and procedures for notification: Positions become available on an ongoing basis and will remain open until filled. Applicants who are not selected will be notified via email.
Please contact the SJSU Library Human Resources Office at 408-808-2080 if you have questions.
San José State University and San José Public Library jointly operate the Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Library which serves SJSU students and the residents of San José. San José State University is California’s oldest institution of public higher learning. The campus is located on the southern end of San Francisco Bay in downtown San José (Pop. 1,000,000), hub of the world-famous Silicon Valley high-technology research and development center. Many of California’s most popular national, recreational, and cultural attractions are conveniently close. A member of the 23-campus California State University (CSU) system, San José State University enrolls approximately 33,000 students, a significant percentage of whom are members of minority groups. The Library – and the University of which it is a part - is committed to increasing the diversity of its faculty so our students and the community can benefit from multiple ethnic and gender perspectives.
San José State University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. We consider qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, gender, gender identity/expression, sexual orientation, genetic information, medical condition, marital status, veteran status, or disability. This policy applies to all San José State University students, faculty, and staff as well as University programs and activities. Reasonable accommodations are made for applicants with disabilities who self-disclose. Note that all San José State University employees are considered mandated reporters under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and are required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
A background check (including a criminal records check) must be completed satisfactorily before any candidate can be offered a position with the CSU. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the application status of applicants or continued employment of current CSU employees who apply for the position.
The latest San José State University Safety 101 Uniform Campus Crime and Security Report is available. You may request a copy of San José State University’s annual safety report by contacting the University Police Department at (408) 924-2222 or by visiting the University Police Department website at (http://www.sjsu.edu/police.)