Requisition InformationPosition Information Posted with Limited Access No Limited Access Period Ending Date Title Research Associate Posting Number S01265 Full-Time/Part-Time Full-time Typical Hours Per Week 37.5 Regular, Temporary or Term Regular If temporary or term, enter anticipated end date Benefits Eligible? Yes Hourly/Salaried Hourly Band/Level CNS2 Hiring Minimum $23.08 Department CNS Location Monterey, CA Campus Hire contingent upon successful completion of the following post-offer screening Criminal Background Check Position Summary Position Summary
The Research Associate will assist in the operations and implementation of activities tasked to and performed at CNS, as described in the duties below. This is a full-time staff position.Responsibilities Essential Functions
(1) Manage and complete deliverables for the Nuclear Threat Initiative (NTI) website, including articles, 3D models, videos, and educational tutorials.This position will primarily manage deliverables relating to open source intelligence and/or the Middle East and nonproliferation. This work involves significant foreign language research, especially relating to the Middle East region.
(2) Hire, train, task, and supervise CNS graduate students, with minimal input from the NTI Project Manager.
(3) Train both students and staff in new tools techniques.
(4) Review and approve content produced by other students and staff, editing it as necessary to ensure it is web-ready.
(5) Conduct original research and write reports and scholarly articles on nonproliferation.
(6) Fulfill time-sensitive and often last-minute research requests as current events warrant.
Other duties as required.Qualifications Education
M.A. degree in political science or international relations. Previous research experience and publications on WMD nonproliferation topics are desirable.Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
(1) Advanced knowledge of open source intelligence and nonproliferation such as geospatial analysis, ground imagery analysis, 3D modeling, mapping, and video production.
(2) Proficiency in Middle East area studies as demonstrated by 1-2 years educational and/or professional experience in the region (e.g., through work experience or study abroad programs), research experience, and appropriate language skills.
(3) Proficiency in Arabic required. Proficiency in at least 1 of the following additional regional languages strongly preferred: Persian, Turkish, or Hebrew. Foreign language skills in addition to the above will also be considered favorably.
(3) Strong research, writing, analysis, and copy-editing skills, especially in a nonproliferation context.
(4) Capable of multi-tasking and working in a dynamic environment. Organizational and project management skills essential.
(5) Capable of working well with others, especially as a supervisor or team leader.
1 – 2 years of experience doing relevant research, writing, and analysis (e.g., nonproliferation, open source intelligence/new tools research, Middle East area researchPhysical Demands
The Middlebury Institute of International Studies at Monterey maintains a smoke-free workplace and complies with the Federal Drug-Free Schools and Communities Act and Drug-Free Workplace Act.
Position requires light to moderate physical effort and the ability to work at a computer keyboard for extended periods of time.Posting Information Close Date Open Until Filled Yes Special Instructions to Applicants
To apply: complete an onlin application and attach all required documents.Recommendations
Some postings require contact information for reference providers for confidential letters of recommendation.Recommendation Letter Requirements Supplemental Questions for Posting
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- Cover Letter
- Resume/C V
- Reference Letter 1
- Reference Letter 2
- Reference Letter 3