* This is a 9 month, regular, full-time position. The working hours are 40 hours per week, 5 days per week, or variable schedule based on business needs.
This position is responsible for baking items in the bakery for meal services and catering. The Baker is responsible for preparing breads, muffins, cakes, cookies, bars, pies and specialty desserts. Prepare vegan and gluten-free options daily. Coordinate with Sous and Executive Chef to introduce new baked items to the department. Have flexibility to provide aid in areas of baking. Adhere to health codes required for working with food, maintaining food quality standards, and a clean and organized environment. From scratch baking principles is a key element of this job.
DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Reporting to the Executive Chef performs the following essential duties and responsibilities:
- Bakes items from scratch according to the bakery prep sheet for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Bakes breads, muffins, cakes, cookies, bars, pies and specialty desserts, this includes, but is not limited to, mousses, cheesecakes, roulades, napoleons, fruit tarts, macaroons, crème brulees, and breakfast pastries.
- Prepares vegan and gluten-free options daily from scratch.
- Prepares baked items for catering events, including fine dining items.
- Sets up the baking cart daily for the following day. Ensures the Opening Team has prepped and finished baked goods.
- Coordinates Baker’s prep with the Baking Team, Sous and Executive Chef. Completes assigned items on the production lists and communicates with the Sous and Executive Chef to ensure all items are completed.
- Responsible for cleaning station and equipment on a regular basis during the shift and at the conclusion of the shift, following the sanitation schedule. Calibrates ovens and scales on a regular basis to ensure consistency of product.
- Brings new ideas to the baking department through interactions with customers and independent research.
- Prepares pizza dough and bakes pizzas.
- Prepares and executes ‘action staion’ desserts during meal services throughout the week.
- Other duties may be assigned as appropriate. This includes daily, weekly, monthly cleaning, and cross training as time permits.
- Follows proper food preparation and sanitation directives as established by Health Department. Complies with internal policies and procedures as they apply to food, sanitation, and safety within Dining Hall department. This includes, but is not limited to, keeping work area clean, properly/safely using equipment and keeping floor free of food/liquid that may be a potential safety hazard, adhering to the agreed work schedule.
OTHER ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS:
- Regular attendance is an essential function of this position.
- Ability to take and follow directions.
- Ability to work cooperatively with others.
- Ability to receive and respond appropriately to constructive criticism.
- Ability to display a positive attitude.
- Ability to multitask.
EDUCATION: Any combination of education, training and/or experience equivalent to High School Diploma or GED that provides the required knowledge, skills and ability.
EXPERIENCE: Prior baking experience is required. Must have experience working in a fast paced commercial kitchen.
CERTIFICATION: A California food handler card required.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS: Must be able to stand, walk, bend, climb, push, pull, stoop, twist, stretch, squat, reach and lift up to 25 lbs. from floor to waist level without assistance. Individual must be able to work on feet for prolonged periods of time.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, and ABILITIES: Individual must possess knowledge, skills, and ability to be able to successfully perform the essential functions of the position, or be able to explain or demonstrate how the essential functions will be performed, with or without reasonable accommodation, using some other combination of knowledge skills and abilities.
- Must have baking experience in a fast paced commercial kitchen using commercial kitchen equipment.
- Must be able to bake from scratch.
- Knowledge of food sanitation policies and procedures is required.
- Must be able to perform arithmetic functions involving fractions and decimals, relating to food preparation. Must have working knowledge of the metric system.
- Take initiative in performance of your work tasks and be willing to assist others as needed.
- Use organizational and time management skills. Complete work with a sense of urgency, accuracy, and attention to detail.
- Be respectful and courteous to coworkers, customers, visitors, managers and others. Communicate clearly and professionally.
- Must be able to establish cooperative working relationships and work well with minimal supervision.
- Deploy professional skills in in collaboration with colleagues, to best promote the College’s strategic interests and provide the best quality on campus food service.
- Must be able to satisfactory understand and follow job related instructions in English, both orally and written.
REQUIRED HOURS: The regular hours for this position line up with a 9 month academic calendar. The regular hours for this position are 40 hours per week, 5 days per week or variable schedule depending on the department needs. Overtime, holiday, weekend and evening work hours may be required. Regular hours may vary due to needs of the College or department. Individual must be willing to work a flexible schedule.
CLASSIFICATION AND STATUS:
- This is a non-exempt position.
- This is a regular, full-time position.
- This is a benefits-eligible position.
- This is a nine month position.
IPEDS Category Job Code: 35-0000 Food Preparation and Serving Related Occupations
Physical Requirements: Moderate (up to 30 lbs.)
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITY: None
GROOMING AND APPEARANCE: The Claremont Colleges seek to maintain a neat and professional image at all times. A uniform is required and will be provided.
BACKGROUND CHECK: The successful candidate will be required to undergo a full consumer background check. This position will also require the successful completion of a post-offer physical agility test. Employment is contingent on the satisfactory results of the aforementioned, in addition to compliance with requirements cited in this job description.
ADA/OSHA: This job description defines the essential or fundamental job duties of this position. It is assumed that employees hired for this position can perform the essential functions of this job without imposing risk of substantial harm to the health or safety of themselves or others. It may also include marginal functions, generally defined within Title 1 of the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA).
DISCLAIMER: This job description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities and qualifications required of employees assigned to this position. When duties and responsibilities change and develop, the College will review this job description and make changes of business necessity.