Assistant Men's Hockey Coach
Assistant Men's Hockey Coach Department: Athletics Date: 04/15/2019 POSITION VACANCY
Founded in 1813, Colby is one of America’s most selective colleges. Serving only undergraduates, Colby’s rigorous academic program is rooted in deep exploration of ideas and close interaction with world-class faculty scholars. Students pursue intellectual passions, choosing among 58 majors or developing their own. Independent and collaborative research, study abroad, and internships offer robust opportunities to prepare students for postgraduate success. Colby is home to a community of 2,000 dedicated and diverse students from around the globe. Its Maine location provides easy access to world-class research institutions and civic engagement experiences.
In a period of fast-paced progress, Colby is building on its strong foundation while remaining committed to excellence, to supporting students and faculty at the highest levels, and to the College’s deep liberal arts traditions. This new chapter includes the creation of innovative academic initiatives and partnerships, strengthening the connections between the liberal arts and the professional world, revitalizing downtown Waterville, and pursuing significant capital projects for performing arts and athletics. Colby invites applicants to apply for the position of:
ASSISTANT MEN'S HOCKEY COACH
Department of Athletics
Part-Time, Academic Year, Non-Exempt, Hourly, Staff Appointment
Colby is a member of the New England Small College Athletic Conference (NESCAC) and has 28 intercollegiate sports that compete at the Division III level, and four programs (men’s and women’s Alpine and Nordic Skiing) that compete at the Division I level. The department also hosts a variety of club and intramural sports. Over one-third of Colby’s 2,000 students participate in intercollegiate sports, and in total, nearly three-quarters are involved in fitness and recreation activities in the department.
The College has broken ground on the construction of a new, state-of-the-art athletics complex, scheduled to open in the fall of 2020, which is destined to be among the best Division III facilities in the country. The 350,000 square-foot athletics center will include an indoor track and field competition center, aquatic center with Maine’s first 50-meter pool, squash center, gymnasium, hockey arena, strength & fitness center, training rooms, and coaching suites. Additionally, the College recently opened a 70-acre-plus outdoor competition center that consists of three gleaming new competition and recreational fields that are also among the finest outdoor venues in Division III.
The Colby College Department of Athletics seeks an assistant men’s hockey coach beginning September 3, 2019 and ending June 30, 2020. This is a part-time appointment. The assistant men’s hockey coach’s responsibilities include assisting the head coach in all duties involved in running a competitive Division III hockey program. We encourage inquiries from candidates who will contribute to the diversity of our College, including its cultural and ethnic diversity.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- On-site coaching in games and practices, including organization and implementation of daily practices
- Prepare film breakdown and analysis, and present analysis to team members
- Plan and prepare for games
- Provide support and encouragement to student athletes including academic counseling and advising
- Monitor academic progress of athletes
- Recruit and retain talented athletes successfully
- Research academic and athletic credentials
- Build relationships with prospective student athletes and their families through email, phone, and one-on-one meetings
- Organize and implement overnight visits
- Understand NESCAC and NCAA rules, compliance, and laws
- Ensure safety and well-being of student athletes
- Serve as an effective role model for college-age students
- Provide effective communication to head coach
- Collaborate effectively with other Department of Athletics’ team members
- Assist with day-to-day operations of the hockey program
- Perform additional duties as assigned; duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice
- Bachelor’s degree or the equivalent in education and experience
- Previous experience coaching and or/competing at the collegiate level is required
- Committed to the values of a liberal arts education
- Strong attention to detail and a commitment to delivering
- Must be organized, take initiative, and utilize strong time management skills
- Proven ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment
- Valid driver’s license required and must meet the College’s Fleet Safety Policy requirements
- Ability to travel for team practices, competition, and scouting in and out of state
- Strong positive communication and interpersonal skills with all levels
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Ability to excel as a member of a diverse community
This position has significant interaction with high school and college student athletes, their families, coaches, and administrators.
WORKING CONDITIONS/PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS:
Operates on ice, in gymnasium, and training rooms. General open office and campus environment. Position involves sitting, movement, and occasional lifting up to 50 pounds in coaching and training situations. Frequent travel and early morning/evening/weekend work is required.
Interested candidates should apply electronically by clicking the "Apply Now" button on the Colby College website. Please submit a letter of interest including salary requirements, resume, and the contact information of three professional references. Materials should be addressed to:
Assistant Men's Hockey Coach - Search Committee
Office of Human Resources
5500 Mayflower Hill
Waterville, ME 04901-8855
If you experience difficulty uploading your documents, you may submit any .doc or .pdf materials to [email protected] Please do not submit duplicate materials.To apply electronically send to [email protected]. If you choose to apply electronically you do not need to send duplicate copies by U.S. Mail. If your electronic materials are unreadable we will notify you promptly. A review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled. Colby is a private, coeducational liberal arts college that admits students and makes employment decisions on the basis of the individual's qualifications to contribute to Colby's educational objectives and institutional needs. Colby College does not discriminate in its educational programs or employment on the basis of race, color, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, religion, national origin, age, marital status, genetic information, or military or veteran’s status. Colby is an equal opportunity employer and operates in accordance with federal and state laws regarding non-discrimination. Colby complies with Title IX, which prohibits discrimination on the basis of sex in an institution’s education programs and activities. Questions regarding Title IX may be referred to Colby’s Title IX coordinator or to the federal Office of Civil Rights. We encourage inquiries from candidates who will contribute to the cultural and ethnic diversity of our college.
For more information about the College, please visit our web site: www.colby.edu.