Executive Director Regulatory Compliance
Job location: Miami, FL
Employment Type: Full-time
Posted data: 2019-04-15
If you are a current Staff, Faculty or Temporary employee at the University of Miami, please click here to log in to Workday to use the internal application process. To learn how to apply for a faculty or staff position using the Career worklet, please review this tip sheet.Where Excellence Meets PurposeThe University of Miami is among the top research universities and academic medical centers in the nation, and one of the largest private employers in South Florida.With more than 16,000 faculty and staff, the University strives for excellence, and is driven by a powerful purpose to transform and impact the lives of its students, patients, members of the community, and people across the globe.The University is committed to fostering a culture of belonging, where everyone feels valued and has the opportunity to add value. Through values of Diversity, Integrity, Responsibility, Excellence, Compassion, Creativity, and Teamwork (DIRECCT) the U community works together to create an environment driven by purpose, excellence, community, and service.The University has been named on Forbes's Best Employers list for two consecutive years, and is the only university in Florida to receive this honor.
The Executive Director, Regulatory Compliance is a division leader in the University of Miami Health System (“UHealth”) Compliance team, and is a direct report of the UHealth Chief Compliance Officer. His/her overarching responsibility is to ensure that the health system, including its hospital(s) are in compliance with University of Miami and UHealth Policies, as well as governing laws and regulations specific to the operation of the health care system including, but not limited to: Stark Law, Place of Service, Anti-Kickback, False Claims Act, Conflict of Interest, CMS conditions of participation, CMP and other Federal and/or State rules and regulations relevant to an effective compliance program. Juris Doctor strongly preferred for this role.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
- Implement and monitor a regulatory work plan within the scope of the UHealth compliance functions.
- Assist the Chief Compliance Officer with reports and presentations to the Board of Trustees.
- Implement organizational policies and procedures designed to promote compliance with the aforementioned regulations.
- Conduct on-going reviews at UM facilities on relevant regulatory issues.
- Conduct investigations into alleged non-compliance as necessary or appropriate.
- Identify potential compliance risk areas, recommend and assist with remedial actions to achieve compliance. Recommend and assist in developing and implementing mitigation/corrective action plans as appropriate.
- Monitor the mitigation/corrective action plans, report on progress against plans and take measures to ensure plans are completed timely and in quality fashion.
- Monitor and report on consistency and uniformity of disciplinary actions with respect to substantiated events of non-compliance.
- Collaborate with UM general counsel in related areas.
- Provide organizational support to all UHealth facility leadership to ensure effective communication and oversight of the organizational responses to unannounced regulatory visits and inspections.
- Maintain current knowledge of changes in statutes, rules, regulations, and guidance and inform all relevant parties of any regulatory changes.
- Responsible for ongoing training of UM physicians, administrators and staff on relevant topics.
- Supervise Regulatory Compliance Specialists and other division employees; work very closely with administrators and staff.
- Special projects as assigned.
- Participate in organization-wide, including hospital, committees and administrative meetings of various department and campuses as necessary to address regulatory standards or concerns and relate information to various disciplines as appropriate.
- Serves as a resources to the organization for interpretation of standards of regulatory agencies and provide support in communication and integration towards the mission and vision of the organization to all staff.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the UHealth Chief Compliance Officer.
• Master’s Degree in relevant field required. Juris Doctor strongly preferred.
• Certification in Healthcare Compliance or related certification preferred..
Work Experience Requirements:
• Seven (7) years of experience in legal and/or compliance in healthcare field.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Excellent writing skills relative to clear and concise reporting of events and activities.
- Highly experienced in Federal/State statutes and regulation as well as guidance
- Experience implementing organization policies and procedures.
- Knowledge of TJC, CMS accreditation and COP standards.
- Strong organizational, analytical, interpersonal and motivational skills required.
- Excellent communication (written and verbal) and presentation and training skills required.
- Experience with managing personnel.
- Demonstrate communication and organizational skills.
- Ability to work well in a collaborative, team environment.
- Seven (7) years of experience in legal and/or compliance in healthcare field.
- Strong sense of ethics and personal responsibility-job requires working with confidential data.
- Demonstration leadership skill
The University of Miami is an Equal Opportunity Employer - Females/Minorities/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities are encouraged to apply. Applicants and employees are protected from discrimination based on certain categories protected by Federal law. Click here for additional information.Job Status:Full timeEmployee Type:StaffPay Grade:c110