Food Service Sanitation Laborer
Request/Posting Number 0711889
Classification Title Food Service Sanitation Laborer
Working Title Food Service Sanitation Laborer
Job Class # 000024
Type of Position Civil Service
Percent Appointment: 1-100 (For Student Employment and Graduate Assistant Only; state hours per week) 100
Representation: AFSCME Local 1110
Department Dept of Event Mgmt, Dining & Hosp - 02650000
Job Category Staff
General Summary The Department of Event Management, Dining, and Hospitality is one of 12 departments within the Division of Student Affairs. It provides the campus community and guests with high-quality, efficient, and innovative event services and dining options in a variety of settings dedicated to accentuating and enhancing the campus experience in a diverse community.
This position may also assist in other tasks that require manual labor, including storage of food and kitchen equipment.
Whether it's to find a place to study, gather with friends, enjoy a bite to eat, or plan a large event, the Department of Event Management, Dining, and Hospitality takes great pride in providing welcoming and inclusive spaces, high-quality food services, and experienced and professional staff who care about making every experience individualized and extraordinary. It is our philosophy to recruit, inspire, and retain talented team members and promote wellness and foster their development. It is our goal to promote a more fully diverse and inclusive campus community.
Additional Information: Job Duties include, but are not limited to:
- Sweep, mop, and scrub floors and walls in kitchen venues, storage areas, freezers, trash, and janitor's rooms.
- Maintain and clean roll offs, garbage receptacles, brooms, mops, dustpans, floor mats, windows, grip rock, windows, hand sinks, and drinking fountains.
- Clean and operate dish machine and pulper. Wash pots and pans. Follow all established safety and sanitation policies and procedures.
- Clean kitchen equipment including ovens, fryers, grills, char broilers, tilt skillets, rotisserie oven, steam jackets, steam kettles, hoods, and filters.
- Replace beverage syrups, carbon dioxide canisters, and light bulbs when necessary.
- Assist with storage of delivered food products.
Required Qualifications 1. If this position is Security Sensitive or if you are subject to a criminal background investigation based on University policy, employment is contingent upon you passing a satisfactory criminal background investigation. You may not begin work until the criminal background investigation results have been received and cleared by Human Resources.
2. A final candidate must complete a post-offer pre-employment physical exam. Employment is contingent on the successful result of the pre-employment physical.
Desired Qualifications: 1. One (1) year of work experience in custodial work or any other responsible work experience demonstrating the relevant knowledge, skills and abilities.
2. Full knowledge and acceptance of principles of diversity.
3. Knowledge of use and operation of cleaning materials, methods and equipment; basic understanding of sanitation and safety procedures.
4. Good communication skills; ability to read and write; ability and willingness to follow oral and written instructions and work independently.
5. Excellent interpersonal skills, flexibility, and the ability to produce results working as part of a team or committee.
6. Basic mechanical ability; ability to do heavy lifting.
7. Ability to train and instruct student employees.
PERSONAL ATTRIBUTES NEEDED TO UNDERTAKE JOB
1. Knowledge of use and operation of cleaning solutions and equipment
2. Basic knowledge of food sanitation methods
3. Ability to move heavy objects
4. Ability and willingness to follow instructions
5. Basic mechanical ability
6. Basic math and reading skills
Necessary Licenses/Certifications/Degrees Food Service Sanitation Certificate is beneficial but not required.
Hiring Rate/Range $16.27 per hour
Work Hours Working hours and days off will be subject to bid
Proposed Starting Date:
Posting date 04-15-2019
Closing date 04-17-2019
Special Instructions to Applicants All application materials must be submitted online. Application materials submitted via fax, e-mail or mail will not be accepted. Please fully complete the entire application including, but not limited to, the education and work experience portions. Please list all education and all jobs you have had. You must list all duties you performed in the job duties section (Phrases such as "See Resume" are not acceptable). Failure to follow any of these instructions may constitute an incomplete application. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
A final candidate must complete a post-offer pre-employment physical exam. Employment is contingent on the successful result of the pre-employment physical.
Please prepare in advance at least 3 professional references with phone numbers.
A Civil Service examination will be required. You will be notified by e-mail if you meet the qualifications for the examination. Please monitor your e-mail for changes to your application status.
You may print a copy of your application or resume and bring it to the examination with you as a reference. In order to receive the maximum eligible points for the civil service exam, you may upload a food service certificate under the optional documents, if applicable. If applicable, DD214 may be sent to Jill Smith by fax to 309-438-0011, or sent to Human Resources, Campus Box 1300 Normal, IL 61790-1300.
Working hours and days off will be subject to bid.
This position is represented by AFSCME Local 1110.
This is a full-time position on an academic calendar. It will be subject to academic break lay-off (such as spring break, summer break).
Illinois State University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer.
If you are an individual with a disability and need a reasonable accommodation under the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) or other state or federal law you may request an accommodation by contacting the Office of Equal Opportunity and Access at 309-438-3383.
If you are having difficulty accessing the system, please call Human Resources at (309) 438-8311.
Contact Information Jill Smith
Departmental Homepage www.emdh.ilstu.edu
Required Applicant Documents PLEASE NOTE: These documents are required to be submitted online in order to complete the application process. Please have these documents ready prior to clicking on "Apply For This Posting". Reference List
Optional Applicant Documents Certification of Retirement Annuity (required for SURS annuitants only)
Civil Service Test 0024-Food Service Sanitation Laborer
Physical Requirements: Must be able to complete the following with or without a reasonable accommodation:
Ability to stand for extended periods of time without a significant rest period; This position requires standing, walking, use of fingers and hands, reaching, lifting, kneeling, stooping, crouching, and seeing; ability to frequently lift up to 50 lbs.