Vice President, Research
Vice President, Research
Div of Rsrch & Innov-Gen - 390020
UNTHSC is one of the nation's distinguished graduate academic health science centers, dedicated to education, research, clinical care and community engagement. In the heart of Fort Worth's Cultural District on a 33-acre campus, the UNTHSC is located immediately adjacent to several museums (Amon Carter Museum of American Art, Kimbell Art Museum, Fort Worth Museum of Science and History, Modern Art Museum of Fort Worth, National Cowgirl Museum, and others) and the Will Rogers Coliseum. The UNTHSC campus consists of 1.4 million square feet of facilities housing lecture halls, training rooms, patient care facilities and research labs. UNTHSC is composed of: Texas College of Osteopathic Medicine, Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences, School of Health Professions, School of Public Health, College of Pharmacy, Health Institutes - multi-disciplinary research Centers and Institutes, UNT Health, a faculty group practice. UNTHSC has partnered with Texas Christian University to create a joint MD medical school. The inaugural class of 60 students is expected to matriculate in Fall of 2019.
The UNTHSC is governed by the University of North Texas (UNT) System Board of Regents, and is a state-supported institution. Other system institutions include UNT-Denton, and UNT-Dallas. The UNTHSC is accredited by the Commission on Colleges of the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools. Each school or program also has professional accreditations.
UNTHSC has put into words and action the values that define how its team acts and works together to reach its goals. These Values are:
SERVE OTHERS FIRST - Encourage growth, well-being and success of each other and people we serve.
INTEGRITY - Uphold the highest ethical standards.
RESPECT - Treat everyone with dignity and compassion.
COLLABORATION - Work together to achieve shared goals.
BE VISIONARY - Create innovative solutions in the pursuit of excellence.
Our purpose: Transform lives in order to improve the lives of others
Our mission: Create solutions for a healthier community, and
Our vision: One university, built on values, defining and producing the providers* of the future.
The Vice President for Research serves as the chief research officer and provides executive and administrative leadership over all areas related to research which includes Research Compliance, Grant and Contract Management, Research Development & Commercialization and Lab Animal Medicine. The Vice President for Research reports directly to the President.
Responsibilities of the position include but are not limited to:
* Develop and implement an institutional research strategic plan for the institution that includes priorities, goals, tactical initiatives, and performance measures, and is supported by the allocation of resources.
* Provide recommendations and execute decisions on priorities, opportunities, strategies and utilization of resources to support expansion of institutional research.
* Responsible for guiding and monitoring the development of research programs and works closely faculty, other administrative offices, external philanthropic and sponging agencies.
*Continuous oversight, development, and implementation of all research policies, procedures and compliance.
* Clarifies and updates the policies and procedures, monitors the implementation and evaluates their efficacy.
* Responds to all policies of the UNTHSC in light of their potential impact on research.
* Provides comprehensive reports and all official data on all activities relating to research and development to outside agencies and for in-house use by the UNTHSC.
* Assures compliance in all areas of research. This includes the use of human subjects (IRB), laboratory animals (IACUC), and issues of research integrity and conflicts of interest.
* Represent the research programs of the institution to the public, life science businesses, civic leaders, donors, and to agencies sponsoring research, government agencies and institutions partnered with UNTHSC for research and development.
* Assist in the development and oversight of all inter-institutional collaborative research efforts between the UNTHSC and other entities including other academic institutions, hospitals, research institutes, companies, and foundations.
* Oversees all operational research activities.
* Oversees all aspects of grant and contracts including pre-award, post-award, grant accounting, and research compliance in support of basic, clinical, and translational research, as well as public health, clinical trials, and outcomes and educational research.
* Oversees all activities relating to intellectual property including validating and protecting discoveries and technology transfer issues relating to licensing and partnerships for developing and commercializing discoveries.
The University of North Texas System and its component institutions are committed to equal opportunity and comply with all applicable federal and state laws regarding nondiscrimination and affirmative action. The University of North Texas System and its component institutions do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, religion, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, or veteran status in its application and admission processes, educational programs and activities, and employment practices.
The successful candidate will possess the following required qualifications:
* Terminal degree (M.D., D.O., Ph.D.) in a related field and ten (10) years of progressive research administrative management experience.
The preferred candidate will possess the following additional qualifications:
* Progressive responsibilities in a comprehensive research program, preferably in an academic medical center or health science center setting, and an understanding of the complexities and operational processes associated with a large and complex research portfolio.
Experience in leading and developing areas related to clinical, basic, social science and transnational research.
* National recognition as evidenced by involvement in academic societies at national level.
* Possesses a record of vision execution and leadership around institutional strategic planning for research activities.
Special Instructions to Applicants
**If you are interested in this position please go to [email protected] to apply**
Wheless Partners Executive Search and Leadership Consultants are conducting this search. Their contact information is below:
2100B SouthBridge Parkway
Birmingham, AL 25209
Phone number- 205-871-1550
Salary Commensurate with Experience
Monday - Friday
Application Types Accepted
Occupational Exposure to HIV/HBV?
Occupational Exposure to Hazardous Chemicals?
Occupational Exposure to Tuberculosis?
Require a valid Texas Driver's License?
Require a certification?
Official Job Title
Vice President, Research
Job Open Date
Job Close Date
Open Until Filled