System Identification Number:
College of Visual Arts and Design http://art.unt.edu
Job Summary/Basic Function:
Serving as the gateway first-year experience to all incoming students the Foundations courses are the core for all undergraduate degree programs in the College of Visual Art and Design. This new position will work with peers to:
- Teach diverse media at the Foundations level with a goal of providing core experiences with: the creative process; the transferability of skill, and; conceptual thinking across art and design disciplines.
- Teach students written and verbal communication skills to articulate process, research, references, and outcomes using art and design terminology; engage in peer and self-critique in their studio and during presentations.
- Expose students to the various technologies used in the different programs within the college. Introduce the integration of hand skills into the design process as an end or a precursor to using digital methods of design.
- Help students to achieve broader connections with other disciplines.
- Provide professional practice experiences that support success throughout the degree program and beyond.
- Mentor Graduate Teaching Assistants.
- Collaborate with the Foundations Director to facilitate and assess the broader success of student learning.
- The faculty member's home department within the college (Art Education & Art History, Design, or Studio Art) will be dependent upon terminal degree received and professional experience upon hire.
The University of North Texas System and its component institutions are committed to equal opportunity and comply with all applicable federal and state laws regarding nondiscrimination and affirmative action. The University of North Texas System and its component institutions do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, religion, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, or veteran status in its application and admission processes, educational programs and activities, and employment practices.
M.F.A. in Studio Art or Design or PhD in Art Education or equivalent terminal degree in a closely related field. Two years full-time college-level teaching experience as the instructor of record.
Full-time experience supervising graduate teaching assistants. Industry and/or teaching experience in multiple media areas (drawing/2D/3D/time-based/lens-based).
Non-Tenured Appointment Term:
Open Until Search Closed
Review of Applications Begins:
Required Applicant Documents:
List of Names and Contact Information of Three References
Statement of Teaching Philosophy
Special Instructions to Applicants:
1. Applicants are required to submit a cover letter, statement of teaching philosophy, resume and contact information for three references at http://facultyjobs.unt.edu
2. Applicants will also need to submit examples of their professional work (15-20) and student work (15-20 work) through unt.slideroom.com. Note: if submitting time-based work, please edit to a maximum 5 minutes or provide a link to an external hosting site.