Executive Director of Development - College of Arts & Sciences
Posting DetailsPosition Information Position Number 000684 Functional Title Executive Director of Development - College of Arts & Sciences Position Type Administration - Staff Position Eclass E2 - SAAO II 12 Month Leave Earning University Information
UNC Greensboro, located in the Piedmont Triad region of North Carolina, is a higher-research activity university as classified by the Carnegie Foundation. Founded in 1891 and one of the original three UNC system institutions, UNCG is one of the most diverse universities in the state with nearly 20,000 students and over 2,700 faculty and staff members representing more than 90 nationalities. With 17 Division I athletic teams, 85 undergraduate degrees in over 100 areas of study, as well as 74 master’s and 32 doctoral programs, UNCG is consistently recognized nationally among the top universities for academic excellence and value, with noted strengths in health and wellness, visual and performing arts, nursing, education, and more. For additional information, please visit uncg.edu and follow UNCG on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.Primary Purpose of the Organizational Unit
The Division of University Advancement builds and nurtures relationships with loyalty and integrity to promote UNCG’s mission, foster communication and secure philanthropic support. for programming and facility excellence and opportunity for our students. Gift officers secure philanthropic support from business leaders, alumni, and friends of the University and utilize this support to create an inclusive, collaborative, and responsive environment. Through a variety of project opportunities, gift officers work with donor prospects to establish an understanding of the profound difference that can be made in the lives of students and the measure of academic excellence that can be achieved through the support of priority educational entities that the University offers to the communities served. The division includes Advancement Communications, Advancement Operations, Alumni Engagement, Annual Giving, Development, Donor Relations, Event Planning, Gift Planning, Prospect Management & Research, and the Vice Chancellor’s office.Position Summary
The Executive Director of Development for the College of Arts & Sciences at UNC Greensboro oversees and manages all aspects of the College’s development program. The candidate must be able to think strategically and practically to implement a comprehensive and results-oriented development plan that includes goals and strategies for major, planned and annual gifts. This position will also build and foster key relationships for the College of Arts & Sciences and University with alumni, friends, community and business leaders, and faculty.
This position has a dual reporting role to the Dean of the College of Arts & Sciences and the Associate Vice Chancellor of University Advancement.
Master’s Degree; or Bachelor’s Degree with substantially equivalent experience would be considered
Minimum of 7-10 years of experience in fundraising (preferably in public higher education) with additional experience in supervision of others
Strong organizational skills
Ability to relate to diverse constituencies including identifying, recruiting, training and recognizing volunteers
Willingness to work flexible hours, including evenings and weekends
Willingness and ability to travel
Strong verbal and written communication skills
Ability to utilize technological resources available to the development staff
Experience in supervising others
Applicants are required to upload the following documents with their electronic application:
- Cover Letter
- List of References
Applicants are required to upload a list of references of at least three (3) professional references that includes:
- Company Name
- Type of reference (Professional, Supervisor, Colleague, Academic or Personal). One (1) of those references will need to be a current or previous supervisor.
- Email Address
- Contact Phone Number
Applications are not successfully submitted until an online confirmation number has been received at the end of the application process.Recruitment Range Commensurate with education and experience. Org #-Department Development - 33801 Job Open Date 04/10/2019 For Best Consideration Date Job Close Date Open Until Filled Yes FTE 1.000 Type of Appointment Permanent If time-limited, please specify end date for appointment. Number of Months per Year 12 FLSA Exempt Key Responsibilities Key Responsibilities Percentage Of Time 75% Key Responsibility
Gift Cultivation and SolicitationEssential Tasks
1. Identify, cultivate, solicit and steward individuals believed to have potential to make major gifts to the College of Arts & Sciences and other University interests as appropriate
2. Create strategic fundraising and campaign plan for the College in conjunctions with University Advancement and the Dean based on objectives and priorities in consultation with the Dean, the Associate Vice Chancellor and other development and College of Arts & Sciences staff
3. Sustain level of major gift activity commensurate with performance expectations and prepare detailed and timely contact reports of all visits
4. Effectively engage the Dean and other faculty and staff in the fundraising process
5. Engage and utilize volunteers to execute the fundraising plan and help the Dean recruit potential volunteers for the Advancement Council and other advisory boards
1. Serve as primary representative of the College of Arts & Sciences to University Advancement and in university-level planning and execution of fundraising strategy.
2. Manage and mentor one Director of Development, one Associate Director of Development and one administrative assistant in the College of Arts & Sciences
3. In conjunction with the Dean and Associate Vice Chancellor for University Advancement, organize the College of Arts & Sciences campaign advisory board and serve as the primary facilitator of its efforts
R for Rare (0-30%), O for Occasional (30-60%), F for Frequent (60-90%), C for Constant (90-100%).Physical Effort Reading - F, Writing - F, Vision-Preparing/Analyzing figures - F, Hearing - F, Talking - F, Standing - F, Sitting - F, Walking - F, Lifting-0-30 lbs. - R, Climbing-Stairs - O Work Environment Driving - Car/Truck - O, Inside - F, Outside - O Applicant Documents Required Documents
- Cover Letter
- List of References
- Writing Sample(s)
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Please indicate how you learned of this vacant position for which you are applying:
- NCAA Arts
- Arts Council of the African Studies Association
- Professional Job Board
- Social Media
- UNCGjobsearch website
- If you selected "Other", please provide the name of the resource here.
(Open Ended Question)
- * Are you eligible to work in the United States without sponsorship?