Coordinator for Undergraduate and Graduate Student Engagement and Support
Carnegie Mellon University is a highly selective global research university with more than 13,900 students and nearly 6,000 faculty and staff. Recognized for its exceptional arts and technology programs, we collaborate across disciplines and empower creative leadership in the fields of Business Administration, Computer Science, Engineering, Fine Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences, Public Policy & Information Systems, and Science. Carnegie Mellon is consistently ranked among the top 25 universities in the United States.
The Center for Student Diversity and Inclusion (“The Center”) is a collaborative unit with dual reporting lines to Division of Student Affairs and the Vice Provost for Education and affects the student experience by cultivating cultural engagement, fostering a sense of belonging, and challenging systems of inequality. The Center supports the success of historically underrepresented student populations through developing community, active mentorship, and personal empowerment while collaborating with students, staff, faculty, and alumni to develop creative programs designed to increase and advance individual and collective intercultural competency development.
We are seeking a Coordinator for Undergraduate Student Engagement and Support and a Coordinator for Graduate Student Engagement and Support to focus on cultivating an environment where students with minoritized or underrepresented identities can thrive. You will work to achieve this by supporting campus recruitment, providing opportunities for exploration of identity, developing affinity group programming, and by building individual capacity through leadership opportunities and alumni connection.
Core responsibilities will include:
- Individual student mentoring and coaching;
- Program and event planning to support the student experience;
- Affinity-based programming and advancement of LGBTQ+ initiatives that impact undergraduate students;
- Support recruitment efforts of underrepresented students;
- Contribute to the general functions of the Center via routine staff meetings, participation in campus events and signature Center programs;
- Assist with Center response and student support during critical incident moments on campus or in broader global community; and
- Help with business continuity planning and crisis management.
Inclusion, collaboration and cultural sensitivity are valued competencies at CMU. Therefore, we are in search of a team member who is able to effectively interact with a varied population of internal and external partners at a high level of integrity. We are looking for someone who shares our values and who will support the mission of the university through their work.
You should demonstrate:
- A creative passion advancing inclusion and equity initiatives;
- Ability in advising and supporting students who come from underrepresented ethnic and racial groups and LGBTQIA social identities;
- Strong understanding of contemporary diversity, equity, inclusion, multiculturalism concepts and issues, especially as they apply to climate and the student experience in higher education;
- A successful track record of leading projects in a multi-stakeholder environment as an innovative and inspirational change agent;
- Advanced interpersonal and intercultural communication skills;
- Capability to facilitate presentations and address large campus and community audiences; and
- Ability to cultivate partnerships to provide student support.
- Master’s degree required; formal training in inter-group dialogue facilitation preferred.
- Minimum one year of experience working professionally in higher education in a role related to advancing diversity and inclusion initiatives required; three years of progressive leadership experience preferred.
- Experience mentoring, advising, and/or coaching students for academic success and career readiness highly desired.
- Experience related to planning, programming, access/recruitment, and community development highly desired.
Coordinator for Undergraduate Student Engagement and Support - https://cmu.taleo.net/careersection/2/jobdetail.ftl?job=2012091
Coordinator for Graduate Student Engagement and Support