Cell and Molecular Biology Intern
GENERAL SUMMARY OF POSITION:
In this role, you will be assisting the Product Discovery group in our goal of discovering new antibodies for the treatment of human disease by performing general lab maintenance and upkeep. Additionally, you will assist our Cell Culture group in developing suspension CHO cells lines that are optimal for generating stable antibody producing cells.Responsibilities
- Conduct a wide range of molecular and biochemistry experiments using techniques such as polymerase chain reaction, gel electrophoresis, DNA extraction, restriction enzyme digestion, transformation, plasmid isolation, ELISA, and western blot
- Build and annotate DNA sequence maps using analysis tools
- Assist in creating, culturing, and maintaining transgenic cell lines for recombinant protein production
- Utilize various protein purification techniques to purify antibodies and recombinant proteins
- Assist with preparation of various buffers and cell media.
- Maintain and passage cells lines using proper aseptic technique.
- Conduct regular laboratory housekeeping duties such as autoclaving glassware, cleaning hoods and incubators, and maintaining inventory of laboratory supplies.
Depending on project direction, you may obtain hands on training with the following mammalian cell culture or molecular biology techniques that are widely used in biopharmaceutical industry:
- Cell count and viability determination
- Antibody concentration determination
- Cell-based assay
- Training with various analytical equipment
- Bachelor’s degree in progress or Technical Training certificate or Associate’s degree in Biology, Biotechnology, or related discipline.
- Hands on experience in a biology or chemistry laboratory. Ability to perform aseptic technique and calculate molar solutions, use a micropipette, and followed detailed experimental protocols.
- Ability to be responsible for conducting routine laboratory tasks that are critical to successful department operation.
- Excellent written documentation and organizational skills. Ability to follow oral and written procedures precisely.
- Must be able to perform essential functions of the position, with reasonable accommodation if disabled
*Resident of one of the following zip codes are preferred: 02118, 02119, 02120, 02121, 02122, 02124, 02125, 02130, 02126, 02131, 02136, 02137(These zip codes cover Dorchester, Roxbury, Jamaica Plain, Hyde Park, Roslindale, and Mattapan, MA)