Custodian I - Part-Time - 3rd Shift
Custodian I - Part-Time - 3rd Shift
Job no: 492626
Position Type: Part-Time
Location: Elgin, IL
Experience Level: Entry-Level
Categories: Building & Grounds Cleaning and Maintenance
Role: Custodian I
About ECC:Elgin Community College serves over 9,000 students at every stage of their educational journeys, including university transfer programs, career and technical education, continuing education classes, and adult basic education. As a community, we pride ourselves on nurturing a welcoming campus where every person—students, staff members, faculty members, and campus visitors—feels valued. The work of each ECC employee is central to the college’s mission, and as an employer, the college fosters a positive environment through professional challenges, excellent benefits, and opportunities for recognition and camaraderie.
Work Schedule:Monday thru Friday 11 pm to 4 am and some weekends
Rate of Pay:$10.82
Perform general custodial duties and setups. Assist with projects such as cleaning of new construction and remodeling jobs.
Required Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- One year previous custodial experience.
- Ability to read and comprehend documents such as safety rules, safety data sheets, operating and maintenance instructions and manuals.
- A valid driver’s license.
Desired Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Perform custodial tasks in various areas of campus buildings. Sweep, mop, rinse, strip and wax floors; maintain restrooms; empty trash; vacuum carpets and clean windows.
- Operate mechanical custodial equipment such as sweepers, floor scrubbers, buffers, shampooers, moving equipment, snow blowers, etc.
- Clean light fixtures and lenses when necessary.
- Assist grounds department with snow removal of walks and building entrances and discard miscellaneous waste around exterior of buildings and courtyards.
- Assist facility events with custodial coverage as needed.
- Assist in special cleaning and moving projects due to building renovations and new construction.
- Clean biohazard waste, when necessary, utilizing proper sanitary and health safety precautions and procedures.
- Lock and unlock buildings and classrooms per college’s schedule of events.
- May require performance working a variety of shifts, including evenings and weekends.
- Performs other duties as assigned which pertain to the job description.
Medium (up to 50 lbs. occasionally or 30 lbs frequently or 10 lbs constantly)
Typical office or administrative
Wet or Humid conditions (non-weather related)
Extreme cold (below 32 degrees for more than one hour)
Extreme heat (above 100 degrees for more than one hour)
Fumes or airborne particles
Current SSECCA Union Member Information:
Elgin Community College Support Staff of Elgin Community College Association (SSECCA) members that apply by 04/19/2019 and meet the posted minimum qualifications will receive full consideration.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement:
Elgin Community College does not discriminate, or tolerate discrimination, against any member of its community on the basis of race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex/gender/gender identity, age, religion, disability, pregnancy, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation, or any other status protected by applicable federal, state or local law in matters of admissions, employment, or in any aspect of the educational programs or activities it offers.
In addition, Elgin Community College provides reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities to ensure equal access and equal opportunities with regard to employment practices, educational opportunities, and programs and services. If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application and hiring process, please notify the College’s EEO/AA Officer. Determinations on request for a reasonable accommodation will be made on a case-by-case basis.
Advertised: August 7, 2019 Central Daylight Time