Postdoctoral Research Associate
Posting DetailsPosition Information Job TitlePostdoctoral Research AssociateDepartmentBioengineeringFull Time/Part TimeFull-TimeRequisition NumberP19081Open Date04/10/2019Close DateBenefits EligibleYesPosition Summary
A postdoctoral associate position in mammalian synthetic biology is available in the Department of Bioengineering at Rice University. We are looking for a creative, highly motivated postdoctoral researcher interested in doing path-breaking research in the area of synthetic regulatory network engineering. Potential project spaces include:
- Design and testing of synthetic mammalian signaling and transcriptional circuitry for use in cell-based therapeutics
- Using synthetic circuitry to rewire immune cell function for therapeutic drug delivery
- Using synthetic circuitry to guide stem cell reprogramming and differentiation
The lab (http://bioengineering.rice.edu/Caleb_Bashor.aspx) is located in the BRC building, situated between Rice University campus and Texas Medical Center, which offers state-of-the art facilities and excellent working conditions amidst a vibrant biomedical research community. Rice has an active postdoctoral training community (https://graduate.rice.edu/postdocs) and features a broad, world-class synthetic biology research community.
Consistent with the National Research Council’s report, Convergence: Facilitating Transdisciplinary Integration of Life Sciences, Physical Sciences, Engineering, and Beyond, we are seeking candidates who have demonstrated ability to lead and work in research groups that “… [integrate] the knowledge, tools, and ways of thinking…” from engineering, mathematics, and computational, natural, social and behavioral sciences to solve societal problems using a convergent approach.Education RequiredPhD or other Doctoral DegreeMajor/Discipline
Bioengineering, biochemistry, biophysics, cell biology, or applied physics.Education PreferredExperience RequiredNo experience requiredType of ExperienceExperience PreferredSkills Required
Mammalian tissue culture, molecular biology, cloning.Skills Preferred
Flow cytometry, fluorescence microscopy, programming matlab.Physical Demands
Sitting, standing, bending, kneeling.Working Conditions
Laboratory and office environments.Security SensitiveYes Special Instructions to Applicants
- Please provide the name and email of 3 references under the References/Recommendation Request document.
- Cover Letter: Summarize scientific interests and motivation, career goals, research experience, and interests in synthetic biology.
Rice University is a private, comprehensive research university located in the heart of Houston’s dynamic Museum District and adjacent to the Texas Medical Center. It offers undergraduate and graduate degrees across eight schools and has a student body of approximately 7,000 undergraduate and graduate students. Rice consistently ranks among the top 20 national universities and the top 10 in undergraduate teaching (US News & World Report); its endowment ranks among the top 20 of US universities.
The George R. Brown School of Engineering ranks among the top 20 of undergraduate engineering programs and is strongly committed to nurturing the aspirations of faculty, staff and students in an inclusive environment.
Rice University is an Equal Opportunity Employer with a commitment to diversity at all levels and considers for employment qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national or ethnic origin, genetic information, disability, or protected veteran status.
- Plan and execute original research projectsPercentage of Time90 Job Duties Job Duty NameDescription of Job Duty
- Write papers and present data at conferencesPercentage of Time10Applicant DocumentsRequired Documents
- Cover Letter
- Curriculum Vitae
- References/Recommendation Request
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Do you have a PhD or other doctoral degree in bioengineering, biochemistry, biophysics, cell biology, or applied physics?