Lab Manager, Curry School of Education
Job location: Charlottesville, VA
Employment Type: Part-time
Posted data: 2019-04-10
The Curry School of Education at the University of Virginia is seeking applicant for a new part-time position of Lab Manager with the Make to Learn Lab. The Lab Manager serves as a point of contact for collaboration with external partners and coordinates projects. This position is responsible for managing fabrication tools that include 3D printers, laser cutters, a digital milling machine, and other maker technologies. This position works with faculty, staff, students and the lab directors to implement maker projects in the school of education, and disseminate products to partner schools/teachers.
Our shared vision is to foster innovative approaches to authentic educational challenges and prepare graduates who can tackle real-world problems in various learning contexts. Many Curry graduates will likely encounter makerspaces and fabrication systems in work settings, especially as schools continue to transition libraries into makerspaces. We aim to create the space, resources, and programming for both preservice and in-service teachers in all domains to be able to augment and transform their practice.
This is a 30 hour a week restricted position, grant supported, beginning May 1, 2019 and ending December 31, 2021. Continuation is dependent on funding and satisfactory performance. This position has the possibility to become full time at 40 hours a week, dependent on future grant support.
- Bachelor’s Degree with at least 3 years of relevant experience. Experience gained as a student will be considered.
- Knowledge of 3D printing, poster printing, and laser cutters
- Knowledge of general lab procedures, basic safety precautions, and lab equipment with the ability to analyze, present information, and provide advice.
- Excellent oral and written communication that will aid them in clearly articulating specific information in areas of expertise.
- The ability to lead and train staff, faculty, and students on lab equipment.
- Experience with computer design (e.g., Adobe Illustrator, Autodesk Fusion 360, or equivalent).
- Experience with digital fabrication (e.g., Lader Cutter, 3D Printer, and CNC Router)
PROCESS FOR INTERNAL UVA APPLICANTS: Please apply through your Workday Home page, search “Find Jobs”, and search for 'Lab Manager'. Complete an application online and attach a cover letter, resume, and contact information for three references (name, email address, telephone number, address).
PROCESS FOR EXTERNAL UVA APPLICANTS: Please visit UVA job board Workday, complete an application online and attach a cover letter, resume, and contact information for three references (name, email address, telephone number, address).The University of Virginia, including the UVA Health System and the University Physician’s Group are fundamentally committed to the diversity of our faculty and staff. We believe diversity is excellence expressing itself through every person's perspectives and lived experiences. We are equal opportunity and affirmative action employers. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, color, disability, gender identity, marital status, national or ethnic origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, veteran status, and family medical or genetic information.