Jewish Life Coordinator
Job Title: Jewish Life Coordinator
Location: Spirtualty, Srvc & Soc Justce
Full/Part Time: Part-Time
Job ID: 4716
Staff Posting Details
The University of Puget Sound invites applications for a Jewish Life Coordinator
The Jewish Life Coordinator will report to and work collaboratively with the University Chaplain to provide religious, spiritual, cultural, and social support for Jewish members of the campus community. An important part of the position is serving as a supportive advisor to the Jewish Student Union. The Coordinator will also help advise the university regarding best practices for facilitating the full inclusion of Jewish members of the campus community. This will include developing resources and opportunities for the campus that help to deepen cultural awareness about Judaism.
Appointment: This position is approxiately 19 hours per week, 40 weeks per year. The annual start date is August 1. Specific details about timing will be negotiated with supervisor.
Essential Job Functions and Responsibilities:
- Meet regularly with student and faculty leaders in the campus Jewish community
- Provide both logistical and cultural support for major events related to Jewish Life programs at Puget Sound
- Work with student and staff leaders to bridge institutional Jewish Life efforts with student clubs and organizations related to Judaism
- Support and develop resources for Jewish students at Puget Sound to participate in major Jewish cultural/religious observances during the academic year
- Provide personal support and counsel to Jewish students
- Coordinate outreach and welcome to new Jewish students and their families
- Coordinate campus connections with external Jewish communities and organizations, including at other colleges
- Support and advise student leaders in providing events and programs to educate the campus community about Judaism
- Support and advise student leaders in offering ongoing religious/cultural education for Jewish students at Puget Sound
- Assist the University Chaplain in supporting religious, spiritual, and cultural diversity and inclusion at Puget Sound
- Consult with students, faculty, and staff on issues related to Jewish life at Puget Sound
- Occasional involvement in interfaith and multi-faith campus religious life functions or events
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent salient experience
- Proficiency in understanding, respecting, and navigating pan-Jewish identities
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Willingness to variously lead, support, and/or advise programs and activates related to Jewish Life
- Experience in providing personal support and development for college-aged Jewish students preferred
- Experience working with a residential liberal arts setting preferred
- Experience working in a multi-faith or multi-cultural context strongly preferred
- Ability to respectfully work, communicate, and provide leadership within a diverse campus community
Compensation and Benefits: Decisions about starting salaries are made based on the extent and relatedness of the candidate's education and experience and on internal equity and market considerations.
This position is non-exempt from the provisions of the Fair Labor Standards Act.
This position is not eligible for benefits.
Application Deadline: Search and selection procedures will be closed when a sufficient number of qualified candidates have been identified.
- Letter of Interest
All offers of employment are contingent on successful completion of a background inquiry and if applicable for the position, drug screen, physical test and functional assessment.
- We acknowledge the richness of commonalities and differences we share as a university community; the intrinsic worth of all who work and study here; that education is enhanced by investigation of and reflection upon multiple perspectives.
- We aspire to create respect for and appreciation of all persons as a key characteristic of our campus community; to increase the diversity of all parts of our University community through commitment to diversity in our recruitment and retention efforts; to foster a spirit of openness to active engagement among all members of our campus community.
- We act to achieve an environment that welcomes and supports diversity; to ensure full educational opportunity for all who teach and learn here; to prepare effectively citizen-leaders for a pluralistic world.
Puget Sound is committed to an environment that welcomes and supports diversity. We seek diversity of identity, thought, perspective, and background in our students, faculty, and staff. To learn more please visit: http://www.pugetsound.edu/about/diversity-at-puget-sound/
The University of Puget Sound is an equal opportunity employer.
var RichTextValue = PTRTEFillcache('https://www2.pugetsound.jobs/psp/HRPRD_newwin/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_APP_SCHJOB.GBL','PT_RTE_IMG_DB_LOC','record://PTRTDB','HRS_SCH_PSTDSC_DESCRLONG$0','1');var TextAreaObject = document.getElementById('HRS_SCH_PSTDSC_DESCRLONG$0');TextAreaObject.innerHTML = RichTextValue;