STARTALK: Chinese Language Instructor(Multiple Vacancies)
Category:: Research Foundation
Department:: Research Foundation for SUNY
Locations:: Oswego, NY
Posted:: Apr 10, 2019
Closes:: Open Until Filled
Type:: Part-time Temporary
About SUNY Oswego:
The Research Foundation at SUNY Oswego is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer and is actively engaged in recruiting, supporting, and fostering a diverse community of outstanding faculty, staff and students. We encourage applications from qualified applicants regardless of race, color, national origin, religion, creed, age, disability, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, familial status, pregnancy, predisposing genetic characteristics, military status, domestic violence victim status, or criminal conviction.
Requests for reasonable accommodations of a disability during the application and/or interview process should be made to
Dr. Minge-te Pan
Email: [email protected]
Pursuant to Executive Order 161, no State entity, as defined by the Executive Order, is permitted to ask, or mandate, in any form, that an applicant for employment provide his or her current compensation, or any prior compensation history, until such time as the applicant is extended a conditional offer of employment with compensation. If such information has been requested from you before such time, please contact the Governor's Office of Employee Relations at (518) 474-6988 or via email at [email protected]
The Research Foundation for SUNY at the State University of New York at Oswego invites applications for the position of temporary instructor of Mandarin Chinese to teach an introductory/intermediate-level course (July 1, 2019 to July 20, 2019). Multiple vacancies available. While this position is affiliated with the campus of SUNY Oswego this is a Research Foundation position, NOT a New York State position.
Position Title: Chinese Language Instructor
Posting Date: April 10, 2019
Review Date: Review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until all positions are filled.
Salary: Commensurate with qualifications and experience
Date of Appointment: Pending funding availability
The Mandarin Chinese Instructor will teach an introductory/intermediate-level course (July 1, 2019 to July 20, 2019) to students in grades 2 to 12 with or without a Chinese background. The Mandarin Chinese Instructor will also:
- Develop curriculum that meets STARTALK endorsed principles
- Implement a standards-based and thematically organized curriculum
- Develop lesson plans that support learning needs of each student
- Facilitate a learner-centered class in Mandarin with sufficient support for language development
- Use age-appropriate authentic materials to integrate culture, content, and language
- Conduct performance-based assessment
- Keep appropriate records and communicate with parents/ guardians on students' progress
- Perform reasonable non-teaching duties as assigned
The Chinese Language Instructor will be expected to display a commitment to immersion language education (https://www.oswego.edu/startalk) and possess communication and interpersonal skills sufficient to work effectively with a diverse student body, parents/guardians, teachers, staff, and program specialists.
- Some college level education in Education or related field
- Some teaching experience with school age students
- Native or near native Mandarin Chinese fluency
- Comply with the curriculum principles and training provided
- Effective written, oral, and interpersonal communication skills in English
- Understanding of the needs of students, including those from high-risk backgrounds
- Bachelor's Degree or higher in Education or a related field
- Knowledge and skills in Chinese martial arts, folk arts, ethnic dance, sports, cooking, etc.
- Previous experience and knowledge of STARTALK program
The Chinese Language Instructor must attend a free Child Protection Training and Pre-Program Workshops in June. These workshops are required for employment.
Official transcripts are required prior to hiring. Files must be completed to be considered.
Visa sponsorship not available for this position. Applicants must be eligible for employment in the US in accordance with the Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1966.
Submit a letter of application addressing qualifications, copy of unofficial transcripts, resume, and contact information for three professional references electronically by clicking on the APPLY NOW button.
You may add additional files/documents after uploading your resume. After you fill out your contact information, you will be directed to the upload page. Please click here to login to check/edit your profile or to upload additional documents.
Please click CONTACT US if you need assistance applying through this website.