Executive Director of the Center for Global Education
Executive Director of the Center for Global EducationApril 09, 2019Description
Earlham College is seeking qualified candidates to serve as the Executive Director of the Center for Global Education. This is a full-time, 12-month administrative faculty appointment. Salary is commensurate with experience, and includes a benefits package.
The Center for Global Education at Earlham is a strategically significant academic and co-curricular center for the College combining high-impact work in off-campus study, internships, and advising (for both international students and all students in their EPIC program). The College is seeking a senior, visionary, and effective administrative leader with more than a decade of experience in higher education who can capably lead this vital area while working collaboratively with teaching faculty and other units of the College.
The Center is a core component of the College’s innovative EPIC initiative, which aims to integrate high-impact experiential learning into every student’s liberal arts academic experience over four years. The “EPIC Advantage” program is administered through the Center and funds every student at the College to have at least one research, internship, or project-based experience in their four years.
The successful candidate will have significant experience in higher education administration, preferably within a small, liberal arts context, in addition to a strong and developed understanding of experiential learning in higher education. A demonstrated track record of success in integrating these high impact practices into the curriculum, working effectively alongside teaching faculty, and shaping programmatic outcomes to institutional strategic goals is essential. The Center for Global Education at Earlham is strongly supported by faculty as a central component of the liberal arts experience.
The Executive Director will focus on all aspects of leading a strongly integrated and strategically effective Center. Major areas of oversight include off-campus study (both semester long programs and short-term), the EPIC Advantage program, international student advising, internships, and career/EPIC advising.Primary Duties & Responsibilities
- Responsible for the strategic direction, vision and mission of the Center at Earlham with a particular attention to the articulation and promotion of the possibilities and opportunities of a liberal arts education.
- Direct supervision of the Center faculty responsible for off-campus study, summer internships, international student advising and EPIC/career advising.
- Supervision and oversight of the Japan Study Program in Tokyo and management of the Border Studies Program in Tucson, Arizona, and the associated faculty in those programs.
- Risk management for off-campus study programs.
- Collaboration with other teaching faculty associated with the EPIC initiative including the Directors of the EPIC CoLab Centers (Global Health, Entrepreneurship and Innovation, and Social Justice).
- Outreach and collaboration with partnering academic departments and programs to integrate off-campus study, internships, and EPIC advising into existing curricula.
- Active involvement in representing the College and the Center at admissions and alumni gatherings, professional associations, conferences and associated events.
- Supervision and oversight of budgeting and accounting for all areas within the Center.
- Collaboration with the Great Lakes Colleges Association (GLCA).
- Participation in administrative leadership, including projects designated by the Academic Dean, and service on college committees.
- 5-10 years working in higher education administration in the field of international education; a Ph.D. is strongly preferred.
- Clear understanding of and affinity for the purposes and values of a private residential liberal arts college and of Earlham’s mission and distinctive characteristics.
- Experience outside the United States, experience with a second language, and respect for diverse student populations as well as strong aptitudes with cross-cultural communication and issues of diversity and inclusion in higher education.
- Experience and demonstrated ability in personnel management including hiring, supervision, staff training and team development.
- Background in program management and administration.
- Demonstrated interpersonal relationship-building skills and experience working with a wide range of constituents.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, particularly in translating the value of the liberal arts into graduate outcomes.
- Knowledge of professional standards and best practices for international education.
- Experience with risk management.
- Willingness to consult widely and collaborate effectively with many stakeholders.
- Ability to adapt to constant change and flourish in a diverse community.
- Experience managing budgets encompassing multiple projects and accounts.
- Experience in significant program creation, planning and implementation.
- Background and experience in program evaluation and assessment.
- Commitment to high visibility on the campus and in the community.
- Strong listening, verbal, interpersonal, presentation and time management skills.
Please send a letter of application that addresses the various responsibilities of the position; resume; and the name, position title, email address and phone number of three professional references in a single PDF or MS Word file to:
Human Resources Office
801 National Road West
Richmond, IN 47374-4095
Email: [email protected]
The application deadline for consideration is May 15, 2019.
Earlham College is an Equal Opportunity Employer that seeks applications from candidates who contribute to diversity in terms of race, ethnicity, age, religious affiliation, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, and veteran status, among other distinctions and contributions. As a College with a Quaker identity, Earlham also is eager to solicit applications from members of the Religious Society of Friends (Quakers).
Earlham utilizes E-Verify to confirm employment eligibility for all newly hired employees within the United States.