Assistant Vice President for Communications & Marketing
Manhattanville College is seeking an Assistant Vice President for Communications and Marketing. Reporting to the Vice President of Institutional Advancement, the Assistant Vice President of Communications and Marketing (AVP) is responsible for the development of College’s marketing communication and branding strategies. The AVP plans and directs marketing communications activities in alignment with and in support of the College’s mission, vision, and goals in an effort to advance and protect its reputation, overall brand, and contribute to the College’s key success metrics.
Marketing Communication initiatives under the direction of the AVP include brand awareness, ad and media campaigns, media relations, web content, social media strategy and messaging, college publications, and implementation of marketing research and market segmentation strategies. The AVP will also collaborate with the VP for Enrollment Management who leads integrated direct response marketing efforts for both undergraduate and graduate enrollment efforts. The AVP should be a hands-on partner who will manage, develop and help produce as needed.
As Manhattanville’s communication and reputation management leader, the AVP is responsible for managing the College’s public relations and communication functions as well as represents the College in the community and region. The AVP directs communication strategies for external constituencies, internal communication strategies that support a cohesive and well informed College community, and manages all communications associated with crisis and issues management. In addition, the AVP serves as the principal media liaison, and is both Manhattanville’s spokesperson. The AVP will work closely with outside public relations firms as needed to further refine the brand and raise the visibility and reputation of Manhattanville College.
• Manage internal/external resources to maximize creative production and promote organizational efficiency
• Oversee emergency and crisis communication for the College
• Develop core marketing communications messaging, positioning, and brand strategy
• Develop and implement a strategic marketing communications plan to advance Manhattanville’s brand identity; broaden awareness of its programs and offerings; and increase the visibility of its programs across key stakeholder audiences
• Identify challenges and emerging issues faced by the College. Work with the leadership team and staff to recognize internal and external communications opportunities and solutions, and define and execute appropriate strategies to support them.
• Serve as communications counselor to leadership.
• Oversee development of the College’s print communications, marketing collateral materials, and electronic communications including website content and new media; manage relationships with associated vendors.
• Serve as a spokesperson and lead point person on media interactions that help promote and/or impact the institution
• Exercise judgment to prioritize media opportunities, and prepare talking points, speeches, presentations, and other supporting material as needed
• Actively engage, cultivate, and manage press relationships to ensure coverage surrounding Manhattanville’s programs, leadership, faculty, students, staff, special events, and public announcements
• Oversee the day-to-day activities of the Office of Communications function including budgeting, planning, and staff development
• Compose and edit written materials as needed and serve as final approval for College communications projects (newsletters, magazines, brochures, social media posts, etc.)
• Recruit and manage a communications team to support the development and execution of the marketing communications strategy
• Promote a culture of high performance and continuous improvement that values learning and a commitment to quality
• Mentor and develop staff using a supportive and collaborative approach on a consistent basis
• Establish and monitor staff performance and development goals, assign accountabilities, set objectives, establish priorities, conduct annual performance appraisals, and administer salary adjustments
• Bachelor's degree in communications, journalism, or related field is required
• Minimum 7+ years of experience in a senior management position in higher education; marketing communications is preferred
• Proven ability to provide creative direction while collaborating with and inspiring a diverse creative team of professionals, interns, and consultants
• Extensive successful writing and editing experience with a variety of print and online communications media
• Demonstrated experience and leadership in managing a comprehensive strategic communications department including media relations, as well as internal and external marketing communications programs to advance an organization’s mission and goals
• Demonstrated experience in creation, execution, and analysis of digital media campaigns
• Innovative thinker with a track record for translating strategic thinking into action plans and implementation
• Creative and thoughtful on how new media technologies can be utilized when appropriate
• Self-reliant, good problem solver, results oriented
• Excellent written, oral, interpersonal, and presentation skills
• Ability to develop and execute strategic messages while being both a leader and team player
• Ability to think quickly with a clear brand-consistent voice
• Strong organizational and prioritization skills
• Ability to make decisions in a changing environment and anticipate future needs
• Strong competency skills in Adobe Suite Products
For consideration, send cover letter and resume to [email protected]
Apply for Assistant Vice President for Communications & Marketing
Already uploaded your CV? Sign in to apply instantly