Assistant Vice President, Office of the Comptroller
Category:: Administrative Professionals
Locations:: Garden City, NY
Posted:: Apr 9, 2019
Closes:: May 9, 2019 - 11:59 PM EDT
About Nassau Community College:
Nassau Community College (NCC), a member of the State University of NY (SUNY) system of Colleges and Universities, is a diverse and multi-cultural campus. NCC provides equal employment opportunity and prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, marital, or veteran status. NCC promotes positive efforts in recruitment to achieve equity and inclusion and is conducting a search to fill anticipated staff and administrative vacancies. All vacancies are filled pending budget approval.
The Assistant Vice President for the Office of the Comptroller develops and implements accounting systems and controls which will provide for proper accounting of revenues and expenditures of all funds according to guidelines furnished by appropriating authorities, including Federal Agencies for funds received from Federal sources. The position oversees the preparation of financial statements prepared in accordance with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles, financial reports required by appropriating or granting authorities.
The Assistant Vice President for the Office of the Comptroller will:
- Assure the well-ordered operation of all finance and accounting functions and to participate in the financial aspects of presidential and Board of Trustee policy determinations.
- Ensure that work completed in the department is accurate, timely and in accordance with generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP) and that proper internal controls and safeguards are in place.
- Design, document, and implement accounting policies and procedures to assure compliance with GAAP, and OMB Circulars.
- Review schedules and journal entries for the month-end and year-end closes. Work closely with the auditors, providing account analyses and reconciliations for the annual audit, and the OMB Circular A-133 audit, when required.
- Stay current and comply with GASB, local, state and federal legislation affecting public sector law.
- Review / modify / design College Policies in consultation with College counsel to assure compliance with all relevant laws and regulations.
- Create and review financial statements, Board of Trustees agenda reports, and management information reports; stay abreast of significant developments.
- Manage and develop new processes and systems, where necessary, to create a more efficient and effective department and institution. Establish and review procedures for operational and control purposes.
- Provide consultation and analysis to the Vice President of Finance on a wide range of fiscal and operational issues including confidential issues and to make various policy and operational recommendations for their consideration.
- Plan the external audit and response to external and internal audit reports. Prepare and monitor budget for the Comptroller's cost center.
- Provide the Vice President of Finance with confidential information and advice in his/her performance of duties as a direct College representative during negotiations and contract administration with the associations and unions representing College employees pursuant to the Taylor Law of the State of New York.
- Oversee the mentoring, training and development of staff members.
- Perform various research projects at the request of senior management.
Minimum qualifications include Bachelor's degree in Accounting and active certification as a Certified Public Accountant (CPA).
A Master's degree in accounting, finance, business administration, or related area is preferred. Five (5) to ten (10) years of experience in college or university accounting, financial management or business management or Big 4 Public Accounting experience are preferred.
Additional requirements include:
- Extensive knowledge of the principles, theories and practices of accounting, auditing, budgeting and financial management.
- Proven experience in creating financial statements and general ledger functions.
- Ability to design, implement and evaluate new accounting and financial management procedures.
- Ability to prepare and analyze budgets and complex financial statements.
- Ability to supervise professional and clerical employees.
- Strong analytical ability and a critical eye for details.
- Well-developed skills in written and oral communication.
- Broad and deep knowledge of financial modeling and business practices.
- Ability to research and implement new and relevant accounting pronouncements issued by GASB.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, with proven ability to demonstrate professionalism and collegial interactions with employees and all stakeholders throughout the College Community.
- Knowledge of the College organizational structure and ability to work with all areas of the organization to solve problems.
- Detail-oriented with excellent time management and organizational skills.
- Proficient in Banner, MS Office, PeopleSoft.
This Assistant Vice President, Office of the Comptroller position reports directly to the Vice President of Finance.