Visiting Assistant Professor of Political Science (Political Theory), Starting September 1, 2019
Founded in 1969, Stockton University, New Jersey’s Distinctive Public University, is also one of America’s most distinctive public universities, consistently ranking among the nation’s finest educational institutions and among the top ten public Master’s institutions in the Northeast. Stockton proudly offers the academic, technological, and cultural advantages of a large institution combined with the community spirit of a small liberal arts college. Stockton is noted for combining an outstanding interdisciplinary approach to graduate and undergraduate education with all the qualities of an outstanding employer. We offer a unique vibrant working environment, a wealth of work related opportunities and outstanding employee benefits. Stockton is committed to attracting, encouraging and retaining a qualified workforce to support the mission of the University. The University is located in the Pinelands National Reserve in southern New Jersey, about one hour from Philadelphia, two hours from New York City, three hours from the Baltimore/Washington area, and 20 minutes from Atlantic City. The University’s location, active, stimulating campus life and diverse community make Stockton University a great place to work!
Stockton University, a New Jersey public institution with a distinctive, interdisciplinary focus and commitment to teaching excellence, seeks a Visiting Assistant Professor of Political Science specializing in Political Theory with emphasis in modern or contemporary theory. The successful candidate will offer undergraduate courses in Introduction to Politics, Introduction to Political Theory, Modern or Contemporary Political Theory, and Classical Political Theory. Ability to offer courses in one or more of the following areas is desired – Civic Engagement, Transnational Activism, Social Justice, Democratic Theory, Feminist Theory, especially from a global/comparative perspective.
- Regular teaching load is three courses (12 credit hours) per semester.
- The ability to support Stockton University’s diversity commitment and strong student-centered vision and mission.
- ABD in Political Science
- Evidence of excellent teaching experience or a demonstrable pedagogical commitment to teaching excellence is required.
- Applicants with a completed Ph.D. in Political Science
Salary commensurate with experience and is accompanied by an extremely competitive university benefits package.
Screening of applications begins immediately and will continue until the position is filled.
To apply please visit: https://stockton.hiretouch.com. Only electronic documents will be accepted. Please complete the on-line application in addition to providing the following required documents. All required documents must be submitted in order for your application to move forward. You may upload documents using Word or PDF
- A letter of interest describing qualifications and accomplishments
- A curriculum vitae
- Short (1-page) teaching philosophy statement
- Documents showing evidence of teaching effectiveness (student evaluations, course syllabi, teaching philosophy, professional development related to teaching).
- Unofficial Graduate transcripts
- A list of three professional references (included in the application): Name, Organization, Email address and Telephone
- All offers of employment are contingent upon a favorable background check.
- Individuals with disabilities desiring accommodations in the application process should contact: Sharon Hunt, Recruitment Manager at 609-652-4384.
- In accordance with the New Jersey First Act P.L. 2011 c.70, effective September 1, 2011, new public employees in certain positions are required to obtain New Jersey residency within one (1) year of employment. Applicants must meet the requirements listed.
- Prospective employees may access the Annual Security Report for the University at www.stockton.edu/campuspolice or contact the Campus Police department at 609-652-4378 to request a hard copy of the report.
- Stockton University is an equal opportunity institution encouraging a diverse pool of applicants, visit; http://www.stockton.edu/affirmative_action. Additionally, pursuant to Title IX of the Education Amendment of 1972, Stockton University prohibits discrimination on the basis of sex (i.e., which includes but is not limited to the prohibition of sexual misconduct and relationship violence, including sexual assault and harassment) in all of its educational programs and activities.